True Grit- re: The Blaze Face

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Vince, I have had a dozen calls on the Blaze Face bull. It has never been as clear to me until this listing how many people love those deep black hides with the white blaze from top to bottom.

A man called me yesterday. He ask if I had the Blaze Face bull. I said no. He said, well, you just broke my son's heart. He saw that bull today and said "Dad, I want that bull".

This man has 3 farms 600, 300 and 200 acres. BTW: KY Hills his farms are in Winchester. He runs 350 cows and has a target of reaching 800 cows. He is 64 and his son is 40.

I ask if he would like to visit because I would be happy for him to see my cows and I certainly would keep him in mind if I get another bull with the markings he likes.

They came after church yesterday. They brought their wives after stopping at the Cattleman in Mount Sterling.

They were one of the most entertaining group of people I have had here. I love positive happy people. This guy was rare. Light hearted, smiling, telling stories. He and I hit it off. It was an hour before we actually started looking at cattle.

His son was star struck by the blaze face bull. At the end of the visit, they bought my HPF Optimizer bull which is totally black and falls in the moderate zone for calving. I actually like that bull better than the blaze.

BTW: They want pictures of all my fall heifers - said he would buy everyone with a blaze face. I don't know if he was being giddy or what. But I will send him the pictures.

PS: KY Hills, he has farms near Winchester but he lives in Breathitt County, Kentucky.
swre68.jpg

My best bull to date has been a blazed faced Simmental. He was an Onward something or another. I was a dang fool for not keeping and using him up, probably the biggest mistake that I've made in the cattle business so far.
I like blazed faced cattle myself, I have over 50 of them. Using Hereford bulls to make baldies works the best for me here in the south for a few different reasons. First is the cows are more moderate in size and can scrounge. Secondly you can still get quite a few baldie calves using Angus bulls. I can see an Optimizer son in our future, he should fit our type of management. The only reason I haven't used him thus far is I don't like to breed for a terminal cross. But there's no doubt folks like to buy big cattle.
Our commercial black baldie heifers out sell our black heifers, and everything out sells the red baldies.

Bright Raven":24hseg98 said:
Vince, I have had a dozen calls on the Blaze Face bull. It has never been as clear to me until this listing how many people love those deep black hides with the white blaze from top to bottom.

A man called me yesterday. He ask if I had the Blaze Face bull. I said no. He said, well, you just broke my son's heart. He saw that bull today and said "Dad, I want that bull".

This man has 3 farms 600, 300 and 200 acres. BTW: KY Hills his farms are in Winchester. He runs 350 cows and has a target of reaching 800 cows. He is 64 and his son is 40.

I ask if he would like to visit because I would be happy for him to see my cows and I certainly would keep him in mind if I get another bull with the markings he likes.

They came after church yesterday. They brought their wives after stopping at the Cattleman in Mount Sterling.

They were one of the most entertaining group of people I have had here. I love positive happy people. This guy was rare. Light hearted, smiling, telling stories. He and I hit it off. It was an hour before we actually started looking at cattle.

His son was star struck by the blaze face bull. At the end of the visit, they bought my HPF Optimizer bull which is totally black and falls in the moderate zone for calving. I actually like that bull better than the blaze.

BTW: They want pictures of all my fall heifers - said he would buy everyone with a blaze face. I don't know if he was being giddy or what. But I will send him the pictures.

PS: KY Hills, he has farms near Winchester but he lives in Breathitt County, Kentucky.
swre68.jpg

They got a good bull I believe, and with that number of cows hopefully that could turn into a good bit of return business for you. By the description, I don't recognize the folks, lots of folks I don't know around here these days. I would surmise that with those acreages their farms are likely located in the northern, or western part of Clark County, and is likely some very good land. I'm in the eastern part where it is hills and hollers, and the ground is pretty close to rock.

Ky hills":nxbzzpfb said:
Bright Raven":nxbzzpfb said:

swre68.jpg

They got a good bull I believe, and with that number of cows hopefully that could turn into a good bit of return business for you. By the description, I don't recognize the folks, lots of folks I don't know around here these days. I would surmise that with those acreages their farms are likely located in the northern, or western part of Clark County, and is likely some very good land. I'm in the eastern part where it is hills and hollers, and the ground is pretty close to rock.

I got an invitation and I am going to honor it. I bet he is in some good land, he made a comment how pretty my hills are. His wife said it was beautiful. I told her I would trade some of that beauty if it was just a little more level. Lol

Bright Raven":odn2gyae said:
I got an invitation and I am going to honor it. I bet he is in some good land, he made a comment how pretty my hills are. His wife said it was beautiful. I told her I would trade some of that beauty if it was just a little more level. Lol

I know the feeling, I like the hills but a lot of times I wish it were more level here. I am the 7th generation farming in this area, and often have wondered why that the early settlers here of my family didn't go to the better areas. The answer that I was told was that they settled around this area because water was easier to find here.

Hindsight is 20/20, but sounds like you could have gotten a few more bucks for Blaze. Sounds like a great connection to have made!

I'll tell you, picking up the phone, or just talking to folks is half the battle. Last year I was looking around for a bull to lease. Of the four or five folks I tried, one responded. This year we were in the market for a heifer, so he's the first guy I got in touch with. Turns out, I'm in the market for a bred cow, too, and it turns out he's also getting my business. We've been over there a couple of times and he's very nice, with really good cattle. He's got a decently sized operation, but nowhere near the large end of the spectrum. The big boys wouldn't even reply, and honestly, I'll probably never have the money to spend there anyway. But, if I did, I know where I'm not going.

Interesting sign, by the way. I love that type of stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Lazy M":3pc064rp said:
The real question: has Gimli sold yet?

Nope. I have gotten 3 or 4 calls specific about Gimli. He is smaller framed but the most heavily muscled of the three. Take a look at this shot. Gimli is on the far left. He is closer and looks bigger than he is because of the angle. But by proportion, he has the most butt, gut and width.

2m5jmme.jpg

Blaze face heifers are easy to sell around here. We ourselves have had a hard time with blaze faces, but congrats to you... gotta love happy repeat customers. We offer discounts to our repeat buyers to hopefully keep them coming back.

Franke":2zzmcnto said:
Blaze face heifers are easy to sell around here. We ourselves have had a hard time with blaze faces, but congrats to you... gotta love happy repeat customers. We offer discounts to our repeat buyers to hopefully keep them coming back.

Franke: explain that a little better please. You said they sell well there but you have a hard time with them? Where are you and why do you have a hard time if they sell well there?

Sorry we have a hard time with the bulls not the heifers. Didn't proof read well enough. SE MN is where we are.

Franke":3pl2k552 said:
Sorry we have a hard time with the bulls not the heifers. Didn't proof read well enough. SE MN is where we are.

Thank you. I was not sure. I thought that might be your meaning. I think they do equally well here. Maybe the bulls actually do better based on the attention this blaze got.

Like I said that is great for you but this was one of our last bulls sold this year and I don't think he is a slouch.

Franke":27ne0gao said:
Like I said that is great for you but this was one of our last bulls sold this year and I don't think he is a slouch.

That is not what I call a blaze. Maybe I am wrong but I think of a blaze as being a white pattern of hair from the top of the face down to the nose and not any wider than the space between the eyes.

I agree, a full white head is a little harder to sell.

Bright Raven":ryjwl9z5 said:
Franke":ryjwl9z5 said:

That is not what I call a blaze. Maybe I am wrong but I think of a blaze as being a white pattern of hair from the top of the face down to the nose and not any wider than the space between the eyes.

I agree, a full white head is a little harder to sell.

I, too, would not consider that to be a blaze-faced bull.

A blaze is exactly as its named - same as blazing a trail (tree) where you take a slice off a tree to mark your way.

That other bull is brockle faced.

Full white faced & brockle faced bulls are hard to sell. That bull Franke has isn't a blaze faced

No he isn't a true blaze face but his full brother was and we didn't get him sold off the farm.

Latest posts