two week old weak calf, Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Update:
Well, Last night we turned the corner it seems, We gave him just the electrolytes early in the afternoon and by the time we got to the barn at 6 pm he was trying to stand. We tried some calf starter (1/4 cup) and he wolfed it down!! He also nibbled on some hay. we gave him a little bit more to drink. By 10 pm last night he was ready to drink from a bottle, He was still having a little trouble suckling but we got it down him with out tubing! I was still nervous walking into the barn this morning but he was still alive, actually he got up on his own ( fell down 3 times ) but was standing there waiting for his bottle. He sucked that thing down in no time, For the whole week that we had him that never happened. he also grabbed a few bits of calf starter though I didn't know how much to let him get. He actually ate that better than the healthy ones we have. So.... I hope we are on the up hill side of this. I have to now write this all down so I dont forget this the next time we are in this mess. Oh and by the way, no one sells Kick Start here, they have heard of it but don't carry it. might have to look for it on the web.
Thanks everyone for the info, I definitly feel like We are not just winging it anymore.

There are a bunch of similar products. We used Entrolyte HE from Pfizer for our scourer, that and IVs of lactated ringers saved him

Good news!

Also for scours we have used a product called "Optimil Complete" or "Scour-Ease" [both the same thing, they changed names and I don't remember which name is the current one] -- it's a scour medication, milk replacer in one so you don't have to give them scour meds, wait 4 hours then give milk replacer... after 2 servings of that in the bottle they were done scouring for sure...

Good luck and please keep us posted.

the little guy seems to be doing o.k. He is waiting now for his bottle He looks like and acts like he is getting stronger so I think we did it this time. Thanks for the help.

Continue to give electrolytes between meals, at least a quart, two if he will drink it. As Alice used to suggest, probios might be a benefit.

Larry

well, I tried to post pics of this little guy and I think I need a new computer, nothing seems to work!!
He is doing well, yesterday he seemed dull again and I called the vet, and picked her brain again. She thought that maybe the virus wasn't out of his system and the milk replacer just started it up again . So back on just electrolytes for another day at least. Thank you again for the help. Between the cattle forum and the poultry forum I feel confident that if I have a question I can find it.
Nope I can't download a pic.

Shelleyz":keexhi33 said:
well, I tried to post pics of this little guy and I think I need a new computer, nothing seems to work!!
He is doing well, yesterday he seemed dull again and I called the vet, and picked her brain again. She thought that maybe the virus wasn't out of his system and the milk replacer just started it up again . So back on just electrolytes for another day at least. Thank you again for the help. Between the cattle forum and the poultry forum I feel confident that if I have a question I can find it.
Nope I can't download a pic.
set up a photobucket account and then copy and paste the img tag to here

Just put
around the http line and you have it

Shelleyz":3om4polm said:
102_2556.jpg

You mean like this? Where are my teenagers when I need them!?!

Jeanne, Thank you, I needed to hear that!! We have four boys and I just said goodbye to my oldest 3 weeks ago. He headed out west on the harvest crew. Oklahoma to be exact, near where the tornadoes were this week. Mother's day was a little hard without all of my boys here with me. When this little guy seemed to turn the corner and start getting better I got all teary eyed, even though I know that he will be on the diner plate someday. It's been a difficult couple of weeks with everything that's happening, so again Thank you for saying that.

Thank you very much. I am feeling much better about this week already!! Strawberries are now ready to be picked tomorrow! YUMMM!!

Lancaster County PA. How about you? I am originally from Saratoga NY and my parents are from Worchester NY ( near Oneonta).

I have a few relatives that live in Watertown, Bellville area actually. I really like that area up there. My husband and his family has a trucking Co. that goes up that way with the trucks, usually when there is snow falling :). I tell my boys of the time when I was really little of my parents taking me to a winery over at the fingerlakes and you could look though the brick building and see a lake way down below. I was thinking that it was a monastry of some sort. Beautiful country up there you have.

Latest posts