Training Styles

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
I was reading an article in "Western Horseman", I think, a few weeks ago and they author was a strict advocate about training only from the lead side. He said that since leading, saddling, etc. is done only from the lead side. Now I'm not one to say a person is wrong because if it works for him that's great. However, I would have to disagree with him. I train horses to accept being led on the off side, to accept having the saddle put on from the off side, and being mounted and dismounting on the off side. You never know when a circumstance may arise where you need to dismount or lead from the off side. We bought a yearling stallion this spring that absolutely wouldn't lead on the off side. So very frustrating! Horses have an underdeveloped corpus callosum, the brain tissue that connects the left and right lobes of the brain. Basically you need to show a horse an object, portion of the trail, etc. from both sides before they can become truly comfortable with it. I've had horses balk at a stretch of fence going only one direction, I turned her around and backed and she was fine. Turn her back and she got nervous again. Just had to keep going back and forth along that piece until she was ok with it. Everyone trains a little different, but for me they get worked with from both sides.

I agree 100%, a horse needs to be able to do everything equally well for either side. This not only includes saddling, but mounting as well. I train mine do do everything on both sides, although I will admit I have never thought about leading on both sides. :oops: Horses most certainly have "two brains", meaning each side of the horse is a different horse. A horse may be very willing to pick up their feet on the left side, but may be unsure or hesitant to pick them up on the right side.

Good post,
Alan

Sorry, I just thought of a good example of two brains, two horse in every horse. If you take a plastic sack and tie it to the end of a whip and shake it on the right side of the horse. Do it until the horse accepts the bag and it no longer effects them in any way. Then go to the other side and shake the bag, tell me it's not just like starting with a new horse!

we ride alot in the mountains and in heavy brush, steep terrian where we pasture our cows, and I always have to either get off or get on on the right side and in some tight spots, your horse needs to know to lead from either side or go first so I can follow him - like in thick brush looking for calves etc. If you're riding along a steep sidehill and have to get off - you have to get off on the uphill side no matter if it's the right or left of the horse - same for getting back on - I'm not very tall, I'll always put my horse downhill to get on if I can!

this is kinda off topic but it does have to do with training techniques. over the years i've heard alot about ground tying (training a horse to stay when you dropped the reins without being tied up) i was just curious about to go about doing that. has anyone done it?

Mine don't actually "ground tie" like they won't move an inch or anything like that - but when I have to get off and leave them for a minute - I just tie the lead rope to a front pastern - kind of a quickie hobble- they couldn't run like that but they can mosey around and eat some grass, I guess they could walk off? but not too fast. I believe in hobble breaking all my colts, so I think because they are used to being hobbled - if I just tie the lead to a front leg - they just associate that with the hobbles. If I'm going to have to leave them for more than a few minutes I go ahead and slip the hobbles on or find a tree and tie them. I don't really trust them to stand for very long - and I'm always a long way from the trailer and don't like to walk!

I train both sides of the horse. I also train them to stop when I get off from both sides. I do this because I never which side I am going to fall off of. :lol:

Ain't it the troot! My horses don't care which side you get on or off from, or which side you saddle from. Don't think they were specially trained for that. I prefer to saddle from the right side, get on from the left, and get off on the right. They don't seem to have any preference.

My husband used to steer wrestle and when our son was in high school he brought his girlfriend out to ride and put her on one of hubbys old steer wrestling horses - figuring he was one of the best broke of the bunch (which he was) the only problem was, I guess at some point they decided they'd lope a bit and she got a little off balance - kinda leaning off to the right, ya know? - Anyhow, old Spunky just put his nose out and took off for all he was worth! Guess he didn't notice there wasnt' a steer there for her to bale off onto! Needless to say, she piled up! that relationship didn't last and it took almost an hour to catch the horse! Yep- training is everything!

sjr725":3tmn2f92 said:
My husband used to steer wrestle and when our son was in high school he brought his girlfriend out to ride and put her on one of hubbys old steer wrestling horses - figuring he was one of the best broke of the bunch (which he was) the only problem was, I guess at some point they decided they'd lope a bit and she got a little off balance - kinda leaning off to the right, ya know? - Anyhow, old Spunky just put his nose out and took off for all he was worth! Guess he didn't notice there wasnt' a steer there for her to bale off onto! Needless to say, she piled up! that relationship didn't last and it took almost an hour to catch the horse! Yep- training is everything!
i feel sorry for the girl and who ever had to catch the horse, but you have to admit, that is kinda humorous! :D

Latest posts