Un-invited guest

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
I guess it's another sign of the hard winter we have had this year. Caught a coyote snooping around inside the chicken house in broad daylight, Saturday afternoon. He didn't get any chickens even though there were a couple in there at the time - seemed to be after eggs. Hubby shot it; said it didn't weigh anything when he hauled it off. Guess it was just so hungry it got desperate. Never seen one come that close to the house (and dogs) before and we've lived there over 20 years.

I've seen several lately in the middle of the day. Must be tough on them this time of year after all the free deer carcuses have dried up.

I don't know much about coyotes, but we're hearing them howl more and more...especially around 3 in the morning. Wakes up the inside dogs...grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Alice

Seems I have been around the coyotes a lot. They don't bother me none. When I am mowing the big acre patch, they are out there grabbing mice and rats, right along side the tractor at times. I see them in broad daylight often. Always have.

If they will keep their distance, we will live and let live. We hear them all the time, there is a busy RR track along the back of our property and the train whistles make them sound off, like dogs and sirens I guess. We lock up the poultry at night and we try to put cows with new calves in the corral the first night or two in case mom would graze too far away from them in the pasture. By day three the calves are tagging along pretty good and should stay close enough for their mom to protect them. We've had lots of company down here that hears the coyotes and proclaims we need to go hunt them all down. But as long as they stick with dining on rabbits, mice and carrion, I figure they are God's creatures, too. That one just got too bold or too desperate and broke the rules so we had to shoot it.

1982vett":fxpguhwt said:
Just got thru shooting a skunk. Wish I'd have let it get a little farther from the house.

:lol2: Dang vett, I think you need to pick your battles.

Larry

1982vett":1wr3dp77 said:
Just got thru shooting a skunk. Wish I'd have let it get a little farther from the house.
I hate skunks more than any other animal on the face of the planet. I smelled one around the yard just yesterday. Just kill them all.

About 1:30 iearly afternoon 4 coyotes ran across the road in front of me.
I've been seeing them in the daytime lately.

Cal

larryshoat":4fv3ovi0 said:
1982vett":4fv3ovi0 said:

:lol2: Dang vett, I think you need to pick your battles.

Larry

:lol: Northwest wind and on the south side of the house....didn't think their would be a problem. Air currents do some strange things I guess. At least I won't have a shinky dog problem.... :lol2:

Coyotes are getting desperate here too. Couple of friends hit 2 of them on their snowmobiles the other day in the early afternoon (ok, maybe chased them down and then hit them). They've been getting close to the house too, my poor dog has been going crazy.

Latest posts