Trouble with 601 Ford

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
I have a 601 that was changed over to 12 volts last spring. When I got it back from the shop it ran OK but now will not develope full power and after it warms up, it dies on me. The points were changed out but I'm still having the same problem. Does anyone have an Idea what to look for to get it running again.

Fly-guy

Sounds like carb issues. Electrical is so simple that it usually either runs or it doesn't. Dying when hot can be a symptom of a bad coil, but since it has problems when cold too, I'd take the carb apart and clean it and maybe put a kit in. Check the sediment bowl for crud as well.

Most of the time they will put a resistor between coil and points to cut the voltage down to 6 volts.If the voltage is cut back to much it will have very little power or will not run.We had a I.H.we had to wire around resistor to get it started.Remove jumper wire after that it would run fine the rest of the day.

Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like I will not have time to work on it untill Monday or Tuesday of next week. The tractor was switched from a 6 volt system to 12 volts and the 6 volt coil is still on it. Should it be changed out to a 12 volt coil?

Fly-guy

Fly-guy":2pazst5f said:
The tractor was switched from a 6 volt system to 12 volts and the 6 volt coil is still on it. Should it be changed out to a 12 volt coil?

Fly-guy

I've never claimed to be a gasoline mechanic so take this for what it's worth:

Seems I remember being told that most every coil was 6 volts whether it was in a 6v or 12v system. 12v systems require a ballast resistor to step the voltage down to 6v to supply the coil during normal operation. Some vehicles would have two wires supplying voltage to the coil, one of which was hooked to the start position on your key switch and supplied 12v to the coil for a stronger starting spark and the other wire coming from the run position of your switch thru a resistor to supply 6v for your running spark. If you were running 12v to the coil at all times it's possible the coil could have burnt out.

Clear as mud?

jkwilson":wjt8au3d said:
Sounds like carb issues. Electrical is so simple that it usually either runs or it doesn't. Dying when hot can be a symptom of a bad coil, but since it has problems when cold too, I'd take the carb apart and clean it and maybe put a kit in. Check the sediment bowl for crud as well.

It looks like the strainer screen in the settlement bowl is what my problem is. The bowl didn't look too bad and neither did the screen but it seemed to run OK after I put everything back together. I plan to pick up a new screen when I go to town today. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Fg

Go to www.ytmag.com and find their 8n discussion page. The guys there REALLY know their stuff and will have you going in no time. That's a great tractor and can do a whole bunch of work.

Latest posts