Trespassers make me mad...

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve":elrvwa65 said:
Do like my uncle did and string some 100 pound fishing line across the trail about chest Hi problem solved

I personally do not think intentionally/accidentally decapitating someone is a very good solution to a trespasser . ;-)

hillsdown":vjpq4uxh said:
trappersteve":vjpq4uxh said:
Do like my uncle did and string some 100 pound fishing line across the trail about chest Hi problem solved

I personally do not think intentionally/accidentally decapitating someone is a very good solution to a trespasser . ;-)
You autta see What we do to poachers ;-)

Dig a 6' deep 3'x5' pit and put plywood over the hole, and cover it with a little dirt and mostly pine needles. To stop horse traffic, take a post hole digger with a 9" auger and drill holes in the trails they make around the gates. Just make sure that you have posted signs up within a 100' of your traps. You should be able to shoot trespassers, as long as your property is completely fenced and posted with your intentions. Here in Georgia trespassing is a only misdemeanor, and it should a felony. And the GFC, and Sheriff don't want trespassing made a felony, because their scared of getting shot. What part of serve and protect don't they get? Our DA and congressman think it's a good idea, but nothing is getting done anytime soon.

hillsdown":3ftljgh4 said:
trappersteve":3ftljgh4 said:

Me either, I like my freedom to much!

I fear trespassers. I'm out at some very remote places, alone. Any trespasser i come across will be armed and doing something illegal.

Difficult to deal with this nature problem. Keep your head. Many of the suggestions are interesting and I like users who think like I do but these situations escalate. The outlaw has the advantage. You hurt them and go out to get your cows one morning and find 10 of them dead. Stay within the law and even then you don't have good prospects.

BTW: the fish hook deal has been addressed by KY statute as a serious crime. Forget that!
Just looked, trapper did not include the hooks. There are cases in ky where drug dealers set booby traps with fish line and treble hooks. Ky addresssed those issues in the statute regarding bear traps and booby guns.

Tom, it is a serious crime to create a booby trap even on your own land including in your domicle that can cause serious public harm. The problem with booby traps is they do not discriminate.

We used to have a problem with trespassers during deer season. Our solution is that we have 4 guys who are welcome to hunt out property in exchange for helping with odd jobs year round. Heck, one of them is handy with plumbing and rebuilt one of my mother in law's commodes when it broke. They pretty much hang out on the farm all year and have even made a "club house" in our equipment building complete with deer heads, a refrigerator, and kitchen table with chairs and all. They have lots of food plots and game cameras out so needless to say they watch our property very closely for any unwanted activity,

Tom, if I read this correctly these ATV riders are on a road along your property line so the aren't crossing fences? Why don't you and your neighbor share the expense of gating the road off?

My husband confronts them face to face, he will go out at any time of the day or night and walk right up to them. That stopped it on the land close to our house. Some of our land is far and borders land where poachers like to go. Its hard to be everywhere. But, he gets calls from people who live on that end, they call when they see lights. Husband arms himself and heads out. One time he heard dogs and headed out to see who was trespassing. I stood out on the porch and listened. I heard his 4wheeler wind around through gates all the way back to a remote wooded area. His 4wheeler turned off, i could hear talking but not what they were saying(it was one of those nights sound traveled). I then heard shots. I panicked, tried calling the SO, couldnt get though. Ran back outside and heard a 4wheeler. Made sure it was him on it when it got back to the house. No one fired in that area, it was another hunter shooting somewhere else back there...Scared the beegeebies out of me.

Here's the problem Inyati, criminals don't follow the laws. So when the government or state makes a law it's the law abiding citizen that pays the price. I have talked to all the know thieves in our area, and guess what? We're one of the few places that haven't been broken into in the Black Bottom community. I feel like we the people need to take justice into our hands. Lots of people tell me it's not worth getting involved, but if we don't it's only going to get even worse. Criminals are no different than terrorists, they don't fear the law.

Cowgirl, your husband needs to be careful. I would never trust poachers or criminals. Driving up on someone at night is not for me. I want to have the drop on anyone I confront. I've snatched two rifles away from poachers so far and one took off running and never came back for his rifle.

I worked cows with a older guy a few years ago . He was in his early 70's . We were pushing cows when he saw a guy on his place . He roped the guy and drug him about half a mile to the fence , told him next time he'd kill him . After that the word got out and no one fooled with the old fellas place . He was the type that wasn't worried about jail and I'm sure he'd shoot first and worry about the rest if and when he was caught .

I guess we have been both fortunate and blessed not to have to many problems with trespassers. I'm no fool so I know that it happens, I just happen to have some really good bordering neighbors who are pretty ruthless when it comes to trespassers.

Also, with the size of our place, we have given the local Game Warden free reign to come and go as he pleases. He actually has keys to all of our gates and it has worked out well.

highgrit":xrukfa52 said:
Here's the problem Inyati, criminals don't follow the laws. So when the government or state makes a law it's the law abiding citizen that pays the price. I have talked to all the know thieves in our area, and guess what? We're one of the few places that haven't been broken into in the Black Bottom community. I feel like we the people need to take justice into our hands. Lots of people tell me it's not worth getting involved, but if we don't it's only going to get even worse. Criminals are no different than terrorists, they don't fear the law.

I agree with you 100%.

highgrit":35pec5k7 said:
Cowgirl, your husband needs to be careful. I would never trust poachers or criminals. Driving up on someone at night is not for me. I want to have the drop on anyone I confront. I've snatched two rifles away from poachers so far and one took off running and never came back for his rifle.

JSCATTLE":r2txt7if said:
I worked cows with a older guy a few years ago . He was in his early 70's . We were pushing cows when he saw a guy on his place . He roped the guy and drug him about half a mile to the fence , told him next time he'd kill him . After that the word got out and no one fooled with the old fellas place . He was the type that wasn't worried about jail and I'm sure he'd shoot first and worry about the rest if and when he was caught .

Still does not stop someone from laying on a ridge with a Cooper 6.5 X .284 with a bull barrel and 30 power bench rest scope and blowing his head off like it was a watermellon. No one is too tough, too big, too mean, or too stupid to deflect a well aimed projectile. There are people out there that would keep this guy on a chain in their basement as a house pet.

TN Cattle Man":19lfq18w said:
I guess we have been both fortunate and blessed not to have to many problems with trespassers. I'm no fool so I know that it happens, I just happen to have some really good bordering neighbors who are pretty ruthless when it comes to trespassers.

Also, with the size of our place, we have given the local Game Warden free reign to come and go as he pleases. He actually has keys to all of our gates and it has worked out well.

Wise policy, smart man!

I heard about a fella 3 years ago that was watching a fence line with binoculars when a hunter showed up. I heard the hunter stood and watched a long time then parted the wire and proceeded to crawl through. I also heard that about the time the hunters foot hit the ground on his side of the fence the guy watching from concealment shot the fence post about 3 feet to the trespassers left with a 30-06. Seems as though the would be trespasser had a change of heart and fell twice trying to get the heck out of there. So I heard...

TennesseeTuxedo":1zsd327e said:
We used to have a problem with trespassers during deer season. Our solution is that we have 4 guys who are welcome to hunt out property in exchange for helping with odd jobs year round. Heck, one of them is handy with plumbing and rebuilt one of my mother in law's commodes when it broke. They pretty much hang out on the farm all year and have even made a "club house" in our equipment building complete with deer heads, a refrigerator, and kitchen table with chairs and all. They have lots of food plots and game cameras out so needless to say they watch our property very closely for any unwanted activity,

Tom, if I read this correctly these ATV riders are on a road along your property line so the aren't crossing fences? Why don't you and your neighbor share the expense of gating the road off?
The road is the center of the property line. People are coming off one farm and crossing another to get to this road. They just think they can go anywhere. This one guy owns a farm on each side of me and thinks he owns a strip that connects the 2 farms. Hired a couple surveyors to try and prove it and it did not come out his way. He thinks he can push people around, going to talk to the one neighbor and see if he is willing to block the road at his line and mine.