Unattended Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

scheff

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a heifer who gave her first calf a few days ago and both seem to be healthy. Today though I notice that the calf is being left on her own a lot and kicked away when trying to nurse. She is peeing, etc... so I guess she's getting some milk - but I don't see her getting much. The cow leaves the calf alone most of the day and tonight wandered off and left the calf behind. So I have two questions - is it common for the calf to be left behind and alone so often? And how often should tha calf be feeding? I brought the calf into the barnyard - but still the cow is nowhere around. Tomorrow I'll try to get her penned with the calf. How long can the calf go without nursing? Thanks in advance for your thoughts - I'm new!

As long as the calf looks good, no worries. It is normal for newborn calves to be left alone for extended periods. Goes back to instincts. Less momma cow the less the scent in the area. The calves sleep most of the time. Hard work coming out!

they do bed them down and go off and graze. but what bothers me is she didn't come running when you picked that calf up. I don't know how close your pasture is to your barn but she should be raising hell looking for that calf. was the calf strong when you picked it up or was it kinda weak and limp it may need bottle. they can go a little while with out eating but not too long. I would see if it would take a bottle then put it somewhere warm and safe for the night. then catch her in the morning and pen them up kinda watch from a distance see if she lets it nurse. if she is not letting it nurse it may have stolen enough milk from another cow to survive and you may have to put her in the chute and force the calf on her until she takes it or you can take them to the sale. some heifer are goofy and wont take a calf I've had a few like that

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. When I picked up the calf last night the momma was far out of sight. The calf didn't fight until I got her close to the barn and had plenty of energy at that time. This morning they are together and there was some kicking -but the calf seems to have gotten enough milk. All seems to be fine - but just bothered me that the momma would leave the calf in the grass alone all night while she was clear in a different pasture. Thanks again!

This situation bares close watching. If you can jug them up together for a couple days to make sure the mother bonds and the calf is getting plenty to eat it will help. Then pay close attention to calf health after turn out. I have thought everything was ok after a week only to find the cow dry later in the summer never having shown a tight bag or any concern over missing her calf.

In reading your last post since the cow came to the corral looking for the baby, as long as she is giving enough milk I bet you will be fine. @

scheff":3g5rv8uj said:
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. When I picked up the calf last night the momma was far out of sight. The calf didn't fight until I got her close to the barn and had plenty of energy at that time. This morning they are together and there was some kicking -but the calf seems to have gotten enough milk. All seems to be fine - but just bothered me that the momma would leave the calf in the grass alone all night while she was clear in a different pasture. Thanks again!

I have had heifers leave their calf before. In my mind, with the predators in my area, it is not OK for momma to go out and leave the calf overnight to where she can't even hear what is going on. I had a heifer leave a calf right up here by my house while she went way out in the back 40 (or really back 100). A pack of coyotes got after the calf, who got up looking for momma at some point. All was well, because my owns dogs keyed onto the activity so I was able to put a stop to it. So generally, I will pen them up together for a few days. Separation is bound to happen occasionally anyhow, that is just the nature of the beast, and a heifer will remember where she left her baby when her bag gets tight! But any away you cut it, I would pen them up so you can keep an eye on them for a few days and make usre the calf is getting adequate milk.

Latest posts