Tricks for getting things done?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I am going to have surgery on a knee in a couple of weeks. Any tricks as how to still get things done. Cows will still be out on grass unless it snows (very rare) but cows and heifers still need checked. Will likely be on crutches and a cane for a few weeks. Hard to get around in hill country. Have a six wheel UTV. Any ideas appreciated.

kenny thomas":1p4i9o42 said:
I am going to have surgery on a knee in a couple of weeks. Any tricks as how to still get things done. Cows will still be out on grass unless it snows (very rare) but cows and heifers still need checked. Will likely be on crutches and a cane for a few weeks. Hard to get around in hill country. Have a six wheel UTV. Any ideas appreciated.
get the wife to do it :lol: :lol:

are you having replacement or just laser surgery
if laser isn't to bad after 4-5 days you can get around pretty good

good luck and hope everything goes well

Laser but the Dr. seem to think that I could not push the clutch on the Dodge or the tractors. Guess we will see. Can't stay out of the cows for over two days at a time even if someone is watching them. Might have to just ride along.
Did not see the post on your wrist until just a moment ago. hope it is doing well.

kenny thomas":2tm9xcgw said:

Neighbors here still help each other it is really nice.

Hubby did pretty good when he was on crutches-- till he lost balance and dropped a trailer hitch on his broken leg. After that cleaning the house didn't look quite as bad :)

Find someone to help and let them do it - isn't worth ruining the operations lifetime success over a few days recovery.

CB-neighbors here say they will help but most of the time they never show up. I remember when it was like you said but not here now. Sad that it has happened. Guess I am just to picky in how things are done. Too old fashion I guess.

Off subject a little but since this was my post here goes. This is how things have changed here.

Many have quit cattle. From my home to the main farm I pass 9 farms and only one of them has cows on it. Fences are gone and they do not care if they rent them or not. Things are changing but not for the good. I have 5 farms that they give to me to keep them clean and the fences fixed. Own two and lease 3 for small amounts.

kenny thomas":2trc7fno said:
CB-neighbors here say they will help but most of the time they never show up. I remember when it was like you said but not here now. Sad that it has happened. Guess I am just to picky in how things are done. Too old fashion I guess.

Off subject a little but since this was my post here goes. This is how things have changed here.

Many have quit cattle. From my home to the main farm I pass 9 farms and only one of them has cows on it. Fences are gone and they do not care if they rent them or not. Things are changing but not for the good. I have 5 farms that they give to me to keep them clean and the fences fixed. Own two and lease 3 for small amounts.
Thats is the way it was where I grew up too many new people moving in there ,

around here tho if I needed something all I got to do is call

My neighbor down the road called a couple of weeks ago his wife seen my truck on the wrecker and just called to see if I needed him to come do my feeding

when our son got killed we had only been down here about 6 months and we weren't living here was in the middle of hay season and I had 2 guys call and ask if I wanted them to go finish baling for me and I really didn't know them that well , one said he didn't want to run my baler and he would even bring his tractor and baler

That is one of the reasons we live here is because of the people

put out hay before your surgy.an have everything kinda caught up.my bro had microscopic knee surgy done about 15yrs ago.an he only missed 2 milkings.an then he was back in the barn full time.

When I had the orthoscopic surgery on my knee the surgeon said that it was worse than he thought. It took about four months to heal. When the knee was replaced five years later it took three years before the pain stopped. To this date I have not regained complete mobility. Dressing will also be difficult, you better be nice to your wife. Regardless you will be a hurting unit. Better arrange for some help. Good Luck
Tom.

Latest posts