Traditional Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Rawhide_Horseman

Reaction score
I am looking to get into breeding more traditional Herefords. The thing is that they are a little hard to find it seems. I was wondering if anybody knew of anyone that bred them still. I saw a post a guy put up and those cattle had old Brookview bloodlines and then he had a Deewall bull. I am not too familiar with the different foundation bloodlines and breeders of the Herefords that were imported here but i'm working on learning more about them. I would like to find some Herefords like those he had and other more traditional Herefords I have happened to see. I know about the Mini Hereford and I know they have a lot of that "traditional blood" in them but I don't want a super small cow like some of those minis.

I am assuming it was me that you are talking about. I have a Dewall/Brookview bred bull. I have put him over some polled and line 1 Horned cows. I will pm you.

Sadly there are not many of the traditional cattle left. Deewall's, Richard Day in OK and in the polled side Danny Miller are a few of them. There are a few more also. I think Kuhlman's(sp) in NE has been a closed herd and more the old traditional polled type. Sure a few more will chime in also.

I have a Dewall bull, saw the cowherd when I picked him up too.
Cattle are great and so are the Dewall's.
You dont have a location listed so we don't know what part of the world you are in but they are most of the way across Kansas. Only 10 miles North of oklohama though.

jedstivers":2od15kl7 said:
You dont have a location listed so we don't know what part of the world you are in but they are most of the way across Kansas. Only 10 miles North of oklohama though.

If you are talking about being west in KS they are a ways from the CO line. I'm over 100 miles west of them and it is 10 more miles west of me to the CO line. They are close to the OK line and I'm on it. I have heard great things about their cowherd. And intend to go visit them someday.

elkwc":2osxye3t said:
jedstivers":2osxye3t said:

If you are talking about being west in KS they are a ways from the CO line. I'm over 100 miles west of them and it is 10 more miles west of me to the CO line. They are close to the OK line and I'm on it. I have heard great things about their cowherd. And intend to go visit them someday.
Well I considered it west as to the fact I drove there that day from Fayetteville after going out the night before and than when I got the bull that morning he and I didn't stop till we were back in east ar as Far East as we could go.
I did notice when I stopped at the motel that night in Coldwater I was closer to CO than Ar so that Mede me think western.
Guess it's all in prespective.
It was a cool trip there and back, I wish I had time to look around longer.

jedstivers":3dcq0433 said:
elkwc":3dcq0433 said:
jedstivers":3dcq0433 said:

Well I considered it west as to the fact I drove there that day from Fayetteville after going out the night before and than when I got the bull that morning he and I didn't stop till we were back in east ar as Far East as we could go.
I did notice when I stopped at the motel that night in Coldwater I was closer to CO than Ar so that Mede me think western.
Guess it's all in prespective.
It was a cool trip there and back, I wish I had time to look around longer.
It is a long ways and I understand. But to those of us that live in SW KS we get amused and frustrated at those who think Dodge City is SW KS. The only time they think of us is when they take our tax money from the gas/oil royalities. Just a couple of years ago a leader in state legislation stated that he had been to SW KS. When pressed he said he was in Dodge City and it was only a few miles from the CO line. It is 120 miles from where I live. I have some very good friends at Coldwater. We consider it central KS but not sure how they consider it. Like you said it is all perspective. It is a long ways across KS east to west.

Back to the topic, just what is a traditional Hereford? Size? etc? I raise Herefords and am curious. thanks farmguy

farmguy":fwfybo6s said:
Back to the topic, just what is a traditional Hereford? Size? etc? I raise Herefords and am curious. thanks farmguy
Pick a year or a decade. Better yet, pick the time when the Hereford breed was most respected and most profitable. Target that and you will win.

farmguy":1w4l5oso said:

Frame 4.5 bulls that weigh 2000lbs and have natural thickness and muscle. Not fed on fat.
Cows that weigh around 1000-1500 lbs and can stand a drought and still ween 50% calf weight.

( Working cows not cows that you feed everyday with a bucket)

farmguy":xg4hwtr6 said:

Again a question that will have many answers. To me the traditional Hereford is one very similart to what the Deewalls raise. The kind I was raised around on the ranches of NE NM in the 60's and early 70's. Bulls in the mid 5 frame size on average but not less than a 5.0. Bulls that weigh 1,950-2,200 in mature working weight. Cows that range from 1,250-1,400. Cows that have some stretch to them and can cover some country and thrive in a semi arid condition but also do well in better conditions. Cattle that are sound first and have longevity. Cattle that are full of natural muscle and not fed on/smooth muscle. They are hard to find. And when you do either they aren't for sale or they have a waiting list.

904f0d93be200f9f2acd9509e822b0d5

http://www.deewallherefords.com/herd-bulls.html

elkwc":fx0nno37 said:
farmguy":fx0nno37 said:

Again a question that will have many answers. To me the traditional Hereford is one very similart to what the Deewalls raise. The kind I was raised around on the ranches of NE NM in the 60's and early 70's. Bulls in the mid 5 frame size on average but not less than a 5.0. Bulls that weigh 1,950-2,200 in mature working weight. Cows that range from 1,250-1,400. Cows that have some stretch to them and can cover some country and thrive in a semi arid condition but also do well in better conditions. Cattle that are sound first and have longevity. Cattle that are full of natural muscle and not fed on/smooth muscle. They are hard to find. And when you do either they aren't for sale or they have a waiting list.
New Mexico brings up another bull.
In May of 2011 I bought a bull that came from Wagon Mound NM. He was a really good bull but went bad on me. Had some great calves and I kept some and they are the ones I put the Dewall bull on. Have those calves in the ground now.

elkwc":3h9eeeku said:
Sadly there are not many of the traditional cattle left. Deewall's, Richard Day in OK and in the polled side Danny Miller are a few of them. There are a few more also. I think Kuhlman's(sp) in NE has been a closed herd and more the old traditional polled type. Sure a few more will chime in also.

Was just at Danny Millers place today(Ky.).......he has some nice looking bulls.