try posting a pic

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":37w9lx15 said:
simba is a beefmaster bull not a simbra.he is out with the cows year round.since we like to calve year round.he is a well bred bull.i have 6 reg beefmaster cows that i need to pen off.an put with my cottons pride bull.im hoping to get that done this fall.when we milked cows we always ran 1 bull to 90 to 120 cows. that way the bulls wasnt off fighting when cows was in heat.

Gotcha. That is a bunch of cows to cover with one bull. But having it spread out all year long makes a difference.

Very nice bigbull...Mabey this is the horseperson coming out in me, but I like his overall facial expression..looks like he has a pretty easy going demenor.

he is as gentle as a kitten.but i do not trust him.he walks slow an lazy.an he comes up an stands by his feed pan.an beggs for feed till i feed him.but he only does that in mid summer.he has been coming up the last week an eating feed.

mine covered about 70+ cows too for several years. He seemed to enjoy it. i think i may retire him this year with only about 35 of the better cows in a smaller pasture.

spinandslide":382gldid said:
Very nice bigbull...Mabey this is the horseperson coming out in me, but I like his overall facial expression..looks like he has a pretty easy going demenor.
spinandslide-

An "overall facial expression" is not considered a very high priority for Bull selection protocols. To my knowledge, there are no EPD's for "Facial Expressions". HOWEVER - in the selection processes of sire selection, there are many "functional" traits which can be used for determination of desirability in using an individual for propogation of characteristics for one's future brood cows. Mammary structure, teat size, disposition, - even the location of hair whorls on the face ( located above an imaginary line drawn between the eyes is justification for NOT selecting the individual for the breeding herd because of the possibility of resulting bad disposition traits!). Also, multiple hair whorls on the face seem to be a negative characteristic for the same 'lack of docility' reasons.

So, when it is all said and done, whatever works for you when selecting seedstock, your knowledge AND EXPERIENCE must play a large part in your decisions. With as many EPD's as the Angus Association has come up with recently, perhaps they can justify a "SMILEY FACE" EPD - with legitimacy! :nod: :lol2: :tiphat: :roll:

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts