used equipment vs new

Help Support CattleToday:

We pretty much buy all our equipment used. If we have a need for something I do a lot of looking around and comparing new and used prices, brands, ect. I've never bought equipment at auction, it seems the auctions I've been to the prices get driven up so high you could almost buy it new. I buy pretty much all private party, some things from dealerships, like tractors. For example, the hay equipment we just bought was 1/3 the price of the equipment new. Yes, we spent some time on general maintenance on it and there have been a few things break, but we haven't spent over $100 on parts and that's not bad if you ask me.

Saw a used up New Idea disk mower sell for 2500 bucks this week-end. And 16 foot cattle panels that you can buy for 17 bucks sold for 25, go figure.

dun

Guy came in the store the other day that had been to a sale with a used Bunk Feeder. Asked him what he gave for it, told me 75.00. We sell new ones for 85.00. His was rusty and the liner was ripped. Also had an old galvanized 50 gallon tank that leaked, he gave 50.00 for it.New, they're 55.00. Lucky if the bottom don't fall out. People just get in a bidding frenzy and get plain ol' dumb.

I buy everything used. Mechanical items do wear out, but maintence is cheaper than new. So far have not picked a lemon yet. But my day will come I'm sure.
I like the simplicity of the drum mowers,(not a ccm) but the one I have tends to over chop when making hay. Took two
of the blades of each drum and it helped some. Am thinking
two more grab bars welded to the drum will fix it.

dj":1si0ll5b said:
I buy everything used. Mechanical items do wear out, but maintence is cheaper than new. So far have not picked a lemon yet. But my day will come I'm sure.
I like the simplicity of the drum mowers,(not a ccm) but the one I have tends to over chop when making hay. Took two
of the blades of each drum and it helped some. Am thinking
two more grab bars welded to the drum will fix it.

What brand of drum mower do you have? How many drums does it have and how many blades per drum does it have? We might be able to help you get the desired cut even if you have another brand than CCM.

A Reese, 2 drums, 4 blades per, but only 2 feed(?) bars per drum. It tends to throw a lot of chopped peices 1-2 inchs long.By taking the blades off that were inline with the grab bars it seems to have helped. Slowing the pto rpm helped some also. But heavy clover tends to bunch up so I was thinking maybe 2 more feed bars would help. It's great for brushhog/clipping pastures but I would like a cleaner cut when haying.

Triple D":2wdpz2c3 said:
Lest I know the equipments history I'd prefere to buy new. True, it depreciates, but that's a tax write off.

An excellent point - depending on your business tax situation, you might realize a significant advantage in buying new and amortizing the depreciation over a few years.

IRS Publication 225, Farmers Tax Guide, gives more details on depreciating equipment.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p225/index.html

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

I have always bought used tractors. I have never had any problems other than a generator go out or a waterpump. Just bought a new bush hog. Around here, if you buy a used one, someone has worn it out cutting cotton stalks with them. So I had to bite the bullet on that one. Just bought a used trackhoe. The tracks and undercarriage were in real good condition. I would say that it was 85%. I can't justify paying the new prices. Too many used tractors with low hours for sale. If you don't get in too big of a rush, you can get some decent deals.

Latest posts