Trespassers make me mad...

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a farm that has a long gravel drive a good ways in. The neighboring farmer kept claiming that the drive was on part of his land. He made the comment that years ago, people would build driveways on other's land to get to their property. We told him that was the stupidest thing we had heard of. It was getting to be a problem as he wanted to use the drive to get to his property, and it was tearing up the ground. He had a way to enter his property from the back. He did not allow anyone to drive on his land to access other properties either.
Turn about is fair play.
He wasn't going to let my farmers use part of his dirt road to access a field.
This idiot had a surveyor come out to prove that the driveway was his land. :lol2:
It was a sad day when he found out that his land was no where the drive as it runs up the side of my property.

Jogeephus":3dkkvodb said:
If they think you are crazy enough to hurt them they will trespass somewhere else. If they know you are a meek law abiding citizen they will run all over you.
You speak true.
Worrying about what they will do makes you a victim. You can't have a victim mind set.
You have to have the mind set of "what you are going to do to them".
You have to settle this in yourself before confrontation.
Many people think that to bluff or negotiate is the thing to do. Not good. May as well go pay golf with Obummer.

Chuckie":1t6mx5gp said:
I have a farm that has a long gravel drive a good ways in. The neighboring farmer kept claiming that the drive was on part of his land. He made the comment that years ago, people would build driveways on other's land to get to their property. We told him that was the stupidest thing we had heard of. It was getting to be a problem as he wanted to use the drive to get to his property, and it was tearing up the ground. He had a way to enter his property from the back. He did not allow anyone to drive on his land to access other properties either.
Turn about is fair play.
He wasn't going to let my farmers use part of his dirt road to access a field.
This idiot had a surveyor come out to prove that the driveway was his land. :lol2:
It was a sad day when he found out that his land was no where the drive as it runs up the side of my property.

I had the opposite occur, chuckie. When my neighbor and I went together and had a fencing contractor come in and put in a state of the art fence between us, I went to check it and they had built it about 6 feet over on Johnny's property. When he got home, I went and picked him up and said we had a problem. I showed him the strip of fence that was on him. I thought he would get upset. To my surprise, he said, "I can see why they did that in this stretch. It is the best place for holding the fenceline. Let's just leave it alone." I gained land and he lost land.

We've been very fortunate, many of you have seen our big red barn I've posted. Well, it's about 50ft from where a county rd and state hwy meet. Heavy traffic thru here daily. My dad keeps a lot of car parts and random junk in our barn loft and thankfully we've never had anything stolen. I will say a couple weeks ago I came home later than normal and noticed an old ratty car parked at the barn gate. I went home and got my gun and went back down there, turns out the car broke down and I walked up about the time the guys where coming to get it. They never saw me, but I saw them. I didn't approach them and let them be. I have a bad temper when it comes to me and mine so I didn't see the point in starting trouble for no reason.

The two roads I'm talking about are the only ones around our property (in the front) and all our cattle are a good mile from those roads.98% of land is pasture so if someone is trespassing I can easily see them. My family has owned this property for about 26yrs and in that time I don't know of any issues we've had thank goodness.

Isomade":3iabvcdv said:
I heard about a fella 3 years ago that was watching a fence line with binoculars when a hunter showed up. I heard the hunter stood and watched a long time then parted the wire and proceeded to crawl through. I also heard that about the time the hunters foot hit the ground on his side of the fence the guy watching from concealment shot the fence post about 3 feet to the trespassers left with a 30-06. Seems as though the would be trespasser had a change of heart and fell twice trying to get the heck out of there. So I heard...

Sounds similar to a landowner around here that had a problem with a trespasser who wouldn't stay off his property well this landowner was a gun expert and owned a .50 cal boltaction and had 1000 yard targets set up. One day the trespasser was walking across the guys property thinking he was out of rifle range wrong! he was put on the run with .50 cal rounds hitting the ground within 5 feet of him. I knew both guys so the landowner told me to tell the trespasser who was shooting at him so I did and it wasn't the trespasser who had to run out of there... it was his brother.

I don't get emotional over a trespasser who is crossing my property. I have observed signs of human traffic where someone crossed the fence on the back of my farm and walked across. I have no doubt, coonhunters trespass on my farm. Maybe even a neighbor, some of whom I don't know, walk across my farm. I have observed where the insulators are pushed down the steel posts which hold my electric fence. I do wish they would pull them back up. This kind of trespass does not in the least bother me. I know a neighbor who lets his son in law hunt on the farm next to me. I know he sometimes crosses on to my farm. If a person is civil and means no harm, I am not grouchy about them using my land. I do not put up "no trespass signs". What I don't want is vandalism, property damage, or anyone hurting my cows or dog.

inyati13":3ndlejtd said:
I don't get emotional over a trespasser who is crossing my property. I have observed signs of human traffic where someone crossed the fence on the back of my farm and walked across. I have no doubt, coonhunters trespass on my farm. Maybe even a neighbor, some of whom I don't know, walk across my farm. I have observed where the insulators are pushed down the steel posts which hold my electric fence. I do wish they would pull them back up. This kind of trespass does not in the least bother me. I know a neighbor who lets his son in law hunt on the farm next to me. I know he sometimes crosses on to my farm. If a person is civil and means no harm, I am not grouchy about them using my land. I do not put up "no trespass signs". What I don't want is vandalism, property damage, or anyone hurting my cows or dog.

The problem with that attitude one idiot break a leg on your place and he is suing you.

IMO you should have your property posted.

Caustic Burno":2soyofg6 said:
inyati13":2soyofg6 said:

The problem with that attitude one idiot break a leg on your place and he is suing you.

Valid point Ron.

Inyati, cb is right there should be zero tollerance you could loose your farm because of that

When I'm running the trapline or hunting on private property I always call the landowner and tell him What I'm going to be doing in there, that way I'm not gettin shot at

Walked most of our property lines today and found 3 stands on the line, and one on us. Two of the stands had corn spread on our side, why i don't know. So opening day when I drive up on them with my 4 wheeler and shotgun in the rack, I'll be a hole. I'll ask them all where their from and please don't shoot on our property. The 2 stands where the corn is, they will be told if I ever catch you on this property again your going to have problems. Same stuff every Labor day weekend and the weekend before general gun opens.

TennesseeTuxedo":3kr7hadd said:
Caustic Burno":3kr7hadd said:
inyati13":3kr7hadd said:

Valid point Ron.

True. I do carry liability insurance. About two years ago, a neighbor wanted to know if their son could ride his four wheeler around on my farm. I said Ok on the spur of the moment. I got to thinking after she ask me about the liability issues. TT, as you know, I got some steep terrain. I called my insurance company ( State Farm). The agent said if I was going to allow recreational use of my farm for four wheelers, they were going to increase my premium. I called the neighbor and told her NO.

We have people who put stands on the fence line. Every morning during deer season i drive my 4wheeler by them at the crack of dawn.. One time i rode my horse along the fence. My horse saw a hunter standing at a tree at the fence, i didnt see him. As we got closer, she snorted and the guy whipped around and had his shotgun pointed right at us. Scared the (&*$*# out of me. The land owner, a friend, kicked him off the lease. Thats the problem with lease hunters, sometimes they are just dumb azzes.. We try to weed out the dummies. Have 2 who have camped out this last weekend where i was shredding. I would be out for around 3 hours in the morning before i'd see them moving around. lol I think they go out there for so long so they can sleep, eat all the meat they want without their wives telling them to stop and to sleep..

Had trouble with someone driving through our planted winter wheat every week just before the last weekend. So I took a treated six foot board and drove enough nails into it to look like a procupine and hid it in the ditch about two weeks before the last weekend. Son came in and said they drove over it but bent all the nails, but it must of worked because no more driving through our crop.

cowgirl8":38apy172 said:
We have people who put stands on the fence line. Every morning during deer season i drive my 4wheeler by them at the crack of dawn.. One time i rode my horse along the fence. My horse saw a hunter standing at a tree at the fence, i didnt see him. As we got closer, she snorted and the guy whipped around and had his shotgun pointed right at us. Scared the (&*$*# out of me. The land owner, a friend, kicked him off the lease. Thats the problem with lease hunters, sometimes they are just dumb azzes.. We try to weed out the dummies. Have 2 who have camped out this last weekend where i was shredding. I would be out for around 3 hours in the morning before i'd see them moving around. lol I think they go out there for so long so they can sleep, eat all the meat they want without their wives telling them to stop and to sleep..

That is funny

Showed the pic to a couple friends to see if they could confirm who he was. Turns out he is the step son of the guy I was thinking about. Evidently he is well known to the law from what they say. One guy said he was sure it was him and his brother who stole some stuff from his place. He said to watch him close that he may be checking on something he was growing or cooking.

tom4018":1axslcvo said:
Showed the pic to a couple friends to see if they could confirm who he was. Turns out he is the step son of the guy I was thinking about. Evidently he is well known to the law from what they say. One guy said he was sure it was him and his brother who stole some stuff from his place. He said to watch him close that he may be checking on something he was growing or cooking.

I sure wish your neighbor would wise up and go in with you on the cost of a sturdy gate Tom.

TennesseeTuxedo":z6c61c31 said:
tom4018":z6c61c31 said:

I sure wish your neighbor would wise up and go in with you on the cost of a sturdy gate Tom.
Trouble is that this guy is the step son of the neighbors son, in the pic he was not on their property, he on the line between me and another neighbor. They come out of their field onto another neighbor to get to me, he has cut trees to block them and they just push them out with tractor or dozer. He had a cable across it once and they took it done. Wish he would push it more. They come across him and get on a old road that where the center of it is the property line.

I don't like trespassers and despise a thief. but reading this post reminds me of a story. There once was a watermelon farmer, who had trouble with people stealing his melons. He could not catch them, so he put up a sign in his patch. The sign read " one of these melons has been poisoned". The next morning, he goes out to his patch to see if any melons are missing. What he finds is an addition to his sign, which read, "NOW There ARE 2". This story has many morals, just pick one.

cowgirl8 said:
We have people who put stands on the fence line. Every morning during deer season i drive my 4wheeler by them at the crack of dawn..
Why would you do this?? If I had a stand on my side of the fence and you were not hunting that line you would have a problem!

Latest posts