Ugg...people...heads in the sand...vet issues

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
Yes this does belong to the health and nutrition
Vet issues...NOT WITH OUR VET
We have a very good vet!
Here is the problem. In Manitoba, we have about 26 gov funded clinics. There is a local vet board who overseas each clinic, provides the building, some of the diagostic equip, hires the vet on a yearly contract. The province as a whole helps to subsidies the clinics so the prices are a little cheaper. There is a maximum fee schedule which the clinics can not go over.
Ours is below the fee schedule. However some clinics are a little more, some are less.
The problem...people with attitudes that vet services should be cheaper than what they are. That the vet charges too much. So they have complained to the vet board time and time again. They fired the vet gave her 6 months notice.
Not because she is a bad vet. Not because of any mal practice, but because they feel she charges too much and there are some personality conflicts with a few producers. The vet board use to work with the vet. Their meetings were inclusive of the vet. This new board has decided everything is "in camera". Meaning they are unwilling to work with the vet. They do not want her at the meetings and since the meeting as a whole is in camera, unwilling to tell the people why they fired a good vet without just cause.
The vet board is made up with 3 councillors from two munipalities, one rep from Manitoba Ag, and three citizens from both municpalites.

The vet, in getting her walking papers, got over 600 petitions from both small animal and large animal people. Over 40 letters from colleagues (sp) and went to both councils and presented her fee schedule and all this information. As well a guy from the vet gov (higher up) came and tried to mediate.
Some how this has escalated to a bunch of crap. The vet board refuses to acknowledge the wishes of the people and hear the few minority. And instead of investgating and coming to a resoulution, clam up and walk away.
Our vet has been here over a decade, married a cattle producer in the area, and is part of the community.
So after all this she is going into private practice here. Problem is, the practice will cost alot more. Not sure if we can afford those costs. For example, a c section will go from $300 to $450 give or take. I support our vet but what now?
Now i wish i had my head in the sand

rockridgecattle":sazzwguk said:
Here is the problem. In Manitoba, we have about 26 gov funded clinics.
You're absolutely right. The problem is that the government is funding veterinary services. :nod:

I think I'd let government idiots handle the no-brainer stuff and then use the vet that you like on the stuff that matters. Once word gets around that she's making a good living then maybe you can get to where you can pick and choose which vets to use for what and there will be enough competition to keep the prices low.

I didn't realize that government run heathcare up in Canada included livestock. Learn something every day.

I guess I should clarifiy gov run
The clinic itself is owned by the municipalities which it services. Most of the equipment is owned by the municpalites as well. The vet gets a per diem (sp) amount a month ($500 for our clinic, most 1000) to cover costs like cleaning, lawn mowning, parking lot snow clearing, clearing snow for the chute area. The amount is to also cover inspection costs of the diagnostic equipment. Since the vet is not required to build their own building and maintain it or the equipment, she then can charge less for services. The fee schedule a maximun schedule and is set by the province who has a vet pannel who goes over the costs. The vet her/himself, decided on what to charge below that mark, buys and pays for all the drugs and operates the business as they see fit. The idea for the gov funded clinic, is so we who live rather rural have access to the same equipment for diagnostic that other clinics do. Then if the vet does change, the equipment and building stay in the area. It has it's draw backs yes. For example, the vet board does not like you...you are out. The plus is though, no matter what vet comes in the area, the do not have to spend the $10 grand + for an ultra sound. Its a turn key operation.

My frustration comes from a few bad apples who think that vet services should never rise with the cost of living or the cost of doing business. They would rather get rid of a good vet and be without one for a while rather than either look elsewhere for service or just pay the bill.
My frustration comes from a vet board who would rather listen to the few bad apples than look at the big picture. We live in a very rural area. Finding a vet is hard. No one wants to come north and live in an isolated community which if one started at one end (south), could take 3+ hours just to exit the service area north. This is a large area for a vet. The other vet area east of us has been without a vet for a few years now...no one wants to come.

These bad apples think they are doing the rest of us a favor by getting rid of her. Not based on work, not based on malpractice, just based on cost (wanting things free) and based on she is a she and tells it like it is. No old farmer who has been doing it one way cause it worked for dad and grand dad wants to be told, how to give a needle properly or how to tube properly or if you cow came to the clinic earlier we could have saved the calf, rather blame the vet cause the calf died, the scour medication cost a fortune and does not work..because it did it my way instead of following directions.

But this is the vet I see.
RR, want me to come and do another C section on farm...thanks for the experience of having a cow tied to a pannel, tied to a hydro pole, cutting her open...much apprieciated, unsafe a the best of times...get a mat pen
RR, want to reduce your scour load, make a few simple changes so that less $ are spent in medication...scours are a management issue...change how you manange, the scours will reduce
RR, navel ill....same thing
RR, should have drenched that scour calf (long time ago). I know but we do not know how. Father in law always does it. Well, RR the calf is almost dead, lets practice on this calf and for a half hour, no charge sits on the cement floor of the clinic teaching two young farmers how to drench or tube a calf properly
RR, why is it you are getting rid of half your herd. Because we are short on hay. RR, let me tell you something, this cow has to go.
Why Vet,? Look at her, she is our best looking cow.
RR, because she is your best looking cow and heaviest. Her calf is not in the top 5 or even the top 10 of your heard. The calf is half way down. She eats more than she commits to the calf. Took her 4 hours to preg test 100 cows...should have been just over a hour. she charged us for two. Why, because she spent the rest of the time teaching me and coaxing me to make the right choices for downsizing our herd.

That is the vet I know.
Just don't know if i will be able to afford the new prices cause she has to supply her building, the up keep and the diagnostic equip and the cost to keep it up. All this will figure now into the cost of her prices.
Just wish the vet board could have sucked up their misplaced pride, realized they terminated a good vet for the wrong reasons and life go back to the way it was.

Latest posts