Use a vitamin before and/or after AI

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
How many folks give a vitamin injection or oral before their AI session? Anyone do one afterwards? Why? How do you judge success?

hornedfrogbbq said:
NEFarmwife said:
We do when we insert CIDRS.

Why with cidrs versus other times?

We do the 30 day AI. For us, we're boosting the girls just prior to breeding.

They get other nutrition thru their feed but we think that extra boost 30 days post calving and 30 days prior to breeding, helps give them an edge on better health.

hornedfrogbbq said:
How many folks give a vitamin injection or oral before their AI session? Anyone do one afterwards? Why? How do you judge success?

Yes. We do AND we use vitafirm year round. -but we don't do it for all. I judge by haircoat and over all condition. We are in fescue country so uptake of copper mineral is important. Sometimes it seems some just don't do as well so we give them a boost of low dose of mm90 AND AD&E as we put in CIDRS too. Keep in mind though my standard is pretty high on looks. I like them slick shinny and with bcs of a 5 or 6 at breeding. Anything less gets the shots. -we are almost to the point where we can just cull on hair coat alone but until then we will just give a little help to the handful that don't look perfect on CIDR day. :cboy:

VitaFerm year round, and this year I gave MultiMin 30 days prior to breeding. (I used to give it at CiDR implant time)

I hate to jinx anything but my conception rate has been phenomenal thus far. To many factors for me to say that the MultiMin given at 30 days is the reason for it, but I will be doing it again next year. Previously I wondered if the MultiMin was doing anything for me and was thinking about discontinuing its use.

I vaccinate and give multimin 30 days prebreeding every year. It's a very good product. Mineral intake can be so varied cow to cow. Me keeping it out in front of them all the time can vary too. I like to be sure they all have a high quality chelated mineral in them at the right time. It's also pretty economical to use at $2.50 a dose.

And as a Plus it helps give a better immune response to the vaccine

Multi min at cidr insert time or 30 days prior to breeding. Has anyone seen a difference in conception? It sure would be easier at cidr time

Hogtiming said:
Multi min at cidr insert time or 30 days prior to breeding. Has anyone seen a difference in conception? It sure would be easier at cidr time

We believe in multimin. Our cidrs are at 30 days prior to breeding.

We've always done at cidr time though, even on a shorter cidr protocol. I'm not sure I've noted a difference.

Hogtiming said:

All I can say is I used to do it at CiDR implant time and had average conception rates for AI and ET. This year I did 30 days ahead of planned breeding/ET and have a 88% first service AI conception and am 100% on ET conceptions. Coincidence....maybe. I'm certainly not saying this is normal nor do I expect to repeat it again next year. However I will give MultiMin at 30 days pre breeding again next year.

Latest posts