Tractor Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I need to replace the front tires on my tractor. They are not tough enough. They are 15 inch. Who makes a good 8 or 10 ply steering tire. I know there are several on the market but I do not like shopping. Just want to pay for them and be pretty much trouble free. Any help would be appreciated. Tom :cboy:

kerley":1z64yx7x said:
I need to replace the front tires on my tractor. They are not tough enough. They are 15 inch. Who makes a good 8 or 10 ply steering tire. I know there are several on the market but I do not like shopping. Just want to pay for them and be pretty much trouble free. Any help would be appreciated. Tom :cboy:

I suggest going to a local farmers cooperative. They generally have a good supply and their customers (farmers) won't buy junk. Well, maybe once but not for long.

Used airplane tires would be tough enough for you, but not worth a durn for the steering part since they're pretty wide and slick.

Thanks for the help. Have any of you ever used the ribbed airplane recapped tires. They sound like the answer. I had another flat this morning on a tire fixed yesterday. It gets real old real fast. Tom :cboy:

kerley":1n9bjxkt said:
Thanks for the help. Have any of you ever used the ribbed airplane recapped tires. They sound like the answer. I had another flat this morning on a tire fixed yesterday. It gets real old real fast. Tom :cboy:

What's causing the flats? The solution to the problem depends a lot on why they happen.

Dun, It is punctures from brush. I have had boots and slime installed but these tires just wont hold up to my use. I had another flat this morning, Not good with Arthritis. Factory size 7.5L-15 steering tires on my Kubota. The smallest Aircraft tire is size 9.5L-15 -10 ply recap with farm tread for $98.00. Sounds like it might work ok. I am concerned about the difference in size. Any ideas ? Thanks Tom. :cboy:

kerley":2ocyf3lf said:
Dun, It is punctures from brush. I have had boots and slime installed but these tires just wont hold up to my use. I had another flat this morning, Not good with Arthritis. Factory size 7.5L-15 steering tires on my Kubota. The smallest Aircraft tire is size 9.5L-15 -10 ply recap with farm tread for $98.00. Sounds like it might work ok. I am concerned about the difference in size. Any ideas ? Thanks Tom. :cboy:

The larger size shouldn't cause problems, but I would get them mounted on the new wheels for $30 more. (your wheels might be too narrow plus I would bet the tires would be hard to mount)

KenB":104k65cb said:
kerley":104k65cb said:

The larger size shouldn't cause problems, but I would get them mounted on the new wheels for $30 more. (your wheels might be too narrow plus I would bet the tires would be hard to mount)

Also, don't get them tubeless. They will eventually leak air around the bead/rim (at least mine did). I had the local service station put tubes in them, problem solved. BTW, they can be mounted with conventional tire mounting equipment because they modify the beads when they refurb the tires.

I had the tires on my skid steer filled with foam.It was more than the tires and I can hardley lift them,but some of the best money I ever spent.I can run over anything.

We have recaps on the front of one tractor, but they aren't aircraft. They seem to be holding up but haven't really been on long enough to judge them. We did have a batwing with aircraft tires. They had zero air pressure in them and were still so stiff they looked full of air. Do not put foam in tractor tires. My FIL did that one time and my wife almost flipped the tractor and roller when the tire casing peeled off of the foam and she jacknifed going down the road.

dyates":2hcb79jg said:
My FIL did that one time and my wife almost flipped the tractor and roller when the tire casing peeled off of the foam and she jacknifed going down the road.

O I never thought of that, good advice. I don't think I would want foam in anything I didn't use for clearing or demo work ,as the ride would be awful hard on you.

I run used aircraft tires on my MX110 loader tractor. They are a good stiff tire, hold up to what ever weight I put on the loader, haven't had a flat since I put them on, however the do ride more rough do to the thicker ply tire. (and they aren't ribbed, so they don't steer as nicely in the mud. ) I would certianly recomend them for a mower tractor.

My 2004 Kubota has 5.7-15 ribbed front steering tires. They are tube type tires. If I replace the tires with tubeless tires will I have to change the wheels or will the factory wheels work with tube or tubeless tires ? Tom :cboy:

Latest posts