Traditional Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

We started buying sim bulls in the 80s.Kids started showing in the 90s when sims started changing. The papers i dug up were from the 90s when we showed sims....I have no idea if we have papers from the 80s, we've moved twice since then. Didnt know i'd need them..lol....Anywho, i did dig up a picture of one of our first sim bulls. We bought him in Greenville texas. The breeder was about the first to get them, he was on a highway, 50? that goes to Commerce. He had a barn that said in big letters BULLS FOR SALE...if anyone is from this area and is old enough to remember, you'll remember this place even if you passed throught. These bulls were huge although this picture doesnt show. Big, big boned, hairy, rough....This is what our cows are out of in the 80s...in the 90s, we went to Stagg Cattle Co bulls. Dr Stagg was also our kids pediatrician.. We bought all our sims in the 90s from him. At the turn of the century, we went angus on our almost all sim cows. ANd today, we have sim/angus cows that are black, black w/f...We still have solid red sim/angus cows, since we still had a red sim bull..

ALACOWMAN":wqr4hxv3 said:
I used a couple traditional types in the 90's ... To hard keeping for my taste...

They did need a lot of feed. The cows I had didn't milk good either. I'm sure theyve fixed that now.

Bigfoot":3iuwri51 said:
ALACOWMAN":3iuwri51 said:
I used a couple traditional types in the 90's ... To hard keeping for my taste...

They did need a lot of feed. The cows I had didn't milk good either. I'm sure theyve fixed that now.
I think part of that was because so many of the varieties of Simmenthals were imported. The were all lumped as Simmenthals because they were "of a type, i.e. spotted orange/red", Montbeliarde(sp) Fleckvieh, Pie Rouge, and probably more. All from different places with different requirements.

I'll dig deep and see if i can find papers on our early bulls. It would be interesting to find out who they were out of. That first year though was tough...We were warned by my sister in law who worked in a feed lot. She said, sims will cause lots of birthing problems. Luckily, some of our very early cows were Brahman mix, which seemed to help a little..But the calves we pulled were monsters. For years it was just how it was. Once we went angus, pulling is mainly a heifer thing. We've almost quit using the wench, most can be done by hand.

cowgirl8":2amqx86p said:
I'll dig deep and see if i can find papers on our early bulls. It would be interesting to find out who they were out of. That first year though was tough...We were warned by my sister in law who worked in a feed lot. She said, sims will cause lots of birthing problems. Luckily, some of our very early cows were Brahman mix, which seemed to help a little..But the calves we pulled were monsters. For years it was just how it was. Once we went angus, pulling is mainly a heifer thing. We've almost quit using the wench, most can be done by hand.
Just don't digging up more papers, we don't want to know.

dun":c7x16ogl said:
Bigfoot":c7x16ogl said:
ALACOWMAN":c7x16ogl said:

I think part of that was because so many of the varieties of Simmenthals were imported. The were all lumped as Simmenthals because they were "of a type, i.e. spotted orange/red", Montbeliarde(sp) Fleckvieh, Pie Rouge, and probably more. All from different places with different requirements.
Using one in a 3way cross with a good milking moma, to keep up with the demand makes a great terminal calf...

Back in the 1980's, I used a smattering of Simmental sires AI; Fleckvieh were just coming on the scene here - more moderate-framed and heavier-muscled than a lot of the French & Swiss types that were the rage at the time.
Used this bull, a fullblood Fleckvieh - ABR Sir Arnold G809, his full brother, and a son.
http://www.bhr-simmentals.com/detail.php?aid=318
At the time, he was a 5-trait leader - CED, BW, WW, MCE, REA - IIRC.
Looking at his current epd profile, he's still pretty decent, and I'd consider using him again, over polled black cows.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... rs=0320938

cowgirl8":1s4z3yy3 said:
160 acres and 30 cows in 1980 to 2600 acres and 250 cows. Couldn't be prouder :D [*]
I'm sure the backyard breeders would love to following your steps without gain any common senses. I've seen few folks with just few acres and few cattle but they have excellent quality cattle. They know what is their breeding plans and their goals. I considered them to be successful cattlemen.

ALACOWMAN":1qgr2ywx said:
:nod: The ranch that I worked for in my early twenties had used them in the past and then moved to red angus and hereford in a two way cross. Anything over a quarter fleck looked like a holstien as soon as the feed dried but the cows with just a touch in there could sure crank out a whale of a calf. :nod:

cow pollinater":3uyqz9h8 said:
ALACOWMAN":3uyqz9h8 said:
:nod: The ranch that I worked for in my early twenties had used them in the past and then moved to red angus and hereford in a two way cross. Anything over a quarter fleck looked like a holstien as soon as the feed dried but the cows with just a touch in there could sure crank out a whale of a calf. :nod:
If you understand this, then you understand what we've been doing for the past 30 years...2006 and up cows finally have the right blend and they can crank out the whale of a calf.. I dont care about papers, % of the mix, all we care about is what hits the ground and brings in the money.

Taurus":9mg6irfm said:
cowgirl8":9mg6irfm said:
160 acres and 30 cows in 1980 to 2600 acres and 250 cows. Couldn't be prouder :D [*]
I'm sure the backyard breeders would love to following your steps without gain any common senses. I've seen few folks with just few acres and few cattle but they have excellent quality cattle. They know what is their breeding plans and their goals. I considered them to be successful cattlemen.

Taurus I agree with what you said and would like to add this... I think a successful cattleman is someone that doesn't have to try to toot their own horn and other folks toot it for them and recognize the quality they are yielding. A good farmer in general does not need to stand up and say hey look at me their stock or crops speak up for them. :2cents:

cowgirl8":3avzx9l7 said:
cow pollinater":3avzx9l7 said:
ALACOWMAN":3avzx9l7 said:
If you understand this, then you understand what we've been doing for the past 30 years...2006 and up cows finally have the right blend and they can crank out the whale of a calf.. I dont care about papers, % of the mix, all we care about is what hits the ground and brings in the money.
If you understand that then you(should, probably don't but should) understand that you can use current sim genetics and get a good dose of heterosis without having to water it down to where they work well for you. Current genetics won't give you the heterosis that a fleck will but you're watering down the fleck anyway so why not just use current genetics?
And why are you arguing with me? I never said anything about your program in this thread. I don't read most of what you post anymore so I was largely unaware that you were busy being defensive against unseen attacks again.

Latest posts