Tree Roots at Edge of Hay Field

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I used my subsoiler to cut the roots under these oak trees at the edge of one of my Coastal hay fields.

I noticed today the grass is now greener on the field side since I cut the oak roots. Must be doing some good.

The picture shows the subsoiler slit and the greener grass to the right of the slit. Weather has been real dry

Root_Cut_2.JPG

Subsoiler, also used as a pipe plow. The front edge of the shank is a sharp vee shape to slice neatly through the soil.
Plow.JPG

Once every couple of years I run a single deep shank around the fence lines and wooded areas adjoining hay fields. I have taken back 30 feet or more for hay production. 30 ft X over a mile is a lot of hay and a heck of a lot of wasted fertilizer. By the way it takes a hundred horse tractor to pull the single shank deep enough to do any good in our clay soils. Even then I sometimes have to go over them twice.
If you stay at the drip line of the tree it is likely no harm would come to them. You a generally only cutting on one side of a tree unless it is a fence line cutting on both sides. I wouldn't do it in a drought though.

Just a note that someone may not know, but some species of trees actually release toxins from their roots that inhibit other vegetative growth. Walnut trees are an example. So not only do they compete for water, minerals, cations, space, etc. but they can poison your hay. BTW gabby, it is drier than that up here! Our grass is about gone.

Latest posts