Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

TCRanch":37gcc9ip said:
Vile, nasty creatures. And yet somehow kind of cool in a creepy sort of way. Keeping watch over the lake for unsuspecting prey.

Those are Turkey Vultures. Not a problem. The Mexican Vulture is a cattleperson's nightmare.

Margonme":38rqqig9 said:
TCRanch":38rqqig9 said:
Vile, nasty creatures. And yet somehow kind of cool in a creepy sort of way. Keeping watch over the lake for unsuspecting prey.

Those are Turkey Vultures. Not a problem. The Mexican Vulture is a cattleperson's nightmare.

Good to know. How can you tell the difference? I've heard of vultures preying on cattle that are calving, prolapsed, down, etc but fortunately have never experienced it & they don't seem to bother the cattle (and vise-versa).

NECowboy":1adft983 said:
TCRanch":1adft983 said:

TC is that your lake? Incredible!

Yup. Fully stocked. The overflow, on the other side of the dam, is like fishing out of a barrel (but there's a lot of snakes).

TCRanch":156rsjab said:
Margonme":156rsjab said:
TCRanch":156rsjab said:

Good to know. How can you tell the difference? I've heard of vultures preying on cattle that are calving, prolapsed, down, etc but fortunately have never experienced it & they don't seem to bother the cattle (and vise-versa).

Thanks for your question. TC, your picture depicts a bird with a head that is not feathered. The beak is distinctly different. The Turkey vulture has a turndowned beak. The Turkey Vulture does not prey on live calves. The gray or Mexican Vulture attacks live calves. Pecking out their eyes and killing them. The Mexican Vultures has a feathered head of a gray color. The Turkey Vulture has a bare head of brightly red color like a turkey's head.

Margonme":3imbrhmo said:
TCRanch":3imbrhmo said:
Margonme":3imbrhmo said:

Thanks for your question. TC, your picture depicts a bird with a head that is not feathered. The beak is distinctly different. The Turkey vulture has a turndowned beak. The Turkey Vulture does not prey on live calves. The gray or Mexican Vulture attacks live calves. Pecking out their eyes and killing them. The Mexican Vultures has a feathered head of a gray color. The Turkey Vulture has a bare head of brightly red color like a turkey's head.

Well I'm glad I asked but YIKES. Thanks for the info - they're definitely red heads.

15qoj7t.jpg

I have tried the upload thing at the bottom of the page. I worked back when It first was made available. For some reason I cannot get a photo to load. Maybe its my laptop.

Bu I did try to get a couple of photos of those dastardly vulures. :(

TennesseeTuxedo":2y88wcen said:
Pray you are never cursed with the Mexican buzzards. Lost 6 calves to them 3 years ago.

I never lost any calves to them, but I had a heifer get down after trying to have a calf years ago. She couldn't get away from them. It almost made me sick to my stomach when I found her.

Rafter S":1e4la649 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1e4la649 said:
Pray you are never cursed with the Mexican buzzards. Lost 6 calves to them 3 years ago.

I never lost any calves to them, but I had a heifer get down after trying to have a calf years ago. She couldn't get away from them. It almost made me sick to my stomach when I found her.

I have seen a lot of dead ones here. :D

I have a Cooper Montana Varmint Rifle in .223.

Margonme":2qyie6xp said:
The Turkey Vulture does not prey on live calves.

The hell they don't. Nowhere near as often as the Mexican variety, but I've seen the turkey vultures go after calves while being born or shortly thereafter.

What TC has there is a target rich environment.

Latest posts