Tie down roping training

Help Support CattleToday:

DakotaCowboy

Reaction score
Hi, im looking for a video on how to train a horse for tie down roping. Step by step video would be nice. I have a 10 yr old gelding that I use about every week working cattle. I've trained him so I can rope off of him and drag the roping dummy around so far. I'm trying to train him for this so I can ear tag calves out in the pasture. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks

DakotaCowboy":7ja6iblh said:
Hi, im looking for a video on how to train a horse for tie down roping. Step by step video would be nice. I have a 10 yr old gelding that I use about every week working cattle. I've trained him so I can rope off of him and drag the roping dummy around so far. I'm trying to train him for this so I can ear tag calves out in the pasture. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks

I can't help ya there much cowboy. Have you done a Google search? I was never much of a roper so I used to just bulldog them (those days are long gone now). My horse would stay right beside me and the calf. Shirt pocket full of tags, and the punch in the other. I only needed one arm to bulldog a calf. Then of course we don't have a rocks in our ground here.

Pulling a dummy is not anything close to pulling cattle.Get a log and teach the horse to pull weight.Start with a light one and work up in weight.If the horse has any size at all he should be abler to pull a good deal of weight.
You need to not only be able to swing a rope on him but be able to throw it past his head with out him ducking out or getting scared and be able to coil it up dragging back to you a horse will if he hasnt seen a rope on the ground and it coming at him some times they will get scared and run from it.You need to be able to get it all around him and on him and he doesnt get scared and try to get away.
Another thing is he needs to know how to catch cattle how to track one and get him where he will stay behind them and give you a throw.Some times in the pasture you need to track one a ways untill you have a good place to rope them.
Some times I have followed one untill I got him in a place that was safe eneough and where you could get a trailer to them and a horse has to let you do that.
You need to get a calf in a pen and track him with a break away and do that for a while untill the horse will run up to cattle and let you rope and handle your slack.Then use a knot rope.That is a rope fixed up the loop wont get tight but the horse will get a jerk and then it will come off the calf.The horse will learn to handle weight on the end of the rope.
With all that and logging him teaching him to pull weight you can get along pretty well.And dont go by your self for a while.
Have some one with you to do the tagging and you just get the cattle cought.
Trippin and tieing one down takes a well trained and quite horse.And not one that hasnt done it before.You can do that but it takes a good while to get the horse ready and lots of roping time.
But if you get yours where you can catch and handle cattle and take a jerk and not get scared pull weight then you can get along with some help.
If a horse has not had cattle jerked on them they dont know what to do and some will sure nuff panic and try to get away.
Good luck and dont go by yourself.

Latest posts