Training Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":2mnxdxcb said:
I may be wrong because I don't use a martingale, but I believe a martingale has leather strips that connect directly to the headset from the chest area. the riens then go through rings in those strips, while you can pull the head down through the rings, the head can go up as far a the strips allows. You have an absolute stop point. Draw riens just have rings at the end of short strips from the chest area, not attached to the head set. Allowing the head the freedom to come up, while still being able to draw the head down.

Alan

Alan - Sounds like like you have TWO thing mixed up - a tie-Down and a Martingale

I believe a martingale has leather strips that connect directly to the headset from the chest area.

That's a Tie Down! (can go by several names) TD's are a Quick Cowboy way to break a horse. (A good Western Horseman will not use one) - Other fourms are uses in Harness or English Horses and are OK!

Draw riens just have rings at the end of short strips from the chest area, not attached to the head set. Allowing the head the freedom to come up, while still being able to draw the head down.

There are many ways to set up Draw Reins - With a Martingale the leather comes up from the "chinch" some where and is ofter supported at the Chest Area by a leather around the neck.

A horse on any kind of Martingale/Draw Reins may go Left or Right but it would be very hard for it to go over Backwards wth it's head pulled down to it chest.

On the other hand - break a tie down and your in for troubles
I've seen many a Broken Nose and horses that won't stop or go over backwards :cboy:

No Disrespect! - We're all here tto Learn! I Hope! :dunce:

well i know plenty of great horseman that use tie-downs on rope horses in competition on a martingale is connected to the cinch and the reins run through it if i was pasture ropin i would not use a tie down its a completley different situation but you are right when you are working with a head set you better watch out cause a horse will panic when they feel confined :hat:

Just a word on tie downs..

Be darn careful if you use them when crossing rivers, bogs, etc.

I know a foolish man who drownt a heck of a good horse crossing a river because he failed to undo his tie down. He was luckier than the horse and survived, but crying shame about the poor horse.

Take care.

alacattleman":kxn4yh8n said:
well i know plenty of great horseman that use tie-downs on rope horses in competition on a martingale is connected to the cinch and the reins run through it if i was pasture ropin i would not use a tie down its a completley different situation but you are right when you are working with a head set you better watch out cause a horse will panic when they feel confined :hat:

Great Cowboys do not always = Great Horsemen :mad:
Beleave me - I've known, Lived, and Run with Both

Old Dog/New Tricks":33ywku4o said:
alacattleman":33ywku4o said:

Great Cowboys do not always = Great Horsemen :mad:
Beleave me - I've known, Lived, and Run with Both
i agree to a point its a differance in an athelete and a horseman some rodeo cowboy's are just atheletes. but it take a horseman to know the differance

Latest posts