Update: Could you recommend a smaller type car with good gas

Help Support CattleToday:

My wife drives a Cadillac Sedan Deville. She consistently gets 27 miles to the gallon. That is on all driving combined. We bought it used, one owner 2001 for $14000. We have had it for two years now. No problems what so ever. There is enough room in the back seat for all the grandkids to sit comfortably.

I drive a malibu for a work car...gets around 32 at 70-75mph on a straight higway run, 28mpg in town. Personally if I had known the impalas got 30+ on the hwy I would have went that way just for the comfort. But it was a fair bit cheaper. Also I am in it for 4 hrs at a time...I wouldn't mind a bit for an hour or two and it has been very reliable for 75,000 miles

hurleyjd":ctgg7y40 said:
My wife drives a Cadillac Sedan Deville. She consistently gets 27 miles to the gallon. That is on all driving combined. We bought it used, one owner 2001 for $14000. We have had it for two years now. No problems what so ever. There is enough room in the back seat for all the grandkids to sit comfortably.

2003 CTS...Van had it when we married... love it!

Alice

Let me preface this by saying that I've driven pickups all my life....... but due to the high gas prices I was forced to swallow the pride and buy a car. We bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, 2dr, 4cyl. I believe they replaced the Chevy Cavalier. IMHO, they look much better than the old Cav's. Anyway, I test drove it and at first I was skeptical but after running through the gears a few times I started to like it. We bought it, they're cheap and small yes, but the gas mileage is great, and as a previous poster stated, just keep oil and rubber on them and you'll be fine. I drive 64 miles round trip everyday into Austin. If you do decide to go the route of a small car I can tell you that the first time a rig passes you, or you pass them it's going to get his attention but you get over it. And also, he'll get a little more pissed when someone tailgates him in the car as opposed to the truck because it's a different perspective being lower. Parking is much easier too.
Good Luck.

hurleyjd":1cemp3uo said:

A friend of mines wife drives a Cadillac, one day a a pickup did a u-turn on a Hwy and she ran into the side of him at around 60 mph. Hit the pick up so hard it knocked the axle out from under the truck. She had her kids in the back seat, neither her nor the kids were seriously injured. Just some minor scrapes and soreness.

The HWY patrolman told her husband that the only reason they were alive was because of being in a larger well built car.

He took the insurance money and bought a Chevy Suburban, figuring even though the Caddy did the job the Suburban would be even safer. She hates it and wants another car but after seeing what he saw, she is going to be driving the biggest and heaviest Car on the market, no matter how much gas cost.

Impalas are great. Over 30 mpg and plenty of room.

By the way, I did a search on the Insurance Safety Institute's website and my wife's Pontiac G6 (35 mpg) actually has a much higher safety rating than my Silverado 4x4. Size is not the only factor to consider.

I have been driving the Chevy Lumina Car... I am on my 3rd. I have consistently been averaging approx 30mpg. I average 40,000 miles per year on a car.

1st was a '95, and it is still in use with 240,000 + miles, no major repairs. We use it as a backup for anyone in the family, mom, sis, etc.

2nd was a '98 son totaled it at 172,000 miles, no major repairs.

3rd, 2001, I am driving now, have 168,000 miles on it, no major repairs.

It is a larger car, can get the whole family in it, large trunk, good for hauling supplies.

Chevy realized they made too good of a car, so they quit production on them. Now choice is to go down a level with the Malibu or up a level with the Impala. I am hoping for the Impala, I really like that car.

I buy my cars used in the 60K mile range, very good bang for your buck.

Michele

We finally bought a car. We looked at and drove a lot of different cars and could not get away from the kind of car we have now. It is big, safe and very comfortable. So we bought another one and went to the same dealer because they have done us right in the past.

Before we decided we came across some bait and switch cars while looking online and made sure not to go to those dealers. One guy told me the car I was asking about had a contract on it. Huh???

aplusmnt":1v1nlwcu said:
My next car will be a Chevy Impala over 30 mpg and a full size car, American made to boot.

Other cars to consider for mileage.

Toyota Camry

Toyota Avalon (wife's current car gets 26 mpg and larger than most)

Toyota Echo....small small...but might push 40 mpg as a non hybrid

Toyota Corolla smaller pushes close to 40 mpg

Ford Focus.....inexpensive car good mileage

Pontiac Vibe, small but roomy, sister has one and gets mileage around 30 mpg and has lots of room for small car. Made by Toyota same as the Toyota Matrix.

Chevy Malibu

Besides a Hybrid the Diesel VW's get best of the bunch but I am afraid they might be costly in repairs and purchase price.

Wife drives about 3,000 miles a week for work and after weighing all things I will be replacing the Toyota Avalon in future with a Chevy Impala, large car with great mileage. She will be safer and not give up much in regards mileage. Also they can be had used for a decent price.

This is a good analysis. I'll make a pick--the Toyota Corolla.

They are peppy, good driving cars. I've known several over the years and owned one (a Geo Prizm for my daughter). For $/mile they just can't be beat. And they are tolerable for commuting adults, I think. The seats are pretty good, at least for me. Pricey, but when you go to sell there will be some interest.

A few years ago I bought a VW Beetle to dirve into the office on the days I'm not showing ranches.. and it's a GREAT little car! Much roomier than you would think, and good gas mileage. Plus it brings back "the old days".. for those of us over 40. :cboy:

TheBullLady":iugb5qxf said:
A few years ago I bought a VW Beetle to dirve into the office on the days I'm not showing ranches.. and it's a GREAT little car! Much roomier than you would think, and good gas mileage. Plus it brings back "the old days".. for those of us over 40. :cboy:

My husband bought one and I hate it. Is stuff falling off your's? Because I think that entire car is made of plastic stuck on with Elmer's School Glue. We have just watched parts fall off and break including two of the wheel emblems, one vent, the skirting between the road and the engine, the mirror knob, (good thing they were where we wanted them), and one headlight went out, which I was told was a 170.00 job and we have a mechanic that did it for 61.00, parts and labor. Everyone I know that owns one of these plastic cars has had the same problems. If we had it to do over...

That's what we get for getting one I guess. Looks cute when it has all it's parts...

You could try a Yugo. Every time you put in a gallon of gas you'ld quadruple the value of the car.

dun":20malmzf said:
You could try a Yugo. Every time you put in a gallon of gas you'ld quadruple the value of the car.

I bet them are worth some money now, kind of like the Edsel. Might not be able to find one.

They did get good gas mileage though, but you wore out the soles of your shoes pushing them, kind of a wash.

My son has a "Cobalt" It's held together real good,and he puts some milage on a car!

i replaced my suburban for a nissan sentra. nothing to brag about, only because its old. but it has such a small gas tank on it. i fill it up every 4 or 5 days. its only about 20 bucks a shot but im not used to having to do that. of corse im more used to spending 120 bucks are each fill tho too.

Our 2 vehicles:

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500, 2x4, 5.9 Cummins Diesel, 6spd manual - avg 18.5 mpg daily driving

2006.5 VW Jetta TDI Diesel, 5 spd manual - averaging 35-37 mpg right now, but it isn't broken in yet. Hoping to get in the mid 40's mpg.

I really like the Jetta diesels, only drawback I see so far is that it uses a 505.01 VW oil that I can only get at the dealer. VW did not make an '07 diesel because of emissions regulations in the US. They'll have an '08, from what I hear.

Some good Dodge and VW sites:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

Need to keep tires aired up to correct pressure to save gas for any car. That is a bother.
Do any of you have one of those things from Wally World or wherever that is supposed to pump up your tires. I guess it runs off car battery. Do they work or are they a waste of money?

Ryder":1nth2sum said:
Need to keep tires aired up to correct pressure to save gas for any car. That is a bother.
Do any of you have one of those things from Wally World or wherever that is supposed to pump up your tires. I guess it runs off car battery. Do they work or are they a waste of money?

I bought one once and took it back to get my money back the next day. It might work OK though just to put a couple pounds in it. I tried airing up a flat tire and did not work very good.

Also i imagine there is different brands and quality.

Latest posts