Using popcorn instead of #2 corn?

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Hi...Im new here.

Quick ?

I have a chance to buy some popcorn that was rejected due to lack of poping ability.

Does anybody have experience in this area. Seen some research saying its comparabe to feeding corn. As Baxter Black says...."Nobody is smarter than a buss load of county agents". :lol2: Just like I tried feeding all ground hay and distellers one year to background because University research said it should work. Lots of factors to consider on that, but I wasn't real impressed.

So thats why Im asking for real world experience. Does it work real well or not?

Thanks.

Never done it so don't really know. Seems popcorn would be harder, and more round so harder for the cow to break apart and you'd have a lot more pass thru. But if you can get it for half price or less or have a grinder to grind it what the heck.

Ya I got a grinder mixer. I think kernals would be too small and just go through screen. I need to get it home somehow, so thinking having it delivered to local feed mill and have them roll it (I was worried about hard kernal also) and then they can deliver it as well.

Feed analysis says Corn popcorn
protein 8.5% 10.6%
fiber 2.3% 1.8%
fat 3.6% 4.9%
M.E. 3412 3247

Got the info from a hog deal. Say not as much lysine so that negates the higher protein, yet vet said he thought for a ruminate that didn't matter.

Amo":1ttm3qwb said:
Ya I got a grinder mixer. I think kernals would be too small and just go through screen. I need to get it home somehow, so thinking having it delivered to local feed mill and have them roll it (I was worried about hard kernal also) and then they can deliver it as well.

Feed analysis says Corn popcorn
protein 8.5% 10.6%
fiber 2.3% 1.8%
fat 3.6% 4.9%
M.E. 3412 3247

Got the info from a hog deal. Say not as much lysine so that negates the higher protein, yet vet said he thought for a ruminate that didn't matter.

I'd just throw all that out the window and use 8% for my protein. You're not feeding it as yoru primary protein source (I hope) and the lower the protein the higher the energy.

No, rough hay and wet distellers. At corn $5 the ration (extension agent does it)calls for just distellers @ 51% and hay @ 49%. Too much fat in my book and no matter how much energy there would be in that I still think you need some corn. I tried feeding lots of distellers at a lessor rate than this and no corn last time corn got this high....university reasearch said it would work. Plus they did on feed trials.

Back to the corn ? Ideally if a person mixed the two types of corn in a blend would be safer I sopose, yet if it would work cheaper gain.

Ya I just posted them #'s to show how it compared to corn. The key is if it can be digested the same. Rolling should help.

Amo":3w1zvxtd said:
No, rough hay and wet distellers. At corn $5 the ration (extension agent does it)calls for just distellers @ 51% and hay @ 49%. Too much fat in my book and no matter how much energy there would be in that I still think you need some corn. I tried feeding lots of distellers at a lessor rate than this and no corn last time corn got this high....university reasearch said it would work. Plus they did on feed trials.

Back to the corn ? Ideally if a person mixed the two types of corn in a blend would be safer I sopose, yet if it would work cheaper gain.

Ya I just posted them #'s to show how it compared to corn. The key is if it can be digested the same. Rolling should help.
I had understood we should not feed distillers at higher than 1/3 the ration? Something about Ecoli problems,acidosis, etc. We don't feed that stuff...cows/calves/bull are teetotalers :lol: . We feed corn gluten which also had the ability to improve marbling scores - that's if animal has the genetics to do so.
Valerie