True Breeder vs......

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":30dmo5ku said:
novatech":30dmo5ku said:
I see a true breeder as one that uses an educated approach to improving their breed of choice whether it be purebred or crossbred. I see one that uses an uneducated, unplanned, or line bred breeding method as a multiplier. (With line breeding all one can do is multiply as the genetics are fixed.)
But! But! But! I thought inbred....mmm...sorry, line bred cattle were super cattle, and had the best genetics because they are not dirty with out side genes.....just like the Angus growing extra legs.
I've never seen the perfect cow or bull.
But the subject is breeder vs. multiplier. So breeding line bred to the same line bred is multiplying. I'm not giving an opinion as to right or wrong. I would think that would depend on the original breeding of the line and your personal opinion of that line.

novatech":d12dlbl9 said:
sim.-ang.king":d12dlbl9 said:
novatech":d12dlbl9 said:
I see a true breeder as one that uses an educated approach to improving their breed of choice whether it be purebred or crossbred. I see one that uses an uneducated, unplanned, or line bred breeding method as a multiplier. (With line breeding all one can do is multiply as the genetics are fixed.)
But! But! But! I thought inbred....mmm...sorry, line bred cattle were super cattle, and had the best genetics because they are not dirty with out side genes.....just like the Angus growing extra legs.
I've never seen the perfect cow or bull.
But the subject is breeder vs. multiplier. So breeding line bred to the same line bred is multiplying. I'm not giving an opinion as to right or wrong. I would think that would depend on the original breeding of the line and your personal opinion of that line.
Don't worry I was joking.
I know what you meant.

A TRUE BREEDER raises the kind of cattle that I like.
Everyone else is just a dam multiplier.

P.S. SimAngusKing nobody thinks of you as a crossbred hillbilly.
Inbred maybe.

Aaron":3hnfa7ox said:
Simple. True breeder is never satisfied with his results. Always looking to attain the perfect animal.
My Dad said he knew a guy bred the perfect animal but it was just a bit small :)

In my opinion a "true breeder" is someone who has a goal in mind and is headed directly in that direction. While linebreeding is not a must, most likely that is a piece of it. I would want their herd prefix on the majority of the animals in the pedigree. I look at my dad, he's really good at making matings that work, but he's working with less than 20 matings a year. That's not going to be enough to do anything to change the industry.

My question is this: If someones ideal is something that the rest of the industry thinks is junk, but they are steadfast in trying to breed, develop, raise that kind, are they still considered "true livestock breeders"?

Yes.
Momma always said, one man's junk is another man's treasure. "The industry" doesn't always know best either.

I know some multipliers. They buy proven flush cows, flush the heck out of them to the bulls of the month, and sell them all over the place. They get a lot of attention. I get bent out of shape over them once in awhile but I have to ask myself what is their goal? It isn't the same as mine. So I let it go.

Latest posts