30 days of training...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":1vwrji6e said:
Sorrel colt found a good home. Got two more to sell and then all the rest that I'm riding belong to other people.

Bay colt at 40 rides... still a lotta horse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUAv6sDLwnQ

Dun colt at 30 rides... this one's a 3 y/o, had been tied to a post but other than that unhandled and a stud when I acquired him. This colt won't win any beauty contests but he's a really, really nice ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-HNPG49Ps

i really like that dunn colt.
looks like he has more than 30 rides on him, you must have put some miles on him.
you always start colts in a snaffle?
do you ever use a hackamore ?

Don't own a hackamore but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Dun colt - not really. I frequently just spend 20-30 minutes on him and call it good. If we trail ride I'll spend a couple hours on him, but I don't ride him hard. He was kept in a 30x30 pen for a year and a half before I got him and underfed, didn't have much condition or muscle tone so I've been riding him light and giving him good feed. Some weeks I only ride him 3 times. He's just got a good attitude that hasn't changed at all as he's put on weight and gotten in shape.

Here's the dun with a slicker... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avZ_rBzZ7ds

I saw the two horses you had on Youtube back a couple weeks ago. The first colt went alot better because it looked like you left it alone in front more. The second one looks like there is gonna be a little too much resistance there in the bridle and I would get up off the back a little more so you don't create any more resistances. Figured you wanted some input since you asked us earlier so I am just adding some help.

hayray- it depends on the day with that bay colt. The video I had on there a couple weeks ago he rode quiet from the start. The last video he's a little hotter; some days he's quiet, some days I'd like a "restart game" button. I am asking a little more of him now and he doesn't always like being told what to do. He's got quite a ways to go yet. Dun colt is really light, I like my reins short (remnants of English days) but I don't use too much contact on the bit, not seeing or feeling the resistance you're talking about. I like my seat on the saddle unless I'm jumping fences, what exactly are you suggesting?

hrstrader- if you're serious, check your inbox.

my advise.
keep doing what your doing. your doing just fine.
if you were closer i'd sure be interested in buying a horse that you've started.
really enjoy the video's, especially the ones to chris ledoux's music.
keep up the good work

cross_7":26387jm3 said:
my advise.
keep doing what your doing. your doing just fine.
if you were closer i'd sure be interested in buying a horse that you've started.
really enjoy the video's, especially the ones to chris ledoux's music.
keep up the good work

DUH!!!
advice

Thanks cross. :) I drift enough... maybe one of these days I'll end up in Texas for a few months.

Back in school, sold the dun gelding, still have the bay... he rides nice but he's a lot harder to find a home for due to temperament/not being registered/chrome but no color/etc. Still trying to sell the bay (local trainer friend will show him off for me) but may end up keeping him 'til next summer. Or I might send him up north to a friend on a ranch; hate having a nice colt that's not getting used.

Definitely easier to train for other people than buy/train/resell. lol.

sounds like you've been busy.
the bay looks like he's going to make a good horse, wish he was closer and i'd give him a try.
good luck and let us know when your "back in the saddle"

milkmaid":3u3fyrh4 said:
Back in school, sold the dun gelding, still have the bay... he rides nice but he's a lot harder to find a home for due to temperament/not being registered/chrome but no color/etc. Still trying to sell the bay (local trainer friend will show him off for me) but may end up keeping him 'til next summer. Or I might send him up north to a friend on a ranch; hate having a nice colt that's not getting used.

Definitely easier to train for other people than buy/train/resell. lol.

with the horse market the way it is i can buy well bred colt's worth the money.
good using horses around here are still worth quite a bit, especially good ranch horses that can be roped off of.
i was thinking about buying a couple to start and use them this winter on steers then sell them after i get a good handle on them.
the problem i have is the 6666, toungue river, pitchfork, triangle and etc. are right here in my backyard(or i'm in theirs) so i'm not sure "my horses" are worth as much without a big ranch brand on it's hip.
they have big sales from time to time(http://6666ranch.com/quarter-horses/sales/rtrsale.html) and they do very well. i'm not sure i sell them for what their worth without a big production sale.

Latest posts