Trapped Hogs...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
After this last rain the hogs really did a number on a place it take care of. Moved a trap out there and built another.

Set box trap Wed night, caught seven. Set trap Fri. night caught 7 more... all in hay field. Will set it again tonight.

Been feeding in a big heart shaped trap for the past week. Set it Sat. night (last night) and had 15-20 in it this morning. Have to haul them this evening. (will have pics later)

DAMAGE (pasture)
Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

DAMAGE (my hay field :x )
Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

The Culprits
Picture006.jpg

wow they do a lot of damage and that close to your place to, u would be able to shoot them with a highpower rifle from the place but they would have to be out during daylight or get a nightscope, but i bet trappign is a lot cheaper and u get mopre than one and they dont scatter like none other and run thro fences

What are you baiting the trap with? I'm having a hard time with some that just don't seem to want to go in the trap. I don't know if they are trap wise or not. Trap has worked wonders before but not in this location. Last week we had another trap tripped on another place. Trap had expanded metal as a floor. Don't know what we caught but whatever it was ate a hole through the expanded metal and dug its way out. :shock:

Diesel Corn and Hog Wild. You can smell that blueberry as soon as you get close to the trap.

In my opinion... (based on my experience... in this area... under these circumstances ;-) ) ... its not so much the bait as other details.

I always bait a trap for two days with out setting the trigger. Then when I catch I bait it again for a day or two before setting it. You will trap more hogs at a time, for a longer period of time by doing this. I always corn it from front to back, not just on the trip wire.

My trip wire are alway at the far back of the trap right at ground level so they don't see it. I will even through grass or some thing over it. (keeps them from eating right up to it)

None of my traps have bottoms, will not catch hogs. They know they are walking on metal. No foot pedals or any thing like that, no feed trough or pans in the trap... they know what that is. Try to keep it as natural as possible.

The big heart trap baited for a week before I set it. (had my camera and hit the power button... Please change battery pack :x )

What's hog wild? I put corn and corn mash around my traps. Never had much trouble catching them till I moved the trap to the swamp. Seems these pigs are trap wise or something. They root right up to the trap. Root around the trap but they just will not go in it. I might need to rig one of those maze traps to give them more room or something.

Here are two designs that I think are pretty effective. (Not my ideas, just like them, don't know who though of them)

TrapDesigns.jpg

On the heart I use 6- 20'x5' pannels with the 4"x4" squares. One 20' makes the curve, another on the straight away, and I add a 10' piece to finish out the points. Then another 10' piece to make the alley. Then repeat on the other side. Some where aroung 25 t-posts, always over lap the pannel a little.

With this one you leave about a 6" gap between the pannels on the entrance and about the same on the exit. They will push in and out ever day but make the ENTRANCE gap smaller, maybe 2" or 4". When you want to catch, Fold the EXIT together (make sure to round it out, NO CORNERS) and use 4 or 5 snap to hold the pannels together. When you catch un-do the snaps and fold the pannels into the alley and snap open. Back the trailer to the alley and go to the opposite side of the trap.

On the other trap just 3- 20'x5' pannels with the 4"x4" squares. Two 20's makes the circular part and one 20' makes the bow looking part.

You can prop the entrance open by tieing the pannel back into itself to give it a little gap to go in and out on the two ENTRANCES. Every day close it up a little closer and make the gap less and less. Then just let the pannels touch and they will push in but can't come out. Back the trailer up and pull the pannel back into itself to load them up.

Jogeephus":dd4ccih5 said:
What's hog wild? I put corn and corn mash around my traps. Never had much trouble catching them till I moved the trap to the swamp. Seems these pigs are trap wise or something. They root right up to the trap. Root around the trap but they just will not go in it. I might need to rig one of those maze traps to give them more room or something.

Its some stuff that comes in a bag. I get it at the feed store. Its like using Jello packs but it is not so powdery and smells ALOT stronger. It only takes a small handful and it will REAK of blueberrys. :D

Boy, those pictures look familiar. Been there done that. I keep two traps set at all times. I also had to stretch a bunch of hog wire on the back fence between me and the preserve behind me.

iowafarmer":2xakgmwn said:
u would be able to shoot them with a highpower rifle from the place but they would have to be out during daylight or get a nightscope,

The last thing you want to do is shoot a gun. If you ever see 60 full grown ferals hitting a fence at the same time, you'll see wood posts sheared off, T-posts bent double etc.

My traps have bottoms. I haul hogs trap and all to the pen with the tractor bucket. Then I haul them back and wiggle them back in to the ground. Perhaps dump a 5 gallon bucket of sand in the bottom.

Your pens have to have tops on them. Hogs are smart critters. Shoats will get on top of hogs and ride around "piggy back". If you don't have a top, they'll jump over 6 foot fence from that vantage point.

They will run head long into wire cattle panels and get their heads through. From there they either die, or else they wiggle enough to break the welds. To protect round bales of hay, you have to surround them with sheep panel with had 4 inch grid. Hogs cannot get their heads through the wire sheep panels. The 16 foot versions are called utility panels. Same grid.

Hogs are a pain in the rear.

Brute my record is 43 trapped in a week. 4 traps rotated across 7 baited holes.

Seven more last night,,, lucky 7,,, 6-#50 and a #200+ boar. That is 21 from the box trap since Mon. and 17 from the heart... 38 total. Will set the heart again toward the end of the week.

I have caught more hogs but I had alot more traps out in more populated areas. This is surprising from this piece of property. I am going on 6 yrs out there and have only had hog damage in the past year. To go from Zero a year ago to 38 this week has been surprising... :D

Picture015.jpg

My buddy just hit the 200 trapped mark since mid aug. once the corn was cut on the adjacent 3000 acres the traps starting filling up. Sold most and worked dogs with the rest. Its amazing how many of this %&*#@& there are.....

I'm heading down to the feed store at lunch to see if I can find any of that deer or hog jello. :D I just finished my smoker so I need a whole hog now.

Too bad you aren't closer, I have 4-#40 that would make nice pit ornaments. :D

A couple years ago when prices were good I had 10-15 traps out at a time. A buddy and I were actually making money off the deal. They had $5, 10, 20 bonuses and stuff. Now, its more like self-defense. :(

Latest posts