Trusting you guys

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Went out this morning and found one of the best heifers we saved this year. She was laying in the barn, with a new dead calf and a uterine prolapse.
When she dropped the calf it fell wrong and couldn't straighten it's neck.
This the is quite. She walked to the chute. Stood good. By some miracle I got her blocked on the first try. Her uterus was in pretty good shape all things considered. It went back in fairly easily. Gave her some interuterin boluses, dexamethasone,and tetradure. Everything seemed to fall back in place correctly. I put a loose stitch in, and plan to take it out in a few days.
I have never given a uterine prolapse cow a second chance. But after reading several posts on CT, I am going to give this her a second try.

The three hfrs that calves last week had nice little 60lb calves. This her calf this morning probably weighed 85.

Had a heifer uterine prolapse last fall. Saved the cow and calf. She is doing a good job raising the calf but still don't know if she will breed back. Vet said if she "healed right" she would breed back and not likely to prolapse again. Not a reason to cull.

Also said vaginal prolapses are inheritable and likely to happen again. A reason to cull.

Good luck.

Went out this morning and found one of the best heifers we saved this year. She was laying in the barn, with a new dead calf and a uterine prolapse.
When she dropped the calf it fell wrong and couldn't straighten it's neck.
This the is quite. She walked to the chute. Stood good. By some miracle I got her blocked on the first try. Her uterus was in pretty good shape all things considered. It went back in fairly easily. Gave her some interuterin boluses, dexamethasone,and tetradure. Everything seemed to fall back in place correctly. I put a loose stitch in, and plan to take it out in a few days.
I have never given a uterine prolapse cow a second chance. But after reading several posts on CT, I am going to give this her a second try.

The three hfrs that calves last week had nice little 60lb calves. This her calf this morning probably weighed 85.
Look forward to hearing from ya again next year!

Had one this morning too in a heifer. Lifted her back end w the tractor and put it in. Sewed her after she tried to do it again. I usually get the vet because the clinic is almost next door. I've got a bad feeling about this one though so I did it myself. She's very down and has that far off dying look about her. I bought some medicam in a moment of feeling hopeful so now that I've spent money she's free to die. If she makes the night I'll start getting hopeful again.

Let her out of the barn this morning. She went right to the gate so she could get back with her pen mates. Acts like a happy cow.
We haven't had any twins yet this year, otherwise I'd have a calf to put on her.

Even a black pinto is better than giving her a free ride. I didn't add that they all need to earn their pay. If not, they are gone.

Had one this morning too in a heifer. Lifted her back end w the tractor and put it in. Sewed her after she tried to do it again. I usually get the vet because the clinic is almost next door. I've got a bad feeling about this one though so I did it myself. She's very down and has that far off dying look about her. I bought some medicam in a moment of feeling hopeful so now that I've spent money she's free to die. If she makes the night I'll start getting hopeful again.
How is she this morning?

How is she this morning?
Dead.That bad feeling was right. I've had a couple in the past, this was different. She was worse from the moment I got on the scene. Calf is a monster(in attitude not size), can't be in the pen for a minute tries to suck everyone. Too bad I'm not close to to @SBMF 2015. I've got a calf you have a cow. First cow/heifer I've personally lost to calving issues in 10 years or so calving cows.

Last edited:
I know several members on here suggest selling if they are not making money this year. my opinion is that it cost just as much if not more to raise one more replacement heifer and she won't calf for 2 years but the one you have will calf in a year if she breeds back. can't say one way of thinking is better than the other and I have done both depending on several factors. The uterine prolapse would definitely be a factor you need to add into your decision, so hope whatever you decide to do works out well for you.

Dead.That bad feeling was right. I've had a couple in the past, this was different. She was worse from the moment I got on the scene. Calf is a monster(in attitude not size), can't be in the pen for a minute tries to suck everyone. Too bad I'm not close to to @SBMF 2015. I've got a calf you have a cow. First cow/heifer I've personally lost to calving issues in 10 years or so calving cows.
Boo.. well, you did what you could

I had a heifer abort last fall, I'm pretty sure it was from eating pine needles, same with an old cow.. I thought the heifer bred back but the bull seems to be after her today so they'll be going on the truck, Bad year for calf sales but should be a good one for hay sales!

I haven't seen a uterine prolapse in over 30 years and hope I never see another, but when I was a kid we had a couple every year in a 40 cow herd. Finally, someone made the observation that her mother had done that too. I don't remember anymore if we ever had a cow prolapse twice. The textbooks say it is a random event but my experience leads me to believe otherwise, and as noted above by Rydero, a prolapse is a medical emergency which doesn't always have a happy ending. She'll probably rebreed and have a nice looking calf that gets kept, and that's what my dad did. An ugly cow makes you money cause if she screws up, she's gone. It's always the pretty ones that get a second chance.

I wonder if Nick's 'familial correlation' to uterine prolapse might be because those cows brought big birthweight and/or small pelvic area to the equation.
What Bigfoot said...you've already fed her for 2 years...you're gonna feed her for another year and a half before she makes a payment on her keep. But...if it's a hobby, and not a business, no reason not to keep her if she breeds back.

Full disclosure...I've got a pet heifer that we pulled a big calf out of a month ago...calf died before I got it all the way out. She'll get another shot at it...but she's a pet, and the only cow I now own...a hobby...no less than the two horses standing in the pasture with her.

Latest posts