Unwell Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Williamsl

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 3 1/2 week old hefa that is not doing so well. She is on electrolytes daily ATM at well as I am tube feeding her, milk twice a day only 1.6ltrs each feed. She currently has a spiked Temp at 40.4 and went to the vet yesterday for an antibiotic needle and back again tomorrow for her 2nd needle. I currently have a damp nappy on her to try and bring her temp down. We are in North Queensland Townsville and have had huge heat the last few days around 38+ degrees. I am not sure what the best way to bring her temp down would be? Is it safe to give a calf Bute? I have read the container and doesn't really say. She is also grinding her teeth which I understand is stress. To be honest I have tried so much and I would hate to loose her now. Any help would be appreciated

She has coccidisis needs specific antibiotic Amprol I believe. She's too old for scours.
The electrolyte is great that you are doing.

If she has bright blood in her stool use Metacam
It is anti inflammatory and will help protect bowels from getting damaged

Only other suggestion is vitamin A and B into the electrolyte first thing in morning (helps line intestines) after that she will be fine within a week if she is a fighter

Latest posts