Traditional Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":3bdk3quw said:
Taurus":3bdk3quw said:
cowgirl8":3bdk3quw said:
160 acres and 30 cows in 1980 to 2600 acres and 250 cows. Couldn't be prouder :D [*]
I'm sure the backyard breeders would love to following your steps without gain any common senses. I've seen few folks with just few acres and few cattle but they have excellent quality cattle. They know what is their breeding plans and their goals. I considered them to be successful cattlemen.

Taurus I agree with what you said and would like to add this... I think a successful cattleman is someone that doesn't have to try to toot their own horn and other folks toot it for them and recognize the quality they are yielding. A good farmer in general does not need to stand up and say hey look at me their stock or crops speak up for them. :2cents:
Read the first two comments on this page.....i commented to them. It didnt come out of thin air.

cowgirl8":38711mmq said:
We started buying sim bulls in the 80s.Kids started showing in the 90s when sims started changing. The papers i dug up were from the 90s when we showed sims....I have no idea if we have papers from the 80s, we've moved twice since then. Didnt know i'd need them..lol....]

Well, not that you need to prove anything to anyone, but ANYONE can look on the ASA web site to see who owns what, and you can even look up your membership and find all the simmentals that have ever been registered to you and your kids. So, if you really wanted to know the registration number of your original bulls, all you have to do it look it up on the ASA website. What was your ranch prefix with the ASA?

I'd like to make a small clarification on what Simmental IS... it's a valley in Switzerland where Sim cows came from, not france, and not Germany... The fleckvieh is from germany, and is a a different breed, they were bred to have similar functions (meat, milk, and draft), and coincidentally, rather similar coloration. What is considered a Simmental today is COMPLETELY unrecognizable from what it was 80 years ago, and I think that's too bad. Our neighbor ran Sim cows on his range, which wasn't terribly good, but those huge cows would have monster calves beside them at weaning.. back in the mid 90's his average weaning weight was 740 lbs from the steers (angus over sim crosses) and every one looked really good.

Here's a picture from 1932

And here's one I found at the sale barn.. I'm sure she was an eating machine, but I suspect she made some impressive calves as well

cowgirl8":1oq53w78 said:
cow pollinater":1oq53w78 said:
ALACOWMAN":1oq53w78 said:
I used a couple traditional types in the 90's ... To hard keeping for my taste...
:nod: The ranch that I worked for in my early twenties had used them in the past and then moved to red angus and hereford in a two way cross. Anything over a quarter fleck looked like a holstien as soon as the feed dried but the cows with just a touch in there could sure crank out a whale of a calf. :nod:
If you understand this, then you understand what we've been doing for the past 30 years...2006 and up cows finally have the right blend and they can crank out the whale of a calf.. I dont care about papers, % of the mix, all we care about is what hits the ground and brings in the money.
Then why are you always posting, "the sims of today aren't the same blah blah blah" when your not even sure what your beast you call a fleck, or simmental, or chi, or water buffalo, or what ever your calling it today, is made up of?
Maybe, just maybe someone had the crazy idea of breeding Simmentals differently to meet different standards, Hmmm... kind of like you did. Well ain't that just a bright idea.

Thank You and Good Night.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'd like to make a small clarification on what Simmental IS... it's a valley in Switzerland where Sim cows came from, not france, and not Germany... The fleckvieh is from germany, and is a a different breed, they were bred to have similar functions (meat, milk, and draft), and coincidentally, rather similar coloration. What is considered a Simmental today is COMPLETELY unrecognizable from what it was 80 years ago, and I think that's too bad.

Nesikep,

You are correct about the Simmental being from Switzerland.

Fleckvieh cattle started in 1830 when original Simmental Cattle from Switzerland were imported to Bavaria and to Austria to improve the local dual-purpose breeds. At these times, the Simmental cattle were famous for their milk production and draught capacity but were late maturing with little depth and coarse bones. In 1920 the herd-book in Southern Germany was closed and the Fleckvieh was developed as an independent dual-purpose breed in Southern Germany, Austria, later also in parts of Italy and France.

The Montbeliarde breed belongs to the Jurassic branch (descended from Bos Frontosus) which the group of Pie Rouge breeds stems from. It therefore belongs to the Simmental and Fleckvieh families, and as such is a member of the World Simmental-Fleckvieh Federation (WSFF) and the European Simmental Federation, which it chaired from 1993 to 1997.

Its History dates back to the beginning of the 18th Century with the breed originally called the Alsatian until around the mid 1800's when it changed to Montbeliarde. This name change came about because farmers from the Bernese Oberland in Switzerland came to set up home in the principality of Montbéliarde, bringing their livestock with them.

Thanks to a methodical selection process, this livestock soon became renowned and started entering shows from 1872 onwards under the name "Montbeliarde Breed". In 1889, it was officially recognized and registered on the national register of French breeds by the French Minister of Agriculture.

I can't imagine owning a herd for 30 years, and not knowing anything about them. Not knowing where they came from, or what breed they are.
Then claim to own three of the major AI bulls. :dunce:
I see the situation clearly. Cattle people know their cows.
And she is so passionate about it. :bs:

The one thing we know about her bulls, they are the sons, the brothers and cousins of the rest of the confetti herd. And they are all going to be half brothers, half cousins, uncles and cousins at the same time. Dad and son with the same cow. Mom and sister/cousin and aunt. Can you believe that??????

I would have records on each cow if I had a 30 year old herd. I would be on top of the breeding, and nothing would get by. How can you gain heifers if you throw all of your bulls in the same pasture, and claim you can tell a calf is by a certain bull because it has white hair in it's ears. Gotta love that system.

Real pounds come from a farmer that knows his business on crossing the breeds. Go visit one that knows what they are doing. Compare your confetti calves to theirs. Then you can learn about uniformity. Look at his bulls, or if he AI's, then just look at the calves.

Just knowing that the same bull calves from the herd are being turned back out into the herd gives me chills. If I had a 30 year project cow herd, I would cross the most efficient way possible, and I would know each cow and have full records on her.

Does any of this make sense for someone who claims to be an 30 year expert. Not with me. I think there are only a couple that buy into it.
Cattle people know their cattle.

To imagine my prized herd had an inbred bull calf that should have been cut, is now breeding it's sisters, cousins, and it mother, I would lay awake at night and not be able to sleep. That totally tears the herd down after many years of work. The calves will become smaller and weaker.
Can you imagine that in your herd? :shock:

I am afraid that I am going to have a nightmare of owning this herd if I shut my eyes tonight. :cry2: :yuck:

Chuckie you need to have your hormone levels checked...and yall call me long winded.
What you dont seem to want to listen to is we have 5 separate herds. Most of you guys have small herds, one bull, one or two pastures.....I have 5 herds, all have their purpose. All have their own bulls. BB's pasture is a terminal herd...we have him to produce the biggest calf possible, because, they will be sold at weaning. We have registered bulls. I've said many time, I DONT CARE ABOUT PAPERS!!!, we get them they get filed never to be looked at again. I leave the bull selection to the breeder we buy bulls from. We have a commercial herd, not a registered herd. If i had a herd of 20 cows, YES, i'd know those cows inside and out....I HAVE 250 and 10 bulls( just sold one so we are down to 10 but started the year with 12) Our main goal with our herds is to get live calves and big calves. Every calf will be sold except for the top heifers. The breeding of that calf does not matter to me, he will be sold at weaning, he'll be gone never to be seen again. This is how commercial cattle businesses work.

I guess I'm guilty of having those thoughts Chuckie. I'm just a small commercial guy.
I would consider raising a Bull from my herd if the right one comes along and I felt like I could live without his Dam.
I'd probably breed him to her and let her go with the new calf. Then he would be breeding aunts, cousins and half sisters. But now, that's just me.
I will give Cowgirl8 credit. Right,wrong or just plain confusing, she's hung in here.

fitz

cowgirl8":39o07vnl said:
Chuckie you need to have your hormone levels checked...and yall call me long winded.
What you dont seem to want to listen to is we have 5 separate herds. Most of you guys have small herds, one bull, one or two pastures.....I have 5 herds, all have their purpose. All have their own bulls. BB's pasture is a terminal herd...we have him to produce the biggest calf possible, because, they will be sold at weaning. We have registered bulls. I've said many time, I DONT CARE ABOUT PAPERS!!!, we get them they get filed never to be looked at again. I leave the bull selection to the breeder we buy bulls from. We have a commercial herd, not a registered herd. If i had a herd of 20 cows, YES, i'd know those cows inside and out....I HAVE 250 and 10 bulls( just sold one so we are down to 10 but started the year with 12) Our main goal with our herds is to get live calves and big calves. Every calf will be sold except for the top heifers. The breeding of that calf does not matter to me, he will be sold at weaning, he'll be gone never to be seen again. This is how commercial cattle businesses work.
Last time I checked, commercial folks don't keep crossbred bulls out of their own herd then use them on their own herd. Nor breeding brangus to simbrah which is a taboo thing for most southern commercial folks.

fitz":2x2bbimu said:
I guess I'm guilty of having those thoughts Chuckie. I'm just a small commercial guy.
I would consider raising a Bull from my herd if the right one comes along and I felt like I could live without his Dam.
I'd probably breed him to her and let her go with the new calf. Then he would be breeding aunts, cousins and half sisters. But now, that's just me.
I will give Cowgirl8 credit. Right,wrong or just plain confusing, she's hung in here.

fitz

Add me to the list as one who shares Chuckie's thoughts, fitz. I give cowgirl8 credit for hanging in there too but it borders on being stubborn and lacking the capacity to capitulate. Many of her posts are poorly communicated. It would help to establish a point and follow it to a conclusion. If the conclusion is contrary to her initial thesis, then capitulation is the appropriate action. I think that is why so many users like Chuckie are clearly announcing their frustrations.

Me, if I ever was so unfortunate to be WRONG. I would capitulate. :lol: :lol:

Taurus":36gxoxb1 said:
Red Bull Breeder":36gxoxb1 said:
Limflex Balancer Brangus Braford Simangus
None of them are mongrels.
Maybe I should had mentioned mongrels in the first place instead of call them crossbreds in case I don't want to offend anyone with the breeds RBB mentioned. I don't have any problems with crossbreds, just mongrels.

I think you guys are confused because you have small herds, a few cows. Your cow job is easy. I also think that you read like i'm talking about the same herd ever time.
Can i ask....Everyones fav bull BB JR, if he produces a giant weanling, why shouldnt i use him?
His steers and heifers are bigger than the rest of the other herds calves.

I wouldnt even touch this subject except its the one several of you like to throw at me over and over.

cowgirl8":3moaa15z said:
I think you guys are confused because you have small herds, a few cows. Your cow job is easy. I also think that you read like i'm talking about the same herd ever time.
Can i ask....Everyones fav bull BB JR, if he produces a giant weanling, why shouldnt i use him?
I like how you just assumed that us folks have a small herd...

BB JR may produce some big weanlings but its not consistent and no uniformity in his calves at all. Also who knows who sired that calf. Heck that giant weanling might not be his.

Taurus":3hzqj19h said:
cowgirl8":3hzqj19h said:
I like how you just assumed that us folks have a small herd...

BB JR may produce some big weanlings but its not consistent and no uniformity in his calves at all. Also who knows who sired that calf. Heck that giant weanling might not be his.
Why do you assume the calves are not his?

Latest posts