Updated Pic of Junior

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
He just turned 2... how do you think he is doing? We justed separated him from the ladies over the weekend.

IMG_0878.jpg

Michele

First thing I noticed...he's got a nice package... :oops:

Alice

I like him pretty well. How big is he (frame score, weight) if you don't mind me asking.

Any reason his left nut is so much bigger than the right, or is that just the angle?

Badlands

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ior+family

This was the post when I picked up Junior.

Badlands - as far as hit nuts go, that is a good question.... Sometimes they sit level (like when he's more relaxed), but more often it seems the right one rides a bit higher :?: (like if he's on alert) They seem to be the same size, and I've asked my husband about it, and he doesn't have an answer either.... has anyone else seen this? Or is this an indication of something wrong?

I don't know his frame score or his weight. I will get his weight by a tape when we run him thru for vacc/deworm/tags... maybe this weekend, if we finish all the dirt work.

Michele

Michelle,

It could very well be nothing, but could also mean the degeneration of one of the testicles or one of the epididimi(sp?). This can have many causes, from a previous infection, overuse, injury, or heriditary causes. This may render the bull from normal fertility to slightly reduced fertility to infertility.

Could you get a few more photos and measure the scrotal circumference as well as the length of each testicle. This could make for some interesting discussion.

KNERSIE":u5q67q8c said:
Michelle,

It could very well be nothing, but could also mean the degeneration of one of the testicles or one of the epididimi(sp?). This can have many causes, from a previous infection, overuse, injury, or heriditary causes. This may render the bull from normal fertility to slightly reduced fertility to infertility.

Could you get a few more photos and measure the scrotal circumference as well as the length of each testicle. This could make for some interesting discussion.

Thank you for the input.... He was fertility tested before I bought him. He knocked all the breedable animals (13) in a timely manner. The calves should be dropping any day now.

When I get him in the chute, I will attempt :shock: to get these measurements as well.

Michele

mitchwi":1v087jap said:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24444&highlight=junior+family

This was the post when I picked up Junior.

Badlands - as far as hit nuts go, that is a good question.... Sometimes they sit level (like when he's more relaxed), but more often it seems the right one rides a bit higher :?: (like if he's on alert) They seem to be the same size, and I've asked my husband about it, and he doesn't have an answer either.... has anyone else seen this? Or is this an indication of something wrong?

I don't know his frame score or his weight. I will get his weight by a tape when we run him thru for vacc/deworm/tags... maybe this weekend, if we finish all the dirt work.

Michele

Our bulls do that from time to time and we haven't had any fertility problems. But I suppose it could be different if he does it all the time.

It sounds "odd", but that doesn't necessarily mean "bad".

The picture sure makes it look like that right nut is smaller, though at least when you snapped the picture.

It is poor practice to make decisions for a population about a single animal, so let's say that up front. ;-)

But, maybe the "up and down" is the early indication that something is "odd".

Did he look more "masculine" earlier?

I'm with Knersie, wondering if it is degenerating.

He sure looks like a fine maternal sort of bull, though. I like him a lot. Maybe not perfect, but it looks like he really covers the "basics" very well. That is better than being great at something we don't need as much, and suffering on the "basics".

Badlands

Badlands Did he look more "masculine" earlier? Badlands[/quote said:
Badlands, that is a problem with a lot of murray grey bulls. They don't look like a masculine bull. They are generally meaty but don't have the bull characteristics.

Badlands":1fvy3nkx said:
But, maybe the "up and down" is the early indication that something is "odd".

Did he look more "masculine" earlier?

I'm with Knersie, wondering if it is degenerating.

He sure looks like a fine maternal sort of bull, though. I like him a lot. Maybe not perfect, but it looks like he really covers the "basics" very well. That is better than being great at something we don't need as much, and suffering on the "basics".

Badlands

He is becoming more "masculine" with age...

I appreciate your input....and as soon as calves drop I will get some pics to see how is progeny come out. And, as soon as I can gather the statistical info of his nuts, I'll post that as well.

:D

Michele

Michelle,

I don't want to chase up ghosts, but because he sired a few calves doesn't mean he will do so again. Testicle degeneration can start later in life and as I said in my previous post could have been caused by many reasons. Thats why I'd also like to see the length of each testes and close up photos of the scrotum from front and back.

Not that I think anyone can make a proper assessment over the internet, but it would at least give you the warning lights instead of ending up with open cows.

Latest posts