using alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

redsimangus

Reaction score
computer broke down so I can't figure up rations. I got some alfalfa and I was gonna feed some 200 to 300lb. calves with it. what should I add to ration to get 2lb.s a day?

sorry forgot to add that its decent quality. have corn soybean meal and several other stuff that are higher in protein. I don't think they need a lot more protein but maybe I'm wrong. prefer to use corn an soybean meal

or can I get higher gai s pretty easily with these smaller calves? I've heard that they are pretty efficient

Give them all the alfalfa they want unless you just want to limit them for some reason. Start them with about a half pound of corn and gradually increase it as they adjust to it. Won't hurt them at all to eventually get up to 4-5 lbs. of the corn per day along with all the alfalfa they want. Continue to slowly increase the corn as the calves gain weight. With the alfalfa I don't think you'll need the soybean meal at all.

would u say feed the corn at about 1.5% of bodyweight once they adjust to it or is that to high.

Latest posts