Two New Hereford Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ashton V

Reaction score
Picked up two new hereford heifers this weekend. They are last march's calves, so they are almost exactly a year old. What do you guys think?

First Heifer
IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

Second Heifer
IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

I know I cut the a** off the second heifer when I uploaded the pics. Hopefully Dun will come along and resize for me :D

Fine heifers. Good depth of body and heart girth! Should make you some excellent calves with a compatible bull. Strong toplines and should develop excellent udders! Be sure and watch the udder of the Dam of the bull to which you plan to breed them if you wish to retain heifers from the mating. You have a good start from what I can detect at this age.

DOC HARRIS

Sorry can;t fix them. Those young ladys look like they need to be bred to a Gelbvieh

KNERSIE":8n2x9prm said:
Not my bag of chips, but i hope they do well for you.

Harley, with your Hereford and judging experience it would be helpful to hear why they are not "your bag of chips". Please elaborate. Few of us have perfect cattle and can stand to learn.

Jim

Ashton, I do love Herefords, if you don't mind sharing, how are they bred?

Alan

SRBeef":1h4qezat said:
KNERSIE":1h4qezat said:

Harley, with your Hereford and judging experience it would be helpful to hear why they are not "your bag of chips". Please elaborate. Few of us have perfect cattle and can stand to learn.

Jim
My thoughts exactly! I would be very appreciative if you would post some pics of some heifers that you prefer and compare the two Knersie. I too can stand to learn in this regard.

Alan":13luvrrt said:
Ashton, I do love Herefords, if you don't mind sharing, how are they bred?

Alan
bigbull338":13luvrrt said:
they are fine looking heifers.i to was wondering about their breeding.

Their dams were commercial herefords. Sire is registered. GIve me some time and i will dig up his registration number. I went and looked at em last weekend and looked at the dams and sire and also the epd's on the sire. He had a moderate birth weight and decent yearling and weaning weights. The milk epd was average. Their dams were good thick cows with really nice udders. I feel that they will be a nice addition to the herd and they will throw some nice lookin calves.

ga.prime":13luvrrt said:
First heifer looks like she's prematurely aged.

I somewhat thought that too the first time I saw her, but I really gave her a thorough look-over and everything seems sound with her. Took her to my vet, who I trust and has done a fantastic job for me, and had him really give her a look and check her teeth and he too said everything looked good.

Isomade":3vpzb7ti said:
SRBeef":3vpzb7ti said:
KNERSIE":3vpzb7ti said:

Jim
My thoughts exactly! I would be very appreciative if you would post some pics of some heifers that you prefer and compare the two Knersie. I too can stand to learn in this regard.

Me too. I am always open to learning and constructive criticism. :D I can accomplish a lot more by learning from you guys.

SRBeef":3trwq4sx said:
KNERSIE":3trwq4sx said:

Jim

I am guessing he means later maturing and to big? I suspect they will be bigger than your 1250 lb cows Jim.

That may not be it at all? They just look like they will be bigger in the pics.

KNERSIE":2eacoec7 said:

Just guessing but from what I can "see" in the pictures they both look like they have pretty decent eyes. No?

Despite what all the armchair quarterbacks say-you won't know whose the better heifer till they've weaned a calf and bred back. Pretty is as pretty does. I don't see any glaring structural flaws in them so it's a wait and see proposition. I just bought 150 baldy yearlings for a client-there's no way of sorting them as too future usefulness till they've done some breeding, raising and rebreeding. We all can sort them for how they please our own eye but that's all. They have sound cattle behind them and should grow up to be the same.

Not bad looking. I would like to see them at the end of summer with a calf at their side.

Some of you were asking about Knersies cattle. Here is a picture of one of his heifers he sent me.
0726.jpg

I luv herfrds":3liowy8o said:
Not bad looking. I would like to see them at the end of summer with a calf at their side.

Some of you were asking about Knersies cattle. Here is a picture of one of his heifers he sent me.
0726.jpg
This is the firs time I have seen Knersies cattle. Not that my opinion matters much as a commercial cattleman, but that is an outstanding heifer. Feminine, deep, wide, and an outstanding azz, while moderate in size. :tiphat: wish you lived closer to Oklahoma Knersie.

I'll throw in my two cents whether it's wanted or not. I think JHH hit on the head, the heifers look later maturing and maybe will grow to be bigger framed cows. With that said all that matters is what kind of cows the turn into, nice calves that do well. As NR said, arm chair QB's have an opinion but what counts is how they do.

I still would like to know their breeding if you get time.

Alan

SRBeef":1rnti1xy said:
KNERSIE":1rnti1xy said:

Jim

They are simply not my type, or probably better put they are not the type that works for me.

Since you asked here is how I see them.

The first heifer could do with more femininity and she has a slight reverse wedge, her neck is quite coarse and she has a very plain head. She lacks length from hooks to pins and although a rear view picture isn't included she appears that she may also lack width between the pins. There is quite a slope from hooks to pins which isn't necessarily a bad thing as longs as it isn't too extreme and as long as there is enough muscle to make a round full rump. Ideally you want the animal to be close to equally long from hooks to pins as it is from hooks to crops and from crops to poll to be ideally balanced. She certainly isn't a very early maturing type, but she isn't extremely late maturing either and I doubt she'll be extreme is size when mature. At this point the jury is still out on her milking ability and I don't see any real indication of a highly maternal animal at this stage, but it isn't to say she won't be able to raise a decent calf when mated to the right bull. She looks good enough for soundness for a commercial set up.

The second heifer is definately later maturing than the first as can bee seen in the longer head and much longer cannon bone, she also has more substance to her and should develop into quite a large, but more powerful cow than the first heifer. She is better muscled, is better balanced and has more heart girth. Her head is again quite plain and the muzzle could do with more width. Her hair coat isn't as good for a hot climate as the first heifer's. On better pasture she'll more than likely outproduce the first heifer, but will very likely need more groceries to maintain equal BCS.

Both are light boned and could do with more bone, muscle and femininity, they may not be culls, but they aren't top heifers either. Before someone say what is the significance of a head, its goes into the skip anyway.... it has everything to do with endocrine balance, to be highly fertile and maternal you need high levels of estrogen, high levels of estrogen will in turn make for a more refined head and neck and more of a wedge shape. There are exceptions to the rule, but generally the more feminine heifers turn into more productive cows.

The heifer of mine Cris posted turned into a good cow, she never was at the very top end of my heifers and probably never will be at the very top end of my cows, but she is a good example of what I select for.

Latest posts