Trespassers make me mad...

Help Support CattleToday:

If they think you are crazy enough to hurt them they will trespass somewhere else. If they know you are a meek law abiding citizen they will run all over you.

Jogeephus":19as78fg said:
If they think you are crazy enough to hurt them they will trespass somewhere else. If they know you are a meek law abiding citizen they will run all over you.

When I was a kid this old man had a nice fishing hole and people would sneak in and fish.
He shot a guy one time. He actually shot at the ground and it ricocheted and hit the guy in the leg, 22lr I think but word got out Mr. Adams would shoot you if he caught you and that stopped the trespassers

Stuff like that and urban legends are easy to create. I have a friend who is a biologist and her husband a warden, they bought a farm from an old man who used to let people fish in his bond but after his death the people thought they could continue fishing whenever they wanted to. They would try and catch them but the pond was out of the way from the house and they would just find trash and beer cans around the pond but never caught anyone. One of the older wardens in the area suggested just shooting a gun at odd times whenever they thought about it. After a few weeks of doing this the problem went away.

I had some trouble a few years back with deer hunters and like Highgrit, I took a rifle from one guy and told him to pick it up at the sheriff's office where they would be expecting him. Haven't had anymore trouble on that place. On another place we kept having trouble with people bogging and tearing down gates and tearing up the roads. One day I found a strange truck stuck on the property and then shortly after I found it a stray bullet went through the engine block. Problem went away. Actually was drug down the road along the path of the engine oil. And who doesn't believe in karma?

Forget the traps and such, thats just a good way of having major legal or civil troubles. Instead you have the cameras mounted in different areas, use them to figure out your lawbreakers habits, namely the time and day stamps. Most of us are just like animals, we like to do things at the same time. When you have this guy figured out you wait for him with your shotgun. You catch him and before the laws get there you shoot his pretty 4wheeler full of holes. Most likely that is going to solve your problems! I know it did for me.

Jogeephus":2gvp36xi said:
My husband believes that if you show them you are afraid, whether it be looking the other way or not being consistent, they will run over you. Thats why he will go face to face in the middle of the night if he has to. And guys will understand this more than a woman, but he's got that look most guys respect. He will look you in the eye and never waver, he has no bark, doesnt threaten, just gives a strong stare and a stern voice. I havent known many people like this. People around here always say he tamed the west. We had this bad group of guys who bullied everyone in the area when we moved here, so much so they did whatever they wanted to do. The people just looked the other way in hopes nothing of theirs burns down. This guy threatened to burn down our house if we didnt let him hunt whenever he wanted. I dont remember what my husband said, but our house did not burn down and he did not hunt when he wanted.
A few years ago someone ticked this same guy off and he went around out here setting things on fire. My gang went north to a fire about 3 miles away. I cut through back roads to get there and found 5 to 6 different fires set. I was right behind the guy too, some were just set. Turns out he was convicted of the arson. Im so glad i did not come up on him when he was setting them. It would have taken a while to find my body...scary

inyati13":2awu6qqg said:
JSCATTLE":2awu6qqg said:
I worked cows with a older guy a few years ago . He was in his early 70's . We were pushing cows when he saw a guy on his place . He roped the guy and drug him about half a mile to the fence , told him next time he'd kill him . After that the word got out and no one fooled with the old fellas place . He was the type that wasn't worried about jail and I'm sure he'd shoot first and worry about the rest if and when he was caught .

Still does not stop someone from laying on a ridge with a Cooper 6.5 X .284 with a bull barrel and 30 power bench rest scope and blowing his head off like it was a watermellon. No one is too tough, too big, too mean, or too stupid to deflect a well aimed projectile. There are people out there that would keep this guy on a chain in their basement as a house pet.
That works both ways . I'm not saying he was right or wrong . As long as you're crazier than them you have the upper hand . 30 years ago we didn't have these problems around here because you got the good ole boy treatment . When people handled their business . Now the law is on the criminals side. You beat someone with a chain binder for stealing it tends to change their attitude .

The best thing I ever did was to go and meet the local thieves, and one of them just happened to my neighbor. And each one of them said they don't steal. If I see one of them now, I always ask them if their staying out of trouble. A thief is a liar also. So far so good, and hopefully it stays this way. Trespassers - poachers are a different type of threat altogether. Most of them are opportunists and very hard to catch, unless they do something stupid.

cowgirl8":2i6054ua said:
My husband believes that if you show them you are afraid, whether it be looking the other way or not being consistent, they will run over you. Thats why he will go face to face in the middle of the night if he has to.

Goes back to the old saying that living in fear ain't living. Sometimes you have to stand your ground else they will run over you.

I have a neighbor who objected to my putting a fence up. Said it was his land. Surveys said different. I bent over backwards trying to accommodate him but nothing worked. He started getting heated one day and said it would be a shame if some of my cows started getting shot. I looked him dead in the eye and said that would be a mistake. Told him I didn't want to go back to prison but in a way it wasn't that bad. His jaw dropped and from that point on we have gotten along well. He has even helped me with a stray cow once or twice and I drop meat off by his place when I see him out and about. And no, never been to prison. Don't have a clue where that came from but it seemed like the right thing to say at the time.

This thread is a funny to me. :)

How do you stop a whole country from traveling through your pasture when your President is waving them through? :x

I would stay away from "booby traps". That is a proven way to get your butt in a crack.

Shooting a lot when you are on the property works great. We have done this for as long as I can remember.

Also letting people help you in watching the property. When they have skin in the game they will help keep others off.

My neighbor told me people have been killed over a foot or two of land. I told him I paid 7k for a survey so I would know where my property lines were. He was the father of one of the thieves. I'd be building fence and they'd be shooting all around me, I guess trying to scare me or something. My wife wanted to call the sheriff and I told her that's what they want you to do. Their all smoke and no fire. So I built a rifle range on my side of the fence and now they hear us shooting all the time. Sometimes my brother and Doc will bring the heavy artillery out and really let it rock and roll.

highgrit":2dgkm8ed said:
My neighbor told me people have been killed over a foot or two of land. I told him I paid 7k for a survey so I would know where my property lines were. He was the father of one of the thieves. I'd be building fence and they'd be shooting all around me, I guess trying to scare me or something. My wife wanted to call the sheriff and I told her that's what they want you to do. Their all smoke and no fire. So I built a rifle range on my side of the fence and now they hear us shooting all the time. Sometimes my brother and Doc will bring the heavy artillery out and really let it rock and roll.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That made my blood boil just seeing the picture. I can keep calm with trespassers but when there is so much disrespect that they flip off the camera it makes me wonder if anybody knows where he is or if he's all by his lonesome off out in the middle of nowhere where anything(me) could happen.
I caught a bowhunter on my place last year. He had crossed a lake by canoe and climbed a thousand feet to get onto my place. I happened to spot him from the top of the ridge looking down so I waited until he was out in the open where he couldn't hide before I moved down in the truck and met up with him. I took his sidearm(illegal in CA) and his bow and sent him on his way. He wasn't real excited about making his way back down un-armed as my cows had already told him he was trespassing and he even had the nerve to ask for a ride(my cows don't like trespassers) but I told him he should have thought of that before he climbed up there... Poachers are so much more polite when you're holding a 12guage full of .00.
I gave the name that he told me, the bow, and the sidearm to a buddy of mine that works at the sheriff's office. His response was "why would you give up a free gun?" :lol:

If ya'll don't mind me getting slightly off topic, a few years ago I was renting a place that was on both sides of the county road, and had a creek running through it. I stopped by to check cows one day and found a bunch of trash someone had thrown off the bridge. And this is only about 1/2 mile from where you can dump trash legally for $1.00 per bag. I looked through it a little bit and found some mail, with an address on it. I took the envelope to a buddy who worked for the Sheriff's department, who said he'd handle it. The next time I went back there that creek was so clean it looked like someone had swept it with a broom.

I would fill the old road with logs and tell the neighbor not to clean it out again.
If the road is on your property I would make sure he understood that in a neighborly way.

Found a climber type tree stand on the back of our property once. It was padlocked to the tree. I cut the tree down. Would have loved to seen his face when he saw his mangled tree stand.

LRTX1":35frhyey said:
Found a climber type tree stand on the back of our property once. It was padlocked to the tree. I cut the tree down. Would have loved to seen his face when he saw his mangled tree stand.

Had an idiot plow up a portion of my hay field and built a tree house in a tree in the field. Tree was always In the way so I took a track hoe and moved the stand and the tree. Had another instance on some property next to a church. Preacher was an avid deer hunter and took that forgive us our trespasses literally. I found two nice stands on the property and called the warden and asked him what I could do. He said the stands were mine and to take them. I told him, NO, one is yours the other is mine so we both took the stands down.

Jogeephus":hiztg0ou said:
cowgirl8":hiztg0ou said:
My husband believes that if you show them you are afraid, whether it be looking the other way or not being consistent, they will run over you. Thats why he will go face to face in the middle of the night if he has to.

Goes back to the old saying that living in fear ain't living. Sometimes you have to stand your ground else they will run over you.

I have a neighbor who objected to my putting a fence up. Said it was his land. Surveys said different. I bent over backwards trying to accommodate him but nothing worked. He started getting heated one day and said it would be a shame if some of my cows started getting shot. I looked him dead in the eye and said that would be a mistake. Told him I didn't want to go back to prison but in a way it wasn't that bad. His jaw dropped and from that point on we have gotten along well. He has even helped me with a stray cow once or twice and I drop meat off by his place when I see him out and about. And no, never been to prison. Don't have a clue where that came from but it seemed like the right thing to say at the time.

Have to stand your ground and make them think you are bat shyt crazy.
That is why Sam and I travel together .
Had a fellow down by the creek explained he was trespassing.
He replied he was trying to catch minnows for bait.
I ask was he going to put them in his pocket as he didn't have a minner bucket.
I explained to him he was a liar and he was fixing to steal the aluminum cable across the creek my
water gap hangs on.
I told him if he hauled off that aluminum he had to haul off the lead as well.

I like that. :D

We have a creek that goes through one property and there is a bridge with a pretty decent fishing hole off the county road. People would always fish off the bridge or walk around the hole on our property and fish. I asked my dad when I was younger why he let those people catch "our" fish. He explained that we had several good holes down the creek for the family to fish and we should let the people in the area enjoy it like we do.

As years went by the new generations started going and people who moved in to the area started going. There would be trash and all kinds of stuff around the hole. People started just walking the creek fishing. We ended up with some things getting stolen and vandalized off the property. We had to finally just cut it off.

We set up a shooting area near the bridge and made it very clear we wanted no one on the property. Im all about letting people who don't have access to the things we do experience the joys of owning property. I just can't understand these people that think they have the right to just take off and do what ever they they want on other people's property.

My friend has a policy.. Don't F*** with my property or my livestock, you can have the wife if you want her though.
He had a lot of trouble with some neighbors, one just cut his fence, pulled the posts, and was snowmobiling in his field, which is a big liability issue of course, nevermind if there isn't much snow it probably doesn't do the grass under it any good