Anyone using .....

Help Support CattleToday:

Well it seems this is getting personal now. I was asked to throw my 2 cents in about bovazyme. Sure there are other products, I dont have the interest nor the time to get in a counter punching debate. Bovazyme has proven itself in my operation and it pays for itself even in these times of low milk prices. If you met Tony and Robby you would soon realize these guys are hardly slick salesmen trying to make a quick buck.

Southern Yankee":21ivjsjw said:
Well it seems this is getting personal now. I was asked to throw my 2 cents in about bovazyme. Sure there are other products, I dont have the interest nor the time to get in a counter punching debate. Bovazyme has proven itself in my operation and it pays for itself even in these times of low milk prices. If you met Tony and Robby you would soon realize these guys are hardly slick salesmen trying to make a quick buck.

Sometimes we need to remember we are not all in the dairy business, so, Is this something that benefits all ruminants or is it targeted to dairy?

I don't know any thing about that stuff thats being talked about vett, but the Amaferm will help your beef cattle get more out of lesser quailty forage. Also helps with the fescue around here I is in the Vita ferm mineral that i use. I can use the Amaferm and still sell all natural.

Southern Yankee":34500mz9 said:

Yank, nothing personal intended. I too have an opinion and simply stated it. Seems bovazyme is working for you so no reason to change...unless there's something just as good or better and more cost effective especially in this time of low milk prices. I'm sure Tony and Robby are good guys as well trying to make a living like the rest of us.

I know nothing about Amaferm or Biozyme. I'm curious as to how well it works in a dairy situation. Does it drop the components as is the case with Rumensin? I had been using Rumensin and the cows seemed to do better but the BF dropped way off and with component pricing I was losing my behind using it. I don't believe in putting every additive on the market into my ration but I try to keep an open mind and this product does sound like it would be worth looking further into.

novaman":2kqckomv said:
I know nothing about Amaferm or Biozyme. I'm curious as to how well it works in a dairy situation. Does it drop the components as is the case with Rumensin? I had been using Rumensin and the cows seemed to do better but the BF dropped way off and with component pricing I was losing my behind using it. I don't believe in putting every additive on the market into my ration but I try to keep an open mind and this product does sound like it would be worth looking further into.

Nova, don't know about the bovazyme as I've never used it, but Amaferm will actually give you a little bump in BF immediately...within a day or two, but it seems to be short lived....30-45 days after which BF will return to normal. Discontinue use for 30 days and put it back in the feed and you get the bump again.

For the beef side of the business I'd probably just go witht the Rumensin or Bovatec.

Bovazyme has been used with a number of animals and positive results have been achieved. Dairy, beef, and even deer. Improving nutrient availability by breaking down fiber potentially benefits all ruminants. There are a lot of field trials that have been completed across a broad section of the country covering thousands of head of cattle at various stages of growth that Tony and Robbie could provide you data for.

Regarding butter fat. We actually fed bovazyme before we added rumensin into the diet. When rumensin was put in we observed an increase in production and the bf held steady. Another benefit to feeding bovazyme has been the ability to lower the crude protein level in the diet. We are milking a herd of jerseys and hold a production level of 50 pounds per head per day with a 4.3-4.4% bf in the summer time. In the winter we hold 55-60 pounds and a 4.6 - 4.8 range. The diet is balanced for a protein level of 16%. There are consultants in the northeast who have been working with bovazyme that can provide accurate data to demonstrate this.

Hope this helps.

TexasBred":1i8o4p33 said:
novaman":1i8o4p33 said:

Nova, don't know about the bovazyme as I've never used it, but Amaferm will actually give you a little bump in BF immediately...within a day or two, but it seems to be short lived....30-45 days after which BF will return to normal. Discontinue use for 30 days and put it back in the feed and you get the bump again.

For the beef side of the business I'd probably just go witht the Rumensin or Bovatec.
Any idea why the bump is short-lived? I guess I hate changing my ration more than I have to. May not be a big deal but my nutritionist believes that keeping the ration consistant is a big deal.

novaman":2ts7mmr5 said:
TexasBred":2ts7mmr5 said:
novaman":2ts7mmr5 said:

Any idea why the bump is short-lived? I guess I hate changing my ration more than I have to. May not be a big deal but my nutritionist believes that keeping the ration consistant is a big deal.

Actually is was more of a "side benefit" as Biozyme has never promoted Amaferm as something that would increase butterfat but only that it increased utilization of all feeds. At 3 grams per head per day the cattle will never know it's in the feed so it's not like you actually change anything in the ration. And unlike some yeast and probiotic products it has an indefinite shelf life as it is not activated until it enters the rumen. Been on the market over 40 years and sold worldwide. www.biozyme.com

Yank I'd think you should be getting 5% or better BF on a jersey herd summer and winter and 3.7--3.8 milk protein.

Southern Yankee":17920ldu said:
This herd has been bred for high milk production at the expense of bf%.

I would breed for milk production as well but to sacrifice BF on Jerseys makes me :?: :?: :?: I'd think just about any jersey herd in the cooler climates should hit 60 lbs. without much effort. Does your nutritionist consider adding ingredients into the TMR that could raise the BF ?

This herd is in northwest GA. Hardly a cool climate! A big problem is that we do not have access to good corn silage.

Southern Yankee":2uj0v08u said:
This herd is in northwest GA. Hardly a cool climate! A big problem is that we do not have access to good corn silage.

You don't list your location so I didn't know you were in Georgia. Nope...probably ain't too cool and got humidity out the gazoo..If you have a vertical mixer you can work wonders with grass hay, a good grain ration, whole cottonseed and wet brewers grain. Stay cool if you can. :nod: