Twin heifer calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Went out at 6:30 tonight and found new calf next to cow, all was well.

Went back out at 7:00 to find second calf next to cow, all still well. #2 a bit unsteady, but progressing.

Question is: If both calves are heifers, are they to be looked at as freemartins, or does that only apply to bull/heifer twins?

(the phrase counting chickens before they hatch comes to mine, but thought keeps coming to mind. )

travlnusa":30yz0kev said:

Went back out at 7:00 to find second calf next to cow, all still well. #2 a bit unsteady, but progressing.

Question is: If both calves are heifers, are they to be looked at as freemartins, or does that only apply to bull/heifer twins?

(the phrase counting chickens before they hatch comes to mine, but thought keeps coming to mind. )

Heifer twins should be fine. It's the male hormones from the bull twin that causes the heifer twin to be sterile.

I hope all goes well with the twins.

travlnusa":2hqjozfu said:

you can raise an keep twin heifers.they are not freemaetins.personally id raise them an keep them for my herd.

Ended up with one of each, both huge for twins.

Bull is 82lbs

Heifer is 78lbs

Guess I wont worry about calving ease for cow next year.

Latest posts