Trimming hoofs, Laminitis and Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I was pleased to learn my herd hoof health (hhh) is not that bad. Vet Dr Darin Stansfield at my service!

First, on the issue of Laminitis. If I was a coon hound, I was chasing rabbits when I should have been treeing coons. He said there is no indication of the characteristics of laminitis. He did wonder at why I was not having bloat issues due to the lush pastures. I guess I will not pursue the laminitis theory.

We trimmed three cows. The first one, he said had excellent feet. He leveled the hoofs off and turned her out. The second one had good front feet but the outer claw on both back feet had structural issues. He said it was similar to screw claw. Trimming will help but he said she is probably headed to a cull before her full useful life is played out. The third cow drew his attention as I was moving her into the crowding pen. He said her issue might be in her hip. After examining her on the table, he said she is favoring her right back leg and that is causing uneven wear on her left back foot. He used the pinchers to remove a mass of hoof on the inside claw of her left back foot. He scraped out hoof tissue that was building on the inside claw because the hip is causing her to overload the outside claw. Not a cull but she will have a shorter period of performance.

I had him look at my mineral, Ultralyx 14 % Hi Mag Loose Mineral. His comments mimicked those of TexasBred who commented on my mineral in a previous thread. I plan on switching to VitaFerm Cattle Mineral which the vet endorsed as much better.
iepe0j.jpg

262kunl.jpg

27wwzur.jpg

17u5mp.jpg

2dj5v1g.jpg

Inyati, I told you that you would see (and learn) more by having them done by a professional! ;-)
Sounds like money and time well spent! :clap: Glad that you have a proper evaluation of your girls! :D

He restated: When placing loose mineral do not put out salt. Loose mineral is formulated on a determined consumption rate. The consumption of salt will serve to restrict the consumption of the loose mineral, thereby resulting in not meeting the determined consumption rate of loose mineral.

inyati13":2od97hi0 said:
He restated: When placing loose mineral do not put out salt. Loose mineral is formulated on a determined consumption rate. The consumption of salt will serve to restrict the consumption of the loose mineral, thereby resulting in not meeting the determined consumption rate of loose mineral.
Depends on the minerals. Not all of them ahve salt and they recommend having salt available. Although it goes against the grain, reading the directions is a good idea

inyati13":1me44pk5 said:
Like Dun said:

DEPENDs on the mineral. Vitaferm tells you to put out loose salt. Read the label: http://www.biozymeproducts.com/ProductD ... Code=85020

"Recommended Feeding Directions:
Feed to adult beef cattle at the rate of 4 ounces per head per day. Additional free choice salt should be provided."

Know your labels. Some mineral companies use salt as a limiter. Vitaferm does not. You are not paying a high dollar for a product you can go buy at the local feed store for a lot less. We put the vitaferm on one side and the loose salt on the other, and they have no problem eating the recommended amount of vitaferm.

Thanks, Kris. Take a look at the instructions with the mineral Darin uses. It is made by CPC Commodities and is called "Beef Maker".

Meets the nutritional requirements to qualify as a mineral that can be used for calves in the CPH 45 Program. Those requirements are: a minimum 1,400 ppm copper (no copper oxide), 26 ppm selenium, 3,000 ppm zinc, 3,000 ppm manganese and 18- 25% salt based on a 4 oz. daily intake. No other salt available.

Excellent source of phosphorus: mono- calcium phosphate is the most readily available source of phosphorus for livestock.

Sulfate source of Copper which influences: conception rate, early embryo survival, and ovulation in cows. Improved weight gains, stronger calves, improved hair coat and better overall health.

Sulfate and Oxide sources of Manganese and Zinc: helps hold down cost to make the products a good value for the producer.

Contains Salt: Salt provides for the proper function of the nervous and muscular systems. A salt deficiency causes loss of appetite and body condition loss. Cows will voluntarily consume about one (1) ounce of salt per day (Cows will consume more salt when the forage is succulent and vegetative). Salt is one of the main drivers of free choice mineral intake and can be used to maintain mineral consumption at the recommended levels. [Added by me: The cow does not know the content of what they are eating from a nutritional sense. They are seeking a Salt ionic compound. If they slack their desire for "salt" with common "salt", then they may not consume the "salt" with the other formulated chemicals. Maybe those cows know more than we give them credit for. Afterall, I have seen Blue reading chemistry books.]

Flavoring Agents: Artificial Flavors have been added to ensure mineral consumption

High levels of Vitamins:
•Vitamin A influences reproductive Tract integrity and conception rate.
•Vitamin D influences: Proper mineral assimilation and utilization particularly (phosphorus)

Latest posts