Keep training or sell?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms":183s6wyw said:
HOSS":183s6wyw said:
I am working on a deal with him now involving a trade on a very broke and well trained horse for my wife in exchange.

O.k. Hoss, It's killing me! What kind of horse did you get for trading your wife in?
Does the trainer have more horses to trade because I have a wife :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a pretty good plan. I'd be tickled to get a well-broke and trained horse for my wife. Might even be willing to pay a little "to boot" money. :cowboy:

cypressfarms":3fj7areq said:
HOSS":3fj7areq said:
I am working on a deal with him now involving a trade on a very broke and well trained horse for my wife in exchange.

O.k. Hoss, It's killing me! What kind of horse did you get for trading your wife in?

LOL....Well cypress I definetley wasn't going to trade in an old nag for another. No sir! I traded her in for a fast model that is half her age and really gets her legs up under her when she gaits :lol: :lol: :lol2: :cowboy:

HOSS":2zjih78q said:
cypressfarms":2zjih78q said:
HOSS":2zjih78q said:

LOL....Well cypress I definetley wasn't going to trade in an old nag for another. No sir! I traded her in for a fast model that is half her age and really gets her legs up under her when she gaits :lol: :lol: :lol2: :cowboy:

Well folks I guess we will not be seeing ole Hoss for a while if his wife see this post. Good luck Hoss ole buddy I hope you heal well.

3waycross":3an3x6l2 said:
Well folks I guess we will not be seeing ole Hoss for a while if his wife see this post. Good luck Hoss ole buddy I hope you heal well.

Nor any of us others if our wives saw this. I'm lucky, my wife hates cows,and rarely even goes into the pastures. She does like the checks though. She only sees what I post on facebook, so I'm politically correct there. :nod:

3way, how did the fall trout season go in Colorado? My brother did well. He just returned in the last weeks on some great pheasant hunts in Kansas.

Well wish me luck. I am going up to look at the trade horse. It is a registered TWH mare directly out of Silver Design TWHBEA Reg# 898148 (3 time world grand champion) for those TWH people interested in such things. If my wife likes her I will close the deal tonight. I'll keep everyone posted.

Well the deed is done. The trade will take place on Saturday. My wife and I went up and rode the horse last night. She is very well trained and taught the extras. She can be rode with just leg pressure alone. With just leg pressure she will turn left / right, spin, step sideways etc. Very light mouthed and just slight backward pressure on the reins and she will back up. She stretches out for mounting and will stand ground tied. Sit forward in the saddle and squeeze her a little with your legs cues her to move forward. Sit back in the saddle and put slight pressure down in the stirrups and she will stop. No reins needed as brakes. She is a smooth gaiter but she has a short stride and is not a real fast mover but that is ok for what we are wanting. This guy is going to spend a full day with my wife and I on Saturday teaching us his method of handling her since she was trained under his 5 point system (TV trainer with a DVD / book). She is not perfect in conformation like the filly that I am trading him but she is not bad at all to my half-trained eye. I am going to board her for a month at an equistrian barn down the road where my wife will have access to the indoor / outdoor arena for practice and bonding time. After that she will be broght down to my place for acclimation and introduction to my horses and cows.

Pretty is as pretty does..
You can keep those lovely to look at,devil to ride ones..

Suzie Q":1gke3212 said:
She sounds wonderful. We don't really have TH and gaiters here.

Your plan sounds like a good one. You wife is lucky to have a hubby that understands.

Well I would like to take credit for being an understanding hubby I have to admit it was mostly my idea to get her a horse and not hers. I ride alone or with friends but she has not really participated with horses or with anything farm related. She is a city girl. When I brought the idea up she was more receptive to it this time. I wanted something that we could do together and both enjoy (I don't like shopping etc.). I wanted her to have a positive experience with horses unlike myself who had not had many good experiences growing up. I bought my horses to get over my nervousness of them. As a kid just about every horse I got on either threw me off, kicked or bit me. I had one blow full speed into the barn. The top of the door way was about a foot higher than the saddle horn. You can guess what happened to me......cleaned me off of the back of it like you see on cartoons. Thinking back I realized that I never got to mess with a well trained horse. We would go with our friends and pull ol charley or Buck off of the back 40 and throw a saddle on him and mount up. We didn't even think about how he had not been rode in 2 years etc. Later I could never understand why I got so nervous on them. I have jumped out of planes in combat zones, served in combat in two wars, messed with ticked off 2,000 pound bulls, chased monster wild boar and bears with a bow and arrow and came face to face with Jogeephus's killer Brangus cow and have not been as nervous as I have on a horse. So a few years ago I went shopping around for a well trained horse and wound up buying a bred TWH mare. She is a big baby but her baby is the SHEDEVIL horse. Not mean so much but hotter than a 2 dollar pistol. This spring we plan to do some trail rides together as a husband and wife team. I am looking forward to the quality time.

I am lucky that my family trained and rode horses, so I was never alone with horses and learned from them. Then my father died and I didn't have horses until I bought my own horse at 15 years old. Which meant a beginner again and back then everything was in age groups so I was supposed to be able to jump 3ft, etc, which the horse I bought couldn't canter a circle or jump a log.

I had lessons though and worked with him and we went through ponyclub together, going from coming last in everything, to coming 5th in everything, to 3rd in everything and the last year we competed we virtually won every event we entered.

Suay backed, long necked, too upright shoulder, herring gutted, but we never told him that and the thought he was the best horse out there!!! He died at the beginning of last year at 31 years old. He had been teaching my OH to ride, but not ridden for the last couple of years.

I am much older now and like you fairly nervous of horses. I have bought a quiet plodder, but haven't been near him with the weather, so can only hope he is still a quiet plodder when I get near him again.

I wish I had been introduced to horses when I was a kid. Got my first horse when I was 61, took a few riding lessons (including horse care) and away I went. Was lucky with my horse selection. He was 17 and very settled and calm (and lazy), but over 17 hands big--way too tall for and old fart. Got a 9 year old now, 15 hands, and doing well. Only thing he has trouble with is spooking a little at something. Don't know what, never have seen it. I think it may be imaginary.

Had never heard of the "plodder" breed, but that sounds like my kind of horse. :cowboy: :tiphat:

LOL Jim 62. He is actually a Thoroughbred and a rescue. Owned by 2 girls who rode him with whips and spurs and then when they got a new horse they seemed to forget to feed him.

Hoss, that is so nice you and your wife will get to spend time together doing this. Horses are a pain in the rear sometimes..they eat to much and poop to much..but ya gotta love them..some of my best memories were on the backs of my horses..its a family affair with our family as well.

Jim62":1ostdmjn said:
I wish I had been introduced to horses when I was a kid. Got my first horse when I was 61, took a few riding lessons (including horse care) and away I went. Was lucky with my horse selection. He was 17 and very settled and calm (and lazy), but over 17 hands big--way too tall for and old fart. Got a 9 year old now, 15 hands, and doing well. Only thing he has trouble with is spooking a little at something. Don't know what, never have seen it. I think it may be imaginary.

Had never heard of the "plodder" breed, but that sounds like my kind of horse. :cowboy: :tiphat:

It's definitely a Horseasaurus! A great, horned, fire-breathing, terrifying creature that only a horse can see, and that can pop up out of the barest of cover. A horseasaurus is guaranteed to set even the calmest of horses to acting like idiots depending on the weather and what they have been fed in the way of grain. LOL Truly a mind-boggling, horrifying sort of a creature - at least to a horses way of thinking! ;-)

msscamp":3e7sseft said:
Jim62":3e7sseft said:

It's definitely a Horseasaurus! A great, horned, fire-breathing, terrifying creature that only a horse can see, and that can pop up out of the barest of cover. A horseasaurus is guaranteed to set even the calmest of horses to acting like idiots depending on the weather and what they have been fed in the way of grain. LOL Truly a mind-boggling, horrifying sort of a creature - at least to a horses way of thinking! ;-)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
My paint used to see the Horseasaurus, and spook at nothing. He's 10 now and calmed down a lot, thank God. I never liked when your trotting along in a dead even pasture and all of a sudden he would hop to the right or left, apparrently scared by the Horseasaurus!

My Grandad used to break and train but he died when I was young so I never learnt to ride. I've been on a horse a few times. I've recently accumulated a standardbred to try and teach myself. He's an ex pacer but he's quiet and broke. They've had a 14 year old girl on him. Not to fast, not too slow,just obedient. Bit of time on him and maybe I'll buy something like a stock horse or quiet quarter horse so I can actually do something with him. A good and knowledgeable friend of mine advised me not to try any campdraft/rodeo disciplines on the standy though because he said he found that their pace often puts their legs in a vulnerable position, and that when they used them on the stations they would often lose horses from a steer running into their legs etc.

cypressfarms":1lco0w3c said:
msscamp":1lco0w3c said:
Jim62":1lco0w3c said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
My paint used to see the Horseasaurus, and spook at nothing. He's 10 now and calmed down a lot, thank God. I never liked when your trotting along in a dead even pasture and all of a sudden he would hop to the right or left, apparrently scared by the Horseasaurus!

I could handle the hop to the right or left - it was that leaping out from under the saddle that tended to upset my equilibrium and leave me riding in a way that God nor nature ever intended! LOL Thank God for the invention of the saddle horn!

Latest posts