Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

Waterway65":1blfpclc said:
We are calving right now and there are four turkey vultures cleaning up After births. After reading these posts I have been keeping a close eye on them.

Your cows don't eat the afterbirth?

cfpinz":2t2d6owl said:
Waterway65":2t2d6owl said:
We are calving right now and there are four turkey vultures cleaning up After births. After reading these posts I have been keeping a close eye on them.

Some of mine do. Some of mine don't. But if I find it before they can eat it, I take charge of disposing of it.

Margonme":214sdznt said:
cfpinz":214sdznt said:
Waterway65":214sdznt said:

Some of mine do. Some of mine don't. But if I find it before they can eat it, I take charge of disposing of it.

Interfering with Mother Nature, that usually turns out well.

cfpinz":2j5rbg3v said:
Margonme":2j5rbg3v said:
cfpinz":2j5rbg3v said:

Well I know of two cows that have choked on eating afterbirth. So we dispose of any we find.

True Grit Farms":1jtzmo0h said:
cfpinz":1jtzmo0h said:
Margonme":1jtzmo0h said:

Well I know of two cows that have choked on eating afterbirth. So we dispose of any we find.

I've heard of that happening. Scary! Most of our cows eat the afterbirth but not all (and not just heifers). If it's still there after a couple hours we get rid of it.

cfpinz":kz1mm8na said:
Margonme":kz1mm8na said:
cfpinz":kz1mm8na said:

In the case of afterbirth it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

TexasBred":2ivv2067 said:
cfpinz":2ivv2067 said:
Margonme":2ivv2067 said:

In the case of afterbirth it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

I've read that there is a fair amount of nutrients present in afterbirth, though it doesn't look very appealing to me.

The only afterbirth I've ever had to dispose of was when we had a cow calve or we pulled the calf in the barn, and I got tired of stepping over it and didn't want the dog to eat it. Otherwise, nature will take it's course, one way or the other.

Latest posts