Treatment with Resflor question?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Had a 300# heifer off to herself, breathing hard and had a fever. Treated her with Resflor and seems to be improved. Directions do not mention a repeat dosage. Would you follow up with a second dose? When? Lost one last year that acted the same way, treated with LA300 and did not seem to get over it, died getting it up to treat with something stronger.

With Resflor I have always been told that the first shot should last about 4 days and if there isnt a lot of improvement something different needs to be used.

kenny thomas":3kajybap said:
With Resflor I have always been told that the first shot should last about 4 days and if there isnt a lot of improvement something different needs to be used.
KT, would you turn them back out with the heard or leave them up for a while? Wondered if it would be less stressful as they both are pacing quite a bit.

Hope you are feeling better.

tom4018":3lj93pnl said:
Had a 300# heifer off to herself, breathing hard and had a fever. Treated her with Resflor and seems to be improved. Directions do not mention a repeat dosage. Would you follow up with a second dose? When? Lost one last year that acted the same way, treated with LA300 and did not seem to get over it, died getting it up to treat with something stronger.

Tom, I wonder if you have considered nitrate poisoning. With all this green grass and type of weather we have had, could she be consuming too much forage with high nitrate levels. You mention labored breathing and avoiding the rest of the herd which may mean she is avoiding exercise. For example, is she feeding in an area where you have put down manure or hay, etc. Look at this, if she is breathing hard, you should at least eliminate it:

Nitrates also cause dilation of blood vessels, and further lack of oxygen is caused by peripheral circulatory failure. Lack of oxygen to the tissues may be the cause of abortions, which sometimes occur following nitrate poisoning. Abortions due to nitrate should be accompanied or preceded by some evidence of nitrate problems in the adult animal, including death or bluish discoloration of unpigmented areas of the skin or mucous membranes.
The most likely signs of nitrate poisoning are difficult and painful breathing, cyanotic membranes, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, weakness, low tolerance to exercise, incoordination, diarrhea, frequent urination, dark to chocolate colored blood and collapse. Milk production may also be reduced.
Nitrate poisoning may cause death within one half hour to four hours after symptoms appear. Symptoms usually appear when methemoglobin reaches 30 to 40 percent, and death occurs when methemoglobin reaches 80 to 90 percent.

Red Bull Breeder":5pp38prh said:
Hit with another round. Did you give it in the muscle or subq?? I have been known to double dose one in the muscle and one subq.
SQ, would you turn the pair back in the herd?

Keep her penned up but put another calf in with her. She's pacing because she wants to be with the herd.

hooknline":2zsupmww said:
Keep her penned up but put another calf in with her. She's pacing because she wants to be with the herd.

Guessing if she weighs 300# she is penned with her Dam.
I usually just do one dose, and let them go for several days.
If no improvement I get back with the Vet. Good luck.

fitz

tom4018":14539vov said:
kenny thomas":14539vov said:
KT, would you turn them back out with the heard or leave them up for a while? Wondered if it would be less stressful as they both are pacing quite a bit.

Hope you are feeling better.
Unless its where I cant pen something else with them I always keep them up at least till I see improvement. I always have something there though and an extra lot so it is very rare I turn it back out the same day I give the shot.

She is penned with momma. Probably keep her there and retreat in a few days, might keep it from spreading.

Yes for sure if momma is there I would keep them up. The re-treat is something I am never sure of. I usually do unless they act almost perfect. Maybe Lucky P will give us his opinion.

Howdyjabo":20538l5t said:
Don't give shots in the muscle-- not good for the industry.
Giving in the muscle is fine as long as it's in the neck

Latest posts