30 days of training...

Help Support CattleToday:

2thumbs.gif
you're doing a nice job with them. :D

Both really nice horses -- I like bay horses,so that's my favorite..
btw - what is the music you used in the vidios??

Peg- it's part of the soundtrack off American Outlaws. I assume it's a movie too? never saw it but someone gifted me with the music. :p

hayray - it's the local fairgrounds arena. Not mine unfortunately, but there's sure room for a lot of circles in there.

Karen - there's just the difference between English and Western riding. I rode English/dressage a lot of years and I'd rather ride a horse collected and with contact on the bit. I'll ride on a long rein if I'm trailing cows or trail riding, but circles in the arena is another matter. Drives me nuts to ride that bay colt on a longer rein. The sorrel will ride on a looser rein, but he's a better ride, better handle, everything - when I've got my reins shortened and I'm making him work. And actually - if you were to ask who is the quieter ride - it's the sorrel, hands down. I can get most horses to ride quiet for me, but what they feel like is another story. Bay colt's pretty hot; he's not broncy and he'll ride alright but you know you're sitting on a lot of horse. You have to work to get him to ride relaxed.

Got the bay colt opening and closing gates now, turns on his haunches, sidepasses, etc; he's doing pretty good. I'll probably be selling both in 2 weeks; I'll get the sale videos posted on here so y'all can see how they handle then.

Videos aren't the same as riding- thats for sure.
BTW-I have a Dressage background,ever hear of Gunnnar Osteguard and Ellen Dixon?

Where do such good horses sell, and what would you ask for them? Headed to Montana on monday. Thanks and both are nice horses.

Howdyjabo":203viua8 said:
Videos aren't the same as riding- thats for sure.
BTW-I have a Dressage background,ever hear of Gunnnar Osteguard and Ellen Dixon?
I haven't heard those names in years but I remember that Gunnar was Ellen's trainer. One of her first Grand Prix horses came from the farm I operate out of now, matter of fact I am looking at a picture on the kitchen wall of her and Chuck at Bit-O-Shines retierment ceremony at Devon, I think around 1980.

I worked for Ellen
Bit-o=shine was in the retirement barn-.
Got me to thinking what shes up tp now- I haven;t seen or heard of her in 30 years.
She was a real class act. I admired her unlike most of the others that were around.

about 15 or 20 years ago she was president of the USDF. I kept up on that back when I was showing and training full time. I haven't shown in about 10 years now so I don't keep up on that. I hardly do any training anymore except for some old clients. Horses are getting more dangerous and riders are worse then ever. Got fed up with the whole industry and now do cattle and hay full time.

I got out before they started with clicker training-- Thank God
there was a lady getting going around the time I quit that I thought was real talented.
Several years ago I saw something on TV and recognized her- and she was clicker training dressage "tricks".What an incredible sell out :(

Jeanne - yes, I've been accepted to vet school and will be starting at WSU this fall. :)

Here's the sorrel colt tonight, rounding up the other colts because it's so much easier than catching and leading everyone in... :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO0HoMk5nfY

And here he's going English, took a lesson with a former instructor and he's as close to an English horse as I have at the moment (everything else is far too green).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUZLI1g6lnE

Mom's been taking them for me, I edit them and then upload them. Most of my videos go to Facebook but I'm not putting a FB link on a public site :p... so I put the ones I want to show to people other than FB friends on YouTube.

Sorrel colt found a good home. Got two more to sell and then all the rest that I'm riding belong to other people.

Bay colt at 40 rides... still a lotta horse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUAv6sDLwnQ

Dun colt at 30 rides... this one's a 3 y/o, had been tied to a post but other than that unhandled and a stud when I acquired him. This colt won't win any beauty contests but he's a really, really nice ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-HNPG49Ps

Latest posts