Trivial Question to ya'll Southerners

Help Support CattleToday:

We've just finished our Blackberry Winter. Seems about every Saturday it gets miserable as far as wind and chilly temps.We had a couple frosts last week, but thankfully they were not too heavy.Weather folks say it's all been pretty normal, problem is how does one determine "normal" anymore?

I agree Jo, it has been rather cool this spring and It seems as though we didn't really have a winter this year either.

My ticks have really appreciated that, and I have managed to grow a bumper crop of them, hey, we all got to be good at something!

The most striking thing about our weather has been the WIND. Seems more often than not, the wind is blasting at about 25 to 30 mph. Sure dries things out fast.

And on top of that, I don't even like to be outside in winds that make it impossible to keep a hat on.

Jim62":2kj8b1hf said:
The most striking thing about our weather has been the WIND. Seems more often than not, the wind is blasting at about 25 to 30 mph. Sure dries things out fast.

And on top of that, I don't even like to be outside in winds that make it impossible to keep a hat on.

The wind has been crazy this year. Usually you might get a day or two of it but here lately it seems like every day has had a wind advisory. And yes it has seemed rather mild for this time of year. I'm not complaining though because I know those dog days of summer are just around the corner. As long as the rain continues it will be ok.

Well it finally rained here.

We have not had any appreciable rains since about this time last year.

We have had a shower or two but the drought has persisted in our area.

This morning I poured out 3.9 inches from the gauge since sunday and it was still raining lighly at the time. forecast call for showers thru today. Flooding on the roads everywhere because all the drainage ditches and such are stopped up with trash and detrius material accumulated during the year.

We did not really have a winter this year thank goodness as i don't think I could have paid the heating oil bill anyway. We limped along on the wood stove but the stove is small and the old house is big.

But no snow and no really brutal cold snaps. Like someone posted our ticks and other arthropodic livestock seemed to fare pretty well.

Average daily temperature records may prove otherwise, I haven't taken time to study them, but I think we have gotten accustomed to the warm springs of the late 1990's and early 2000's (June-July weather in February-March). Makes this spring warm up seem late while it may just be normal. If memory serves me correctly, It was last year about this time, these parts of Texas had a winter storm. But then I have also noticed that the cold weather of winter seems to be coming later. We were well into December before we had a killing frost this past year and November the year before.

Kind of wonder if the calendar is keeping correct time. :???:

weve had 2 real mild springs.the last 2yrs.an lots of good rain to get the pastures growing.but im sure itll get hot before to long.

We're way behind you Southerners weather wise up here.

Took this pic ummm yesterday.

P1010066.jpg

pdfangus":1oodl1ot said:
Well it finally rained here.

We have not had any appreciable rains since about this time last year.

We have had a shower or two but the drought has persisted in our area.

This morning I poured out 3.9 inches from the gauge since sunday and it was still raining lighly at the time. forecast call for showers thru today. Flooding on the roads everywhere because all the drainage ditches and such are stopped up with trash and detrius material accumulated during the year.

We did not really have a winter this year thank goodness as i don't think I could have paid the heating oil bill anyway. We limped along on the wood stove but the stove is small and the old house is big.

But no snow and no really brutal cold snaps. Like someone posted our ticks and other arthropodic livestock seemed to fare pretty well.

What a difference an hour makes, we got less than 1.5" total in the same timeframe. Please share.

Places East of us got 4 inches just yesterday.

But rain that heavy does not do as much good as too much of it runs off.

I was in a meeting in the albemarle county office building yesterday and it rained so hard on the roof for about fifteen minutes, that we could barely hear one anther speaking.

JO we had what I'd call a very mild winter but right now it's 11:30 and already 80 degrees and expected to get to upper 80's later today. I guess that's mild compared to July, but I ain't in no hurry to get to July yet either.

pdfangus":8z89ip2p said:
Places East of us got 4 inches just yesterday.

But rain that heavy does not do as much good as too much of it runs off.

I was in a meeting in the albemarle county office building yesterday and it rained so hard on the roof for about fifteen minutes, that we could barely hear one anther speaking.

Live about 2 miles from the Albemarle line and could see the storms going down the ridge into Crozet but it wasn't enough at our house to run you inside. Same pattern as we had last year, hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Mnmtranching, I gotta comment on the pic. That is nice. What is the temp? I thought you still had snow on ground.(yeah i rode short bus)

I think one thing that is messing with me this year is that Easter was early. I forgot this, well actually I can't keep up with Easter cause I don't understand how it is set. Anyhow, I got a few rules I plant by and one is "three weeks after easter". Well that ain't working to good this year cause its still too cold at night. I'm loving the weather and am not really looking forward to the sauna bath but I do have a few things requiring some warmer temps.

Jogeephus":7m28g22b said:
I think one thing that is messing with me this year is that Easter was early. I forgot this, well actually I can't keep up with Easter cause I don't understand how it is set.

First Sunday after the first full moon of spring.

I think we only had one night in the twenties since the beginning of the year. Seems we are getting cool fronts every Thursday or Friday lately, and have been having great weekends with highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's. We have been missing most of the rain in my neck of the woods, but other parts of the state seem to be getting their share.

Joe I was starting to worry. Do you guys really believe that pic was ummmm taken yesterday. :?:

Hardly, :shock: Our weather is warming nicely,but NO. That pic was taken early June a couple years ago. :oops:

Latest posts