Trailer floor lumber

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis

Reaction score
I bought a used stock trailer a couple weeks ago that appeared to have a solid floor. A closer investigation revealed that the very ends of the boards were starting to rot, so I’ve torn it all out to replace. I have some 2” rough cut oak, and couple more smaller oak logs to be cut into boards, but I would have to find another tree to finish the trailer. I also have some large, nearly perfect red elm logs to be cut. A quick web search tells me that it’s a fairly strong lumber, resistant to shock. But does anyone know if it rots easily? Would it be suitable for a trailer floor, or should I just find another oak to cut up?

skyhightree1

Reaction score
personally I don't care what would you use but I would treat it well I use rough sawn oak on my equip trailers and treat it.. however I only use oak and personally think it is what you should use.

OP
M

M.Magis

Reaction score
I did a bit of searching online yesterday. I looked into the rumber, but according the the website I'd have to weld in a lot more supports (12" max). Apparently red elm is the top choice for a lot of people, just hard to find. It's also suceptible to splitting once cut. I'm going to round up enough of both, have it cut and see which looks best. I considered black locust, but worry about it splitting. It's also tough to find a big one without rot.
thanks

Bigfoot

Reaction score
If the oak is red oak, I'd shy away from it. White oak seems to resist decay much better.

OP
M

M.Magis

Reaction score
Good point. I need to check, and if it’s red I’ll probably go with the elm and keep the oak for something else.

Latest posts