Question for Chippie---regarding Suspensory injury

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Chippie,

Have you ever gone through the recovery process with a horse that has suspensory ligament injury, or know of someone who has?

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on so that I could understand what it is and what is happening to my horse's hind legs. I have read a few success stories and I've read some stories not so successful.

My horse was just recently DX with Suspensory injury on the 29th of September, and will now be standing in a stall with only daily hand walking for 12 minutes at time. Walk will increase depending on if his vet sees some progress….Stall rest could be as long as 9 months. I wrap his hind legs each day, 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Of course, his legs look great after the boots come off at night, but the next morning they are puffy again. The Left is worse than the right.

I was told that PRP therapy will accelerate the healing process, but, that stall time would still be about the same.
My horse is a Percheron/Thoroughbred cross, and only 7 years old. I do not race him and I have not jumped with him. For a big guy, he is about the most comfortable riding horse and has a nice smooth lope.

I'm okay with stall rest, but what I really like to get is some input from someone who has actually gone through this. If they went with the conservative hand walking and/or did PRP therapy, and did PRP take care of the issue.

Thank you,
Nancy

I would be sceptical about suspensory ligament trouble being present in the hind leg and you had the plural, legs. Certainly much more common in the front legs, much more stress and usually only one leg.
Ken

Hi Ken,

I skeptical too so I went for a second opinion. I took my horse to a different vets...both vets say Suspensory. I was not too happy to hear it either since I only purchased this horse last summer.

Plural is correct.
My vet is telling me there is about 58% break down in the left hind fetlock and about 76% in the right. Front legs are sound.

thank you

Did the vets rule out DSLD (Degenerative suspensory ligament desmitis)?
It can affect animals of any age. Our 2 year old gelding developed it several months ago. His right fetlock swelled first, then one morning the other one was blown up. He was a real mess. His lameness was not consistent. He was half Thoroughbred. A friend had a warmblood mare develop it also.

Here is are some links about it:

http://dsldequine.info/

http://www.equisearch.com/uncategorized/dslds-devastation/

We have owned Percherons in the past. They are a great breed. Very honest horses.

Chippie,

In looking through all my notes from the vet I do not see any mention of DSLD nor do I see it on services and treatment sheets from my vet.
His first vet visit I was there for at least 3 hours....There was quite a bit of talk about, suspensory injuries, other horses with suspensory injuries, bones, PRP, shockwave, joint injections, treatments, and my horse. I do not remember if DSLD was mentioned. That first visit I think I got way more information than I needed. :?

I bought this horse last July, and I did some trail riding with him, no hard riding. I figured out he really didn't know much and was spoiled. I worked with him to get him going, but I learned real quick that I needed help. I found a trainer early this summer and started working with the trainer. The trainer was great with my horse because after my horse had some work under saddle I couldn't have been happier with him. I couldn't agree with you more about the breed....He stands 17.2 hands tall and is as good as gold....After the training, that is. ;-)
After I brought him home from the trainer's I was riding him each day for 45 minutes to an hour or so, and it was about then when I noticed his left hind fetlock looked swollen and decided it I should take him to a vet. He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all and has no trouble moving about.

I keep a journal but there isn't any change except when the support boots come off.
He is due for a re-check in a week or so, I will question the vet about DSLD then.

I read your posts and felt you would have some good input....I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post and attaching the articles.

thank you.

It doesn't sound like a suspensory injury. :( He should be obviously lame if that is the problem.

DSLD will appear without warning. The problem gets progressively worse. The horse's legs just go to crap. It may not appear lame. The key words you mentioned are "break down".

Do you have a good equine vet?

chippie":arahy3w2 said:
It doesn't sound like a suspensory injury. :( He should be obviously lame if that is the problem.

DSLD will appear without warning. The problem gets progressively worse. The horse's legs just go to crap. It may not appear lame. The key words you mentioned are "break down".

Do you have a good equine vet?

I do have the name of a good equine vet....I actually placed a call to this vet regarding DSLD and I'm waiting for a return call. I believe this vet spends quite a bit of time at the track tending to race horses. My horse's last visit was with an associate of a very good equine vet.

Break down is the 2 words the vet used, but I can't actually tell if my horse's ankles look like they are 'falling' ...mostly swollen.

The only time I have seen my horse limp or favor that left hind leg was when the vet hiked up his back leg and held his foot in what looked like an uncomfortable position for several minutes then put the leg down and asked the assistant to trot my horse. It took my horse a minute or so to get going, but eventually he did.
This is after he came out of the trailer and bumped the top of his left foot on the trailer. He did have shipping boots on but when I took them off I could clearly see where he hit the trailer.

He wasn't rode much at all...for the most part I think the folks I got him from lounged him to keep him exercised. They were afraid of him.

Is he very heavy? I hope that he recovers for you. I can understand your concern and disappointment. He may have been predisposed to weak tendons and it didn't show up until he was worked regularly.

We had Percheron team and a Percheron cross that was worked and ridden. The one that we rode hated to canter. It was very hard for her so we went everywhere at a walk or jog. She was so so smooth to ride.

chippie":2but0qm3 said:
Is he very heavy? I hope that he recovers for you. I can understand your concern and disappointment. He may have been predisposed to weak tendons and it didn't show up until he was worked regularly.

We had Percheron team and a Percheron cross that was worked and ridden. The one that we rode hated to canter. It was very hard for her so we went everywhere at a walk or jog. She was so so smooth to ride.
Either one of their walk or jog stride can cover some ground. :D

He is around 1350.
Draft tack is way too big and horse size is too small for him. I had to use my head when I got him.....I purchased a one ear headstall and had the head piece replaced with a longer one at a friend's leather shop. After the longer head piece was made all that needed to be done was to slide the ear piece off the head piece that is too short and slide it on the longer piece. It works great and he has a nice 'affordable' western headstall.

I'd be thrilled if he did recover.
I have friends who have offered their horses for me to ride and I ride them, but it's different....I click with this horse and it has been a long time since I have clicked with one. it will all work all... :)

Thank you, Chippie.

hello chippie.

His left fetlock still swells, but it doesn't seem to be as large lately. It looks perfectly normal but only after I take his support boot off.

His right fetlock looks great and there is no swelling. with or without a support boot. :)

My vet suggested I keep support boots on him, 12 hours on/12 hours off. I enlarged his paddock a bit because each morning when I got him out to check his leg and walk him it seemed he was having a hard time going and couldn't put much pressure on the left foot.
Enlarging his paddock helped, and he is not favoring that left ankle at all when I get him out to walk him.

I should add that his fetlock issue does not affects his appetite at all. ;-)

I'm going to look at that link right now.....thank you.

Chippie, I appreciate your help. :nod: I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas. :santa: