Truck 4WD problems

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Well I finally got my big bad Macdaddy Ram stuck today. First time in the 4 years I've owned it. And like everything else I do, I done it to the best of my ability, which in this particular case, was way past good enough. Got stuck in the middle of a cow pasture of all places. It is soupy wet everywhere here. Anyway, after I got it out with the backhoe, it wouldn't come out of 4LO. Tried for 20 minutes. So I drove it about 300 yards to the well, got under it and washed all the mud out from under it, which was a lot and took better than an hour. It shifted back to 4HI with no problem and then to 2WD. Now it will shift back and forth between 2WD and 4HI but won't go in 4LO. Anyone familiar with how this actuator works or have any other suggestions as to a potential problem? It's a 2013 2500 RAM.

I have not had issues with any of mine but my son has one a few years ago that he pulled. Vacuum line loose while mudding. I suspect you still have mud in the housing that is limiting the actuator

M-5 said:
I have not had issues with any of mine but my son has one a few years ago that he pulled. Vacuum line loose while mudding. I suspect you still have mud in the housing that is limiting the actuator

I will see if I can check that out Dash. Definitely sounds probable. Thank you.

I can't remember if 2013's have an actuator on the front axle or not, but I believe those are vacuum actuated if so. My Dad has a '15 3500 which has the actuator and I installed a kit from B-D Diesel that allows him to lock out the actuator and engage 4Low using the floor shifter so he can use 2Low for backing up trailers, etc. My wife has an '09 2500 with the electric transfer case and no actuator, it's finicky about going into 4Low, also. Off the top of my head, the transmission needs to be in Neutral and it helps if the truck is drifting ever so slightly.

When I refer to actuator, it's simply a sliding disconnect on the front right axle shaft that keeps you from running around with your front end "locked" all the time. Your transfer case is controlled by an electric motor.

JMJ Farms said:
Well I finally got my big bad Macdaddy Ram stuck today. First time in the 4 years I've owned it. And like everything else I do, I done it to the best of my ability, which in this particular case, was way past good enough. Got stuck in the middle of a cow pasture of all places. It is soupy wet everywhere here. Anyway, after I got it out with the backhoe, it wouldn't come out of 4LO. Tried for 20 minutes. So I drove it about 300 yards to the well, got under it and washed all the mud out from under it, which was a lot and took better than an hour. It shifted back to 4HI with no problem and then to 2WD. Now it will shift back and forth between 2WD and 4HI but won't go in 4LO. Anyone familiar with how this actuator works or have any other suggestions as to a potential problem? It's a 2013 2500 RAM.

A RAM stuck? Say it ain't so.
I was stuck more than 4 times in the first year. It got so if I got off the pavement my wife would say for me to stop and she would get out so she wouldn't have to walk back.
I have had vacume line issues before also. Usually find it after I get stuck.

I had a similar issue on 2017.
Would not go into 4x4. Unless I turned the truck off shifted into 4x4
And then started the truck. Turned out to be a wheel speed sensor harness damaged.

Those electric shift motors have some adjustment via a disc on the back of the sensor that can help. Masrk the factory setting first, loosen screws and rotate slightly, have to experiment a bit. The sensors get confused very easily. The clutch also needs to be depressed for things to happen. Give me a stick shift transfer any day.

Ken

cfpinz said:
I can't remember if 2013's have an actuator on the front axle or not, but I believe those are vacuum actuated if so. My Dad has a '15 3500 which has the actuator and I installed a kit from B-D Diesel that allows him to lock out the actuator and engage 4Low using the floor shifter so he can use 2Low for backing up trailers, etc. My wife has an '09 2500 with the electric transfer case and no actuator, it's finicky about going into 4Low, also. Off the top of my head, the transmission needs to be in Neutral and it helps if the truck is drifting ever so slightly.

Thanks cfpinz. I've tried everything to get it out of 4LO. Washing the underside got that accomplished finally. I didn't fool with it today since it's in 2WD and working fine. Maybe I will have time to look this weekend.

kenny thomas said:
JMJ Farms said:

A RAM stuck? Say it ain't so.
I was stuck more than 4 times in the first year. It got so if I got off the pavement my wife would say for me to stop and she would get out so she wouldn't have to walk back.
I have had vacume line issues before also. Usually find it after I get stuck.

I know it Kenny. Couldn't believe it myself. But there's a first time for everything. I'm gonna crawl under it this weekend and check it out real good and see what I can find.

callmefence said:
I had a similar issue on 2017.
Would not go into 4x4. Unless I turned the truck off shifted into 4x4
And then started the truck. Turned out to be a wheel speed sensor harness damaged.

I'm thinking it's wiring or vacuum related too. That's what makes the most sense. Maybe I can find something obvious when I get under it. Right now it's going from 2HI to 4HI without issue and as a general rule that's good enough. Sometimes I need LO though. I probably pulled something loose or something like that.

wbvs58 said:
Those electric shift motors have some adjustment via a disc on the back of the sensor that can help. Masrk the factory setting first, loosen screws and rotate slightly, have to experiment a bit. The sensors get confused very easily. The clutch also needs to be depressed for things to happen. Give me a stick shift transfer any day.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I will save that for last if all else fails. I too prefer the stick in the floor. Never had a truck that the manual shifter ever caused a problem. Had several issues on electronic shifts over the years. Usually minor but problems nonetheless.

Latest posts