Ultra Black Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

none other than my neighboor has a herd of them and brangus , they are good cattle , but they are a little fast and high headed for me ,

This will kill your thread. SORRY. I like an ultra black cow, I'm not sure I would use an ultra black bull. You'd be getting in to the whole watering down heterosis situation. People here feel pretty strongly on both sides of that issue. I personally don't think that as a breed, their genetics are stabilized.

Those yellow tags on her hip might give a hint about the cause of that cow's behavior. And of course she might just be crazy. Anyway, there are plenty of gentle Brangus cows out there. I've got some.

Rafter S":brfm9bi0 said:
Those yellow tags on her hip might give a hint about the cause of that cow's behavior. And of course she might just be crazy. Anyway, there are plenty of gentle Brangus cows out there. I've got some.
She's not ultrablack or brangus. She looks to be at least half brahman if not 3/4.

TexasBred":1reab7mb said:
Rafter S":1reab7mb said:
She's not ultrablack or brangus. She looks to be at least half brahman if not 3/4.

I agree, though I don't think it's as much as 3/4.

Thanks for the replies. We have two found we may use this spring. They are on our place now and not at all high headed. We used a Hereford the last two years with plans to keep choice heifers as replacements. We don't want to get too much red in the mix, they dock you pretty bad in our area if they aren't black. We already had four red of twelve babies this year. Hope the rest are black and bald!

What are Ultra Black cattle? Are they a composite like brangus?? I've never heard of them, but we don't have anything eared up here in MN...

shortybreeder":2gtlbf6m said:
What are Ultra Black cattle? Are they a composite like brangus?? I've never heard of them, but we don't have anything eared up here in MN...

1/2 Brangus, and 1/2 Angus. So 3/16 Brahman blood and 13/16 Angus. They may be okay, but so many of the modern Brangus don't show much ear (or any other Brahman characteristics) anyway so I don't see much point.

AngusXBrangus. Good cattle for those of us in the upper South. Don't know that I see any need for someone in MN to have any Brahman influence.
Back in my younger days, I used to think every cow ought to be at least 1/4 Brahman - but I did grow up in the Gulf Coastal South.

Up here in the frigid northland of KY, I don't think I'd want more than 1/4 Brahman.
Don't currently have any Brahman influence in any of my cattle, and probably won't go there again - but I do love the look of some of those 'eared' cattle, and I'll readily admit that some of the nicest heifers I've seen in recent years were either AngusXBeefmaster or UltraBlacks...

Rafter S":2b2r2vet said:
shortybreeder":2b2r2vet said:

1/2 Brangus, and 1/2 Angus. So 3/16 Brahman blood and 13/16 Angus. They may be okay, but so many of the modern Brangus don't show much ear (or any other Brahman characteristics) anyway so I don't see much point.
You may be seeing some really diluted brangus and true ultra blacks down there. All the true brangus up this way will always have enough ear and frame to know they are definitely brangus.

kucala5":cwygtzf0 said:
Thanks for the replies. We have two found we may use this spring. They are on our place now and not at all high headed. We used a Hereford the last two years with plans to keep choice heifers as replacements. We don't want to get too much red in the mix, they dock you pretty bad in our area if they aren't black. We already had four red of twelve babies this year. Hope the rest are black and bald!

Where are you at in Arkansas?

I have many friends that breed Brangus, that now have Ultra Blacks in addition. Good cattle. They make good commercial cows. The ones I have been around are docile and easy calvers. Sell well here at our local sales.

TexasBred":10hgp4na said:
You may be seeing some really diluted brangus and true ultra blacks down there. All the true brangus up this way will always have enough ear and frame to know they are definitely brangus.

I'll need to buy a Brangus bull this year, and I don't want one that looks like an Angus. If I don't find one I like here I may contact you to see if you can put me in touch with someone near you, if that's okay.

WELL.....
i try to learn something every day....
Mission accomplished today .....
I had never heard of UltrBlack cattle either....
I can trudle off for my nap now....

kucala5":142yhqmt said:
This is one of the Ultra Blacks we will put in next month.
P4110003_zps7f0c033f.jpg
[/url][/img]

Latest posts