Trick Question??

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We have put a lot of arguement into this one. Finally got it figured out, but I thought it was worth posting here.

If you have a grain truck that holds 300 bushels of wheat how many bushels of oats will that same truck hold?

If I remember right, a bushel of wheat is about 60 lbs and a bushel of oats is about 30 lbs, so I'll say right around 600 bushels.

randiliana":foxgqltx said:
If you have a grain truck that holds 300 bushels of wheat how many bushels of oats will that same truck hold?

300 bushels is 300 bushels. Nothing was asked about how much weight the truck would haul. My Final answer is - 300 bushels.

A bushel is a measure of volume. That is why different grains have different lbs per bushel. A truck that holds 300 bushels of wheat will also hold 300 bushels of oats. However the same truckload of wheat will weigh much more than the same truckload of oats.

randiliana":3dy39l14 said:
We have put a lot of arguement into this one. Finally got it figured out, but I thought it was worth posting here.

A bushel is a bushel, regardless of what it is - so the truck will hold 300 bushels of oats.

the correct answer is: there is not enough information given to answer the question. the original question says nothing of the total bushelage the truck will hold, only that it holds 300 bushels of wheat. it may be half empty, full, or nearing capacity.

That is true, but if it will hold 300 bushels of wheat then it will also hold 300 bushels of oats because a bushel is a set amount - regardless of what it is referring to.

The extra weight of the wheat on the top will compress the wheat on the bottom and a slight amount more will be held.

it may depend on the make and model of the truck as to what it will "hold".

Beefy":2tmdpa22 said:
the correct answer is: there is not enough information given to answer the question. the original question says nothing of the total bushelage the truck will hold, only that it holds 300 bushels of wheat. it may be half empty, full, or nearing capacity.

Geez, you guys sure get technical :shock: ;-) .

OK, you have a truck that when filled(but not heaped) holds 300 bushels of wheat. If you empty it of wheat, and fill it (but not heap it) with oats, how many bushels will it hold?

I think I am going to have to disagree on the bushels being equal. Anyone that hauled both wheat and oats knows that you can haul far more bushels of oats then one can wheat. Most of you are arguing that a bushel is a measure of volume but that certainly isn't how the elevators see it. Bushels are calculated according to weight these days.

novaman":23ccvnut said:
I think I am going to have to disagree on the bushels being equal. Anyone that hauled both wheat and oats knows that you can haul far more bushels of oats then one can wheat. Most of you are arguing that a bushel is a measure of volume but that certainly isn't how the elevators see it. Bushels are calculated according to weight these days.

That may be true (at the elevator), but regardless of weight, Oats weighs 34 lbs and wheat 60 lbs. You can only fit 300 bushels of oats on that same truck. Regardless of the weight difference you can only fit 300 bu on that truck.

Think of it this way, 1.25 cubic = 1 bu. So if you take a box that is 1.25 cubic feet you can only fit 1 bu in it, no matter the weight the volume is the same. Whether you fill it with feathers or lead, it would still only hold 1 bushel. The weight would be different, but the volume is still the same. And a bushel is a volume measure.

So even though the truck would hold less weight when loaded with oats, it wouldn't hold more bushels.

Latest posts