two years old is too young to have a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259; Point well taken. However I have always believed that knowledge, for anyone, about anything, somehow always benefits society in some way. I could be wrong.

LET"S CLEAR THE AIR. How did this thread become about me? I brought up what I thought to be a pertinent point about cattle breeding and now several replies have become personal. Why?

Perhaps the fault is my honesty. Maybe I should have said I was a beginner with a few cows in Hooterville.

Would I have received a warmer welcome? I listed my beliefs (as of now) as a starting point for discussion and clearly asked to be proven wrong--PROVEN wrong not opinionated wrong. Clearly there is no one right answer to many of my points.

Perhaps I should not have been so open as to how I attained my knowledge and understanding of cattle.

I have talked to cattlemen who are just plain stupid about their chosen profession (same thing for restaurateurs), yet they claim to be experts because their grandfather started raising cattle back in 1916 or so. Who cares where the knowledge comes from so long as it gets here? And who cares if it lands on you or me, so long as we share it? You are not the only one who can benefit from your experiences, nor are you the only one who can benefit from my ignorance. A wise man learns much more from a fool than the fool learns from the wise man.

Perhaps I should have asked only soft ball questions.

Is this a discussion group or a game show? Which is more beneficial, a powder-puff question or a deep discussion about a topic with which we are unfamiliar? I don't want someone to validate my opinion, I want someone to challenge it, without disparaging me or others. I want to learn. (I will concede that, being an armchair cowboy, my idea of a deep discussion may be old hat that has long ago been settled for you all.)

THE PITA CONSPIARACY

Not in so many words, but it feels as though I am being accused of spying for some animal rights group or anti-ag society. I'm not, but what if I were? Are you all so insecure that you're afraid of the idiots that make up their memberships? I hope not for if you are, you are doomed. They smell the fear and they're spoiling for a fight.

Banjo":2jmmh16w said:
Lucky_P":2jmmh16w said:
I'd love all my heifers to calve out at 24 months... or by 27 months. Not all do. Many will have a 'hiccup' somewhere along the line... either not breeding at 15-17 months... or not breeding back in time as a 1st-calver. With dual fall/spring breeding calving seasons, we don't necessarily hesitate to roll one from one season to the other... you don't lose much time. A second 'hiccup' moves 'em to the cull list.
Sure, some will say "You're not selecting for fertility!" - and maybe I'm not. But... it's what we do; we're making money with them... and I'm not dependent upon the cattle for survival income, anyway.

So what happens after 27 months and they have already had a calf? Does the pelvis bones/ birth canal still have that extra wiggle room from then on even after it fuses together?

I'm farming for profit and don't want anything but spring calves. So that but that puts them being bred at 15 months. Pulled one last year both were fine.

Latest posts