Turkey vultures/buzzards

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
I have noticed a lot more turkey vultures and or buzzards flying around this year. Not only here at our place but in other areas of Iowa. Has anyone else noticed a marked increase? When I was getting the round bales from the hay field last weekend i counted 17 gliding around the area. I saw some at another farm about 100 miles away and I asked the farmer if that was new this year and he said he had noticed more this year than before. I have not noticed anymore road kill than usual but we do have a lot of dead deer every year, so they do have a use. I was just wondering what's going on other places. JLP

About the same as usual around here. Some days I'll see a half dozen then nothing for a week or two.

Cutting hay in June around here kills a lot of deer fawn. They hide in the grass and will not run, and a rotary mower makes a quick meal of them. I try and watch for them but it is impossible to see them all. There is always some field mice and a few snakes that get hit also. The buzzards help clean up the mess. I haven't seen any more this year than usual.
Fred

There seems to be less around here. There is absolutely a great deal more Mexican Buzzards who attack new born calves. SSS

Turkey Buzzards are safe around here but everyone has declared war against the MBs. We are losing the war.

Fred Belknap":86bz7jom said:
Cutting hay in June around here kills a lot of deer fawn. They hide in the grass and will not run, and a rotary mower makes a quick meal of them. I try and watch for them but it is impossible to see them all. There is always some field mice and a few snakes that get hit also. The buzzards help clean up the mess. I haven't seen any more this year than usual.
Fred

You are sure right about that Fred,seems like I caint cut long and Im moving baby deer outa the way of my cutter.....................good luck
IMG_1139.jpg

Cute little bugger. I hate it when I hit one. The mommies don't seem to threaten me to much but I have a little black dog that goes with me most of the time and they have just about killed her a few times. Two got after her one day and I put her on the tractor for a while. She would get away from one and go to the other end of the field and then another doe would get after her. :D
Fred

Latest posts