Buzzards.............

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8 said:
This is why i sit by a cow calving to snatch the afterbirth if i come across one calving. Its the reason i spend so much time on my 4wheeler in the fields.... I know i've mentioned it before and got negative comments..lol... I leave no afterbirth on the ground. Sometimes i sit for hours waiting.. I never want to drive up to a cow fighting those devil birds and have a dead or injured calf to have to deal with. I even have a blog with years of picking the slop up and disposing them in animal holes..

I appreciate your comment and no doubt you take good care of your animals (better than I). Not trying to be a SA, but at one point the property is 2 miles long. No way can I babysit each animal. My main goal it to make sure they don't go hungry and do the rest as best I can.

jltrent said:
cowgirl8 said:
This is why i sit by a cow calving to snatch the afterbirth if i come across one calving. Its the reason i spend so much time on my 4wheeler in the fields.... I know i've mentioned it before and got negative comments..lol... I leave no afterbirth on the ground. Sometimes i sit for hours waiting.. I never want to drive up to a cow fighting those devil birds and have a dead or injured calf to have to deal with. I even have a blog with years of picking the slop up and disposing them in animal holes..

I appreciate your comment and no doubt you take good care of your animals (better than I). Not trying to be a SA, but at one point the property is 2 miles long. No way can I babysit each animal. My main goal it to make sure they don't go hungry and do the rest as best I can.

I know most cant, didnt mean it that way.. Just that its the only answer to control loss. Shooting one here and there does nothing...other than maybe make you feel better. Its ranchers new normal....

And sorry about your calf.. We have just let nature take it course with a break like this and the calf survived and somewhat healed. We gave one to one of our kids and it grew to a nice freezer size...

TennesseeTuxedo said:
cowgirl8 said:
I know a guy who accidently killed a couple and got a 10,000 dollar fine...

No you don't.

I posted the story somewhere in this forum.. Yeah, he poisoned some pigs and the vultures at the pigs.. killed vultures.. he was arrested, fined 10,000....

"Purviance's use of Temek did result in the deaths of some feral hogs, which can cause major damage to property and livestock. However, the poisoned corn also killed raccoons and possums and several types of migratory birds protected by federal law. Six red-winged blackbirds, five northern cardinals and one black vulture died from eating the Temek-laced corn Purviance put out hoping to kill the hog pests.

Purviance faces up to a $25,000 fine on each count. Unlawful taking of migratory birds is punishable by up to a year in prison and unlawful use of a pesticide is punishable by up to six months in prison. However, Purviance's plea agreement includes a year of probation, several thousand in fines and community service. Purviance will return to court for formal sentencing in a few months. He is currently free on an unsecured bond."

Says one buzzard was killed and the fine was "several thousand dollars". Whether you actually knew him is anybody's guess.

Technically, i was hoping to prove it to you, and not post the story here. I'm sure he wants to forget about it but might would want to warn anyone who suggest killing them, he's a really nice guy. Why would it bother you that i know this person? Does it make a difference?

Credibility. 1 vulture was accidentally killed and he paid a fine of several thousand dollars. Not 2 birds and not $10,000.00.

Whether or not you know the guy, well, I guess we'll just have to take your word for that.

I know more to the story than the news reported.. But whatever flips your skirt....

TennesseeTuxedo said:
https://txktoday.com/around-town/man-pleads-guilty-killing-protected-birds-bowie-county/

I wonder how the authorities found out. Are game wardens really active there, or did the guy advertise what he did. I'm sure that could be done around where I live, and nobody would even know.

herofan said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
https://txktoday.com/around-town/man-pleads-guilty-killing-protected-birds-bowie-county/

I wonder how the authorities found out. Are game wardens really active there, or did the guy advertise what he did. I'm sure that could be done around where I live, and nobody would even know.

Neighbors noticed lots of dead birds and notified him. He felt really bad and turned himself in and really didnt expect to get in so much trouble. He should have done it in RR county..lol... not bowie.. He had been trying to grow some corn, cant remember how many acres, something like 80 acres. The pigs kept tearing it up...

Latest posts