Trying a new marinade

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Trying to empty out the freezer before new stock goes in. So i Have 2 more split hams thawed out and trying a marinade of half gallon of oj, one pint cheap whiskey, garlic, 4 tbs salt, 2 tbsp pepper, one cup apple cider vinegar, one cup worcheshhire, and one cup lemon juice.
Then i found out its called a whiskey mojo marinade. I googled it to see if i was the only one craY enough to try the flavor combo.
Smoking the hams saturday. Theyll also get a rub with a honey base. Looking for a tangy sweet flavor so this should be interesting.
Only 2 more split hams and one boston left in the freezer after this

Don't throw out that marinade. You can always drink it later. You will get a nice flushin and drunk at the same time. Chances are you will wanna wear one of those adult diapers tho!

FWIW
I sounds like it would work pretty good!

I just finished some turkeys for Christmas using a whiskey marinade. Birds turned out really nice tender and moist.

I was tempted to taste it before the hams went in.
Ill leave the adult diapers to the older generation

Jogeephus":3tv6hyax said:
I just finished some turkeys for Christmas using a whiskey marinade. Birds turned out really nice tender and moist.

Jogee, it's 3 more days until Christmas!!! Hope you've hidden those turkeys someplace safe, keep them from getting picked clean by Sunday!

Hook, I'd be happy to wear an adult diaper if someone would cook up something like that for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were all given out today except for the one with the charred skin. I didn't think it looked good enough but it was still good tasting. The liquor brine worked pretty good.

IMG_5881.jpg

Jogeephus":3p2eywne said:
They were all given out today except for the one with the charred skin. I didn't think it looked good enough but it was still good tasting. The liquor brine worked pretty good.

IMG_5881.jpg

Awhhhhhhhh!!! Total AWE! How do I can on THAT list? Gorgeous, Jogeephus! :clap: :clap: :clap:

hooknline":3a10e8ev said:
Trying to empty out the freezer before new stock goes in. So i Have 2 more split hams thawed out and trying a marinade of half gallon of oj, one pint cheap whiskey, garlic, 4 tbs salt, 2 tbsp pepper, one cup apple cider vinegar, one cup worcheshhire, and one cup lemon juice.
Then i found out its called a whiskey mojo marinade. I googled it to see if i was the only one craY enough to try the flavor combo.
Smoking the hams saturday. Theyll also get a rub with a honey base. Looking for a tangy sweet flavor so this should be interesting.
Only 2 more split hams and one boston left in the freezer after this

How many hams to do you do every year, Hook?

Kathie in Thorp":oplxbsz7 said:
Jogeephus":oplxbsz7 said:

IMG_5881.jpg

Awhhhhhhhh!!! Total AWE! How do I can on THAT list? Gorgeous, Jogeephus! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I want on that list too! :)

I'd do it but freight would be ridiculus. Here is the recipe if you are interested. Its pretty respectable.

Just divide everything by 15 to get approximately a gallon which is plenty for one turkey

77 ounces of non-iodized salt
15 cups of cane syrup
2 cups of molasses
10 cups of blueberry whiskey
20 TBS oriental mustard
18 Bay leaves
5 TBS red pepper flakes
20 TBS of fresh rosemary - this worked out to about 2 ounces
22 TBS Vanilla (about 8 ounces)
4 cups of chopped garlic
2.5 ounces saltpeter (I used this instead of cure 1 since I didn't want to eat up my stock of 1)

The Mix

IMG_5854.jpg

Procedure

Made a tea using 4 gallons of water and added all the ingredients into a large pot and brought it to a boil.

IMG_5856.jpg

Next, I poured tea into an olive barrel along with 11 gallons of ice water and stirred it well. Tested salinity and it was at 23.5 degrees.

Next, I rinsed the birds and injected each with filtered brine solution giving each bird approximately 10% of its body weight in brine. As it worked out, each fluid ounce of brine was just a fraction heavier than its weight so I just used ounces to ounces.

Next, dropped birds into olive barrel and used olive barrel screen and a bottle of mead to keep birds submerged well.

IMG_5861.jpg

With the brine at 23 degrees I figured I could brine the birds for 48 hours without getting them to salty. After 2 days I hung them to dry. While they were drying I attempted to come up with a rub that would contrast the brine a little yet compliment the overall bird. Wanted it to be somewhat sweet, a little fruity but with a little bite. After two train wrecks, this is what I came up with and it accomplishes the goal cause the initial taste is sweet followed by the tang of citrus then the bite of pepper. Its pretty interesting rub. I think it would go well on lamb or goat too.

Orange Fireballs
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of onion powder
1/2 cup paprika
4 tbs pepper
4 tbs mustard powder
4 tbs chili powder
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp tarragon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp citiric acid
1 tsp chipotle pepper
2 TBS orange zest

Once dusted, I stuffed each cavity with half of a 36 count orange and put them in the smoker at about 100F and slowly increased the temperature to 175F and kept it there for a few hours then upped it to 220F and pulled the birds off when their internal temp got to 165F and let it pick up the last five during the rest period.

The taste of the birds are pretty intriguing. If you get some skin in your bite you pick up the taste of the sugar then the citrus then the pepper then you pick up the faint unfamiliar yet familiarly friendly taste of the vanilla but you just can't make out exactly what it is. Sortof hard to get your head around but it seems to work well.

Well Joe, you had me excited until the blueberry whiskey .. I think you should send me some first to try ,just to be sure .. ;-)

The birds look amazing !!!! You sure go above and beyond giving fantastic, heartfelt gifts .

Merry Christmas to you and yours . May 2012 be a blessed year for you all ..

Thank you and same to you and yours. Just substitute any bourbon or any of your canadian blends would work well. Blueberry is just cheap.

Kathie i usually do 8 split hams a year from 4 pigs.
Joe, those birds look fantastic.

Jo,s the one to be impressed with. Im still learning how to cook and about basic flavors.

Jogeephus":ugj2ijq0 said:
Thank you and same to you and yours. Just substitute any bourbon or any of your canadian blends would work well. Blueberry is just cheap.

I was trying to con you into sending me a bird care package Jo .. :lol: This summer I am going to do a lot of smoking, I bet with all of the great ideas on here from everyone I could do a different meat and recipe everyday . :wave:

I pulled the hams from the marinade and put the rub on and wrapped em. Kinda ticked tight now because i usually get my hickory from the corner store in stacks. So i called em up and sent jessie over to since she was going out anyway. They loaded up a stack of red oak. Abd dont have aymore hickory. Peeved right now. Looks like Ill be doing them in orangewood whuch is ok but i prefer the hickory with pork.

Latest posts