Treated wood corner posts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Having new fence built. Used creosote treated posts for corners. I've seen a purple coating on the top wood post. I'm sure its for preventing water from collecting and rotting the tops. What is it called? Where do you buy it? Is there something that is better?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

There is nothing wrong with treated posts
They won't last here. About five years and they'll rot off at the ground. We use all hedge posts. One pasture had some that were put in before the 1960's. Their starting to dry rot, but will still all pull out of you are gentle with them.
Spent the last couple days cutting posts. Have several new stretches of fence to put in this summer.

They won't last here. About five years and they'll rot off at the ground. We use all hedge posts. One pasture had some that were put in before the 1960's. Their starting to dry rot, but will still all pull out of you are gentle with them.
Spent the last couple days cutting posts. Have several new stretches of fence to put in this summer.
Good thing they are in H town and not IL.😉

IMO, today's treated posts are not as good as those from years past.
Finding real creosoted posts here is hard to do too. The old creosote post plant near Conroe shut down years ago and became a toxic cleanup site and the next nearest place is up around Alba Tx.

IMO, today's treated posts are not as good as those from years past.
Finding real creosoted posts here is hard to do too. The old creosote post plant near Conroe shut down years ago and became a toxic cleanup site and the next nearest place is up around Alba Tx.

I agree that the wolmanized posts don't hold up as long as the old creosote posts, or the old penta treated ones. I was fortunate enough to find some used 6-1/2' long 4" tops creosote posts on craigslist a few years ago, so I got a pickup load of them. I used them when I was rebuilding my yard fence.

As said the purple means no trespassing but as I've come to find out from the Texas Ag Law doc, Tiffany Lashmet, any fence in Texas means no trespassing.

We put roofing tar on the tops, but before that we cut the tops at an angle.

We couldn't afford metal pipes so we put in treated posts, used RR Cross Ties, and telephone poles. But the latter 2 are getting harder and more expensive to come but and used RR Cross Ties don't last as long as I'd like. So we switched to cedar. We have totally regretted that. We have treated posts that were the ground years before cedar and most of the cedar posts have completely disintegrated below grade. And above grade doesn't look very long of this world either.

We are going back to treated posts, but like the ones that we installed 20 years ago, we will paint the part that will go in the soil with roofing tar. It is messy, but the longevity was well worth it.

In O&G we used some thing called bitumastic to coat pipelines where they would come up out of the ground. I have debated using it one fence is some of our real corrosive areas. Not sure it could be used on wood but I know you could do pipe and tposts.

Latest posts